Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squawk as you see fit (Off Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

Shannon757 wrote: »
    Well we're all passive aggressive pilots with alcohol issues apparently
    ... I thought we all realised that decades ago :D ... we're either that or we're the lads up on the mound on the Old Airport Road, drunk nonetheless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

man98 wrote: »
    ... I thought we all realised that decades ago :D ... we're either that or we're the lads up on the mound on the Old Airport Road, drunk nonetheless.

Unfortunately I am neither :(

Can I just wish all the wonderful posters here a Merry Christmas and a happy New Year and thank them for their contributions over the year. Safe flying

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Mayday - Air Crash Investigations is back (Germanwings for this week) if its not too simplistic for the regulars here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Buffman

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

If the owner really cared about the birds he would be in economy, while flying them first class.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

while flying them first class
    This is extremely common, some times it may be one or two birds, other times like this one, the aircraft is dedicated to the birds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

Just got a call to say I'm being brought on an all expenses paid trip to LA with aer lingus :eek:. I may post here a good bit but I'm actually not much of a flyer, and this will be my first long haul.

It's an A330 for this route yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

jimbis wrote: »
    Just got a call to say I'm being brought on an all expenses paid trip to LA with aer lingus :eek:. I may post here a good bit but I'm actually not much of a flyer, and this will be my first long haul.

A330 yep.

Economy or Business class? :D

JCX BXC wrote: »
    A330 yep.

Economy or Business class? :D

I'm happy either way, It was an aer lingus promotion compitition on 98fm so I'm hoping its business :p

• Advertisement

Congrats jimbis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭john boye

I watched I believe in miracles last night, the film about Nottingham forest's glory days in the late 70s. Was surprised to see they used EI for most of their European travel. They brought the European Cup (now champions league) trophy home from Munich on a EI 737 for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

jimbis wrote: »

Congrats. Need company :D make sure you get to the Petersen in L.A. and take a drive up around Angeles National Forest if you rent a car ;)

I'm already 'the company' for my brother lol.
    I'll look into that though, the more advice on places to visit the better :).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

If you read the small print, you'll find that you are travelling in the hold...with pet food and loose bags so do bring a warm jacket and a torch and a few snacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lustrum

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/cityjet-expects-jobs-losses-over-london-city-base-downsizing-1.2992853

CityJet expecting job losses from London City base. That's never good news, there's quite a few Irish over there aswell, particularly amongst the first officers. Base is to be closed at end of March, but they're allowing 8 captains to continue to be based there

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

I've a first flight experience in Weston tomorrow, a present from the other half for a recent "big" birthday :)

Hoping the weather doesn't get any worse or it'll be postponed...

@Lustrum.... were Cityjet recruiting pilots at the end of 2016?

smurfjed wrote: »
    @Lustrum.... were Cityjet recruiting pilots at the end of 2016?

They were. And advertising recently for a cadetship with OAA. 8 trainees got dropped recently too, 4 doing line training and 4 who were still in the sim doing the type rating. Looks like someone badly miscalculated the need for pilots, and unfortunately it's guys and girls taking their first steps into the industry who are losing out

Pity you can't get English ATC online - flying in to London tonight ATC made us aware of a police helicopter close to our final approach course....a few seconds later they called the helicopter to let them know that the PM was due to give a press conference outside Westminster, but nobody could hear her, so could they move away a bit please! The secret powers of the British prime minister!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I see the latest season on Dragons Den on RTE is being sponsored by Stobart Group, who mention London Southend Airport in the clip, calling it "Londons next big airport". Does anyone have any idea what the play is here? Looking at wikipedia, there are currently no scheduled services between SEN and the island of Ireland.

Stobart Air themselves operated DUB-SEN and cut it due to poor loads.

Being honest I have no idea, it doesn't make sense in my head, maybe a sign of a route to come?

I still see a truck driving around every now and then advertising "Aer Lingus regional Dublin-Southend"

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

A friend passed this on to me. She saw it posted on facebook from flight crew colleague managed to video the Aurora last night coming home from the US:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M32pHuHMas&feature=youtu.be

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

This is mesmerising - La Guardia time lapse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=102&v=sLn1ZBntt6k

Boeing Message....Join us for live coverage of the 787-10 First Flight. Our webcast is scheduled to begin between 9:25 AM EST (13:25 UTC / GMT) and 9:45 AM EST (13:45 UTC/GMT). Takeoff is anticipated shortly thereafter, subject to weather and other factors. We will update the site periodically with schedule information, so please keep checking back for the latest news on this historic aviation event.
    Weblink below doesnt work... sorry...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Emirates unveil plans for brand new triple decker jet, a new record for largest passenger jet.

https://www.facebook.com/Emirates/posts/1132500013526413

Group hug everybody :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

http://www.independent.ie/life/travel/travel-news/baggage-fees-soar-to-240-per-couple-as-aer-lingus-hikes-prices-in-europe-35581259.html
    Aer Lingus has defended the price changes, saying that 58pc of short-haul customers travel on its 30 'near' services, where it says prices have fallen.

"While guests travelling to 'mid' and 'far' destinations incur higher baggage fees, guests travelling to 'near' destinations in fact are paying 40pc less when compared to baggage fees at the same time last year," a spokesperson for Aer Lingus said.

I think the problem here is that people are way way more likely to want to bring a checked bag on the "mid" and "far" destinations, so if I were them, I wouldn't bother trying to justify what is just a run of the mill price rise

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Zonda999 wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother trying to justify what is just a run of the mill price rise

Media run riot when you don't reply, though. "Sources" get pulled out of darkened regions not appropriate to discus, for one,

• Advertisement

Found this quite interesting in the Ryanair FAQ's

"Does Ryanair carry human remains?
    Ryanair will carry human remains, but only on the London Stanstead-Knock route.

If you would like to make a reservation please contact Skytrader in Birmingham on +44 870 4422979."

Especially quite funny that Ryanair themselves spelt Stansted wrong!

Advertisement