Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squawk as you see fit (Off Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Always wondered why that route specifically has them. Its not due to there being no other operator who will take remains LON-NOC. I would imagine it has a slightly higher volume due to the high emigration from the West but even then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭john boye

Did they not used to take them on the LGW-DUB route?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

L1011 wrote: »
    Always wondered why that route specifically has them. Its not due to there being no other operator who will take remains LON-NOC. I would imagine it has a slightly higher volume due to the high emigration from the West but even then.

NOC airport is the only airport in the Republic that has the license for the carraige of human remains, to get them carried into other airports in the Republic you need to get special permission now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

I was out flying a kite with my nephew earlier (brainwashing him into aviation early).
    This plane flew right over us, turned back and done a tight circuit over us and continued on. I'd like to think the pilot seen us and made my nephews day.
    Didn't have my specs though so I couldn't read the reg.

Video isn't the greatest because I only got my phone out at the last min.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Think we'll ever see McD's in T2? Burger king isnt a patch on them at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

When did the name of this thread change?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Changed a few days ago after complaints about confusion with the R116 thread. Once things settle down again, it will get named back to what it was.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I'm on a United 737-900ER at the mo over the middle of the US. First time with United (no volunteers asked on this one! :D). You can almost smell the factory off it. Very noisy though. Then again I'm sitting in an exit row at the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

ED E wrote: »
    Think we'll ever see McD's in T2? Burger king isnt a patch on them at all.

Neither of them are a patch on real food :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Have to say Chopped in T1 is great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Neither of them are a patch on real food :D

When its 5AM and you've dragged yourself across from the southside garbage food suddenly has a huge appeal.

When its 5AM and you've dragged yourself across from the southside garbage food suddenly has a huge appeal.

Try Clare

Didn't pay sufficient attention buying flights. Have now realised that Air France (direct, no agent/consolidator) have sold me a 45 minute connection at CDG.

Like that's going to happen...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Have to say Chopped in T1 is great.

Where in T1 is it?

Where in T1 is it?

Ground floor of the food court, few doors back from Starbucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Ground floor of the food court, few doors back from Starbucks.

Excellent thank you! Haven't been in T1 in ages but flying out of there this evening so that's dinner sorted

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Had a short flight in EI-BJM this morning. Very enjoyable :)

Was a gift from herself. Got to take control for a few minutes, which was cool and a little nerve wracking!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Zonda999 wrote: »
    I see the latest season on Dragons Den on RTE is being sponsored by Stobart Group, who mention London Southend Airport in the clip, calling it "Londons next big airport". Does anyone have any idea what the play is here? Looking at wikipedia, there are currently no scheduled services between SEN and the island of Ireland.
    Stobart Air themselves operated DUB-SEN and cut it due to poor loads.

Being honest I have no idea, it doesn't make sense in my head, maybe a sign of a route to come?

I still see a truck driving around every now and then advertising "Aer Lingus regional Dublin-Southend"

A month down the line and its been announced that Stobart are bringing DUB-SEN back from October under the Flybe banner.

Just as a point re the above, the story in the Independent cited poor passenger numbers as the reason for the 2015 cancellation - the numbers were poor because Flybe upped the cost to £250+ per seat which obviously wasn't competitive. They were just interested in protecting their route to/from London City.

KLM were usually cheapest for me on DUB-AMS-DUB trips when they came in. Had to book one today for ~6 weeks away and I suspect they're getting an increase in connecting traffic and really don't want/care for point to point now:

Need to bring a small-ish checked bag so these prices include the lowest checked in option

KLM want €416 + whatever their debit card fee is; and this is after Flying Blue baggage discounts
    EI want €181

I think I can buy my own €230 of sandwiches and Heineken!

FR are cheaper again - €125 at poor times, more at better times but not even exceeding EI

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Finally got back up into the sky again in a non-airliner. Been a while.

G-ILDA

I'm pleased :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Finally got back up into the sky again in a non-airliner. Been a while.

G-ILDA

I'm pleased :)
    You're in the UK I expect then?

Might be a little small for you but the Irish Military and War Museum in Meath has a opening this weekend of tbeir new expanded premises.

Edit: silly phone and my fat fingers do not happy couple make!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Actually, I'm just off the Chunnel (Last time I was in Dover, the hovercraft were running), and am in Dunkirk.

I swung by the museum a couple years back. Thought it a little small for the price, but I'll give 'em another crack once they have finished teir planned expansion. What's an "Iremuse"?

VS seem to be scooping connecting pax off before the bus to the terminal at Gatwick today. Large stag group connecting to Vegas so it may be due to that but I've never seen it before.

Separately, I'm really not up to getting the 5am airport hopper anymore. At least it wasn't raining

Would love to be spotting in Lanzarote this evening!

GCRR 181600Z 36031G42KT 9999 PO FEW030 26/17 Q1013 WS ALL RWY

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Folks what is the best online website for buying GA gear? I need to pick up a headset. Thinking of a David Clark H10-13.4 unless anyone has any better ideas?? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

get as good an ANR set as you can afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Just a heads up for people on Ryanair seating policy:

While historically, insteead of pre booking seats on Ryanair, when travelling as a couple, you might just make the effort of checking in online as soon as allowable (4 days before flight currently) in order to get in ahead of the crowd and get seated adjacent to each other. Not any more, looks like Ryanair have decided that in order to incentivise more seat reservations, to seat people deliverately separate from each other even if there are rows of empty seats yet to be allocated. I haven;t seen it in the Irish media but some in the UK have and I've also found people giving out about it on trip advisor, all in the last week or so

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/ryanair-flights-middle-seats-assigned-passengers-pay-reserve-changed-seating-policy-a7750581.html

https://www.tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k7135175-o320-Ryanair_Allocated_Seating-Air_Travel.html

https://www.tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k9801349-o20-Ryanair_seats_together-Air_Travel.html

I wouldn't be posting this if i hadn't come across this first hand but when checking in for a flight to the UK at the weekend this morning for the girlfriend and myself, we were not put sitting adjacent to each other. (And I attempted a dummy booking and saw there were no shortage of empty rows on the flight) Whats more, we have each been given middle seats, as the independent uk story alludes to, i might add.

Now I'm not complaining about this, to be quite honest about this, I expected Ryanair to do this when they first introduced allocated seating back in 2014, but all in all it is a bit harsh and i reckon will unduly pi$$ people off, especially as we come into the summer with plenty people flying FR on longer routes to the Canaries and what not.

I just don;t think there is any common knowledge about this out there, and I don't think Ryanair will ever explicitly admit to changing their policy. People are slowly realising though I see, I noticed in comments below an story on their Facebook page on their results today, a commenter mentioned it, and it was the same in the Journal.ie story on the Ryanair results earlier, some one mentioned it in the comments section

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

More power to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

anyone noticed anything unusual on Ryanair's destination list lately?

Advertisement