Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squawk as you see fit (Off Topic Thread)

Options
1394041424345»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,907 ✭✭✭✭josip

Maybe it's bread and butter for everyone on here, but I'll always be impressed by crosswind landings.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,860 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Yeah I think they’re taking it all a little bit far now…..

it was nice when the airport arrivals board would show the final flight in as being Santa’s….. but anything beyond that is a bit cringe… because those who it’s aimed at are too young to care…

Not gonna lie but I was fairly impressed with the view from my hotel room in Stansted last night… and so glad I asked the girl for an apron view room…

• Registered Users Posts: 34,689 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

But but but it's impossible to sleep if there is a plane within a mile of you... 🤣

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

Now in fairness, I was woken up this morning by 2 aircraft departing Palanga airport in Lithuania which is about 4km from our house….

Granted though they were both Eurofighter Typhoon’s departing with full afterburners… which make a bit of a racket…

Tsk, they should have a noise abatement procedure for afterburner takeoffs 😁

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Administrators Posts: 53,762 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Has anyone noticed that the Google Maps satellite view of Dublin Airport has no planes in it at all?

Every single gate and stand is empty.

Seems very unlikely this ever happens in reality, I wonder if they do it deliberately for maps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,678 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Google do it for all airports and also ships - composite photography from multiple passes or just bog standard photoshop. I have no idea why.

In Dublin, they have photoshopped out the two permanently moored boats on the North quays, resulting in there being a marker for the Cill Airne pub sitting in the water!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,167 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Interestingly when you look at Shannon, there's both an aircraft coming off the runway and an aircraft on stand (A Norweigan Air Shuttle, I see where they got their nickname). Wonder why they don't apply the same standard.

Seems quite odd to blur out aircraft and ships in fairness. I wonder does the technology blur out planes captured while flying?

• Administrators Posts: 53,762 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It must be a recent enough thing for Dublin, fairly sure until relatively recently you could see loads of planes on the ground.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

There are/were a few anolmalies of aircraft captured inflight

Usually resulting in weird multicoloured displaced images.

Jesus fcuking H Christ……

Just got blasted by a double sonic boom from what I can only presume was a QRF from the local Eurofighter Typhoons here in Palanga, Lithuania…. Obviously the Russians are up to something out in the Baltic Sea….

Scared the absolute be Jaysus out of us!!!!!

The whole house shook…..

Heh, about 25 years ago I was motorcycling down some N-road in the south of France when a pair of Mirages did a low level supersonic pass not far ahead of me. I heard them later! They obviously do (or, did) get away with a lot of stuff there back then.

Was on holiday in Kos in 2003 when a couple of HAF F-16s did a fast subsonic low level pass not far offshore, they and their neighbour are two NATO nations that like to keep each other on their toes cough

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭AnRothar

New podcast.

Should be interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

That's a good-quality and interesting production.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Very enjoyable :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Very interesting indeed. Thanks for sharing.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭3d4life

www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIpo3nbdVuM

Just a clip…to see how things have gone backwards in 35 years.

I have recollection of a thread for these sort of old clips … but can find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭john boye

I don't remember everyone having smartphones in 1989

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭3d4life

Yep ! Thanks !

Looks like my franglaise has taken several steps backwards in the last year :(

Sorry to mislead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

I'm a bit of an AV Geek and follow some good vloggers.

Petter (Mentour) (He's a training Captain on 737) produces really good videos about accidents and has another channell that discusses a lot about the Industry. Well worth a follow

https://www.youtube.com/%40MentourPilot

https://www.youtube.com/%40MentourNow

Josh Cahill, another very good AV Journalist. Produces good videos of everything and anything from flight reviews, to challenges.

https://www.youtube.com/%40JoshCahill

Noel Phillips, more light hearted but some good vidoes also. More airline reviews than anything else, does some challenges.

https://www.youtube.com/%40noelphilips

Most on here probably aware of the above but for those who aren't, the above are well worth a follow

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭breadmond

Mentour is great, probably the best of the accident investigation channels out there at the moment. Some interesting videos about trends on the industry too

He is/was a Ryanair pilot based out of Dublin wasn’t he?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Think so ye, based out of Girona now. So not sure if he is still Ryanair or if Vueling fly out of there

Edit - It is predominantly Ryanair so i'll assume he's still with them

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

I'll be staying in Shannon over next weekend, 22 n 23/6. Is there anything interesting expected into the airport over the weekend (I mean planes, not passengers). I would love to see an Antonov, but I know that's unlikely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭emo72

What's going on with 3 choppers over south dublin

Advertisement