Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squawk as you see fit (Off Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Booked my first Ryanair flight since 2010. Worth giving the new cuddly image a go for it being a third of the price (20 quid return to Manchester, seeing as there's 16.50 of APD I'm actually costing them rather a lot).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

Better be fixed by Paddy's Day next year. :rolleyes:

http://www.thejournal.ie/government-jet-broken-1650016-Sep2014/

pajor wrote: »
    Better be fixed by Paddy's Day next year. :rolleyes:

http://www.thejournal.ie/government-jet-broken-1650016-Sep2014/

Its not worth fixing, it needs replacing but that's politically impossible to do any time other than just after a general election...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Politicians can always use the commercial airlines... It's cheaper for the state

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

MYOB wrote: »
    Its not worth fixing, it needs replacing but that's politically impossible to do any time other than just after a general election...
    I love that the journal headline states "one of the Govts jet has broken down". Images of an aircraft on a hard shoulder spring to mind.
    It was flown with no issues over to the US for its annual maintenance and problems were spotted during the course of this process.

MYOB wrote: »
    Booked my first Ryanair flight since 2010...................20 quid return to Manchester..............
    While I am an upfront EI fanboy....how can you you not take that deal?
    It costs me approx E20 to get back to up North from Dublin on Bus Eireainn when I have to!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Politicians can always use the commercial airlines... It's cheaper for the state

I think better use of scheduled services and a Net Jets account would render MATS obsolete.

The money expended could be put to better use by the Air Corps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

http://www.controller.com/listingsdetail/aircraft-for-sale/BOEING-747-8/2012-BOEING-747-8/1316191.htm

Anyone want to hazard a guess as to what they'd be looking for for this?:D

Zonda999 wrote: »
    http://www.controller.com/listingsdetail/aircraft-for-sale/BOEING-747-8/2012-BOEING-747-8/1316191.htm

Too much - I believe thats the frame Lufty rejected as its wildly out of spec with production models.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I don't think so, I believe that it was supposed to be HZ-HMS1, destined to someone who died before the aircraft was delivered.

http://boeing-test-flights.blogspot.ie/2012/07/n458bj-hz-hms1-prince-sultan-bin.html

The problem with aircraft like this is the interior cost, usually its more than the aircraft purchase cost.

Zonda999 wrote: »

List price is $375m.........lets offer them $75M and use it for the Govt Jet!!

• Advertisement

I can't imagine the Air Corps would be able to handle that at Baldonnel though!:D

Trying to sell that must be close to impossible though and they're surely willing to take a monstrous discount off list!

must be close to impossible
    Actually i think that it was recently sold. Remember that with online ads, you can be looking at an agency trying to sell something and not the principal.

15027897679_a757769d67_o.jpg

Seen in Dublin airport as you go for the 200 gates..... what on earth is this supposed to symbolise ?

15028171867_62a85bea34_o.jpg

Crappy IPAD photography, we had talked about this French VIP airline a while back, are they actually in operation? I was in CDG on 3 days and that aircraft didn't appear to have moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,473 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

passed it a few times when taxiing in CDG, like the livery. According to FR24 it does actually see time in the air...

http://www.flightradar24.com/data/airplanes/f-htag

https://www.lacompagnie.com/en/

15196915266_91386184a5_b.jpg

I got excited for a minute when I saw the picture! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

oh ffs...... that just takes the biscuit...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Kind of related. Here's the smallest 747 you'll ever see :pac:
    Nimr wrote: »
    *sigh* Journalism really hits a new lows every time they report something in aviation

08fec59af199165872be9df534a01f59.png

http://rt.com/usa/us-laguardia-crash-landing-442/

smurfjed wrote: »

I wonder what colour the weather radar display showed ?!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Has anyone read this? Is it good?

I'm just starting now.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 DC403l

Anybody know when the aer lingus schedules for summer 15 come out? I'm just wondering did Aer Lingus discontinue the Stockholm arlanda service? It's meant to be all year acording to wiki

DC403l wrote: »
    Anybody know when the aer lingus schedules for summer 15 come out? I'm just wondering did Aer Lingus discontinue the Stockholm arlanda service? It's meant to be all year acording to wiki

Some are already in the system (can be seen on ei.com) final confirmation is usually end Sept/early Oct. So another 1-3 weeks to go.

Female Top Gun leads UK's first Iraq combat mission: As Britain goes to war for first time in six years, two Toronto jets make sortie over jihadi territory... but drop no bombs
    DailyMail 28th Sep.

Are these made in Canada? :)

The following was posted today on the Facebook page of Cork TD Jim Daly. I emboldened the few bits here people might find interesting.
    Ever wondered why Ryanair has not bought the old Terminal or whether Cork -Dublin route will be restored or if transatlantic flights from Cork will become a reality. Below is an article that I wrote which appeared in this week's Southern Star to answer these and other questions re Cork Airport
    The future of Cork Airport is of particular importance to West Cork as efforts continue on many fronts to grow tourism numbers in the years ahead. Last Friday morning at 7.30am I and a number of my party colleagues joined the Minister for Transport, Sport and Tourism Paschal Donohue at a meeting with management at Cork airport to discuss the above and many other questions regarding the future of the airport. On arrival, the fog continued to envelop the airport causing me to wonder why such a location was chosen for the airport which was opened in 1961 and catered for 10,000 passengers in its first year of operations.

Cork Airport is the second largest airport in the state and currently serves 50 routes and expects to accommodate 2.15 million passengers in 2014. The new terminal completed in 2006 at a cost of well in excess of €100 million has capacity for up to 4 million passengers which is double its existing passenger numbers.
    The biggest challenge to Cork Airport is competing with a resurgent Shannon Airport which has recently gained independence from the DAA is debt free and has agreed a €0 fee arrangement with Ryanair for all passengers landing and taking off from the airport over the next five years. By contrast Cork Airport is almost €200 million in debt and charges up to €8.60 per passenger on year 6 rising incrementally from €0 on year one. While making an operating profit of €5 million euro per annum, the airport is straddled with servicing its enormous debt and coupled with depreciation records a loss of €15 million per annum. This clearly is not a sustainable position for the airport.

The most interesting figure relating to Cork Airport is the percentage of passengers resident in Ireland using the airport each year. At Cork almost 70% of travellers are resident here already versus just above 50% at Dublin and Shannon. Here lies the greatest opportunity for Cork Airport – to grow the number of inbound tourists to the airport. This will result in a major bonus for tourism in the region. Areas like Germany are very poorly served by existing routes and the development of such routes is a no brainer when it comes to increasing visitors to West Cork an area that has always been popular with the German tourists.

Unlike its nearest neighbours Kerry and Waterford, Cork airport does not receive any state subventions from the tax payer each year. The debt issue has to be tackled by Government intervention. National Aviation policy needs to recognise Cork Airport as a regional airport and designate it as the principal international Gateway to the Wild Atlantic Way. Cork Airport should also be designated as the convention and conference gateway for Business tourism in the South of Ireland as the development of the Cork Convention Centre progresses. The State’s Tourism bodies and the two local Authorities need to join forces in a coordinated way to develop on a public private model a marketing fund to attract new routes and promote areas like West Cork to the British, French and German markets.

Plans are at an advanced stage to bring back the Cork Dublin route initially as a transatlantic feeder route by Stobart Air. It is hoped this service might be in place by April 2015 but its future will be determined by demand set against the backdrop of improved road, rail and Bus travel on the same route. The Cooperation of airlines in using the route as a feeder to onward journeys from Dublin will be key to its success. The existing runway at 2.1Km’s in length can facilitate the introduction of transatlantic flights to the East coast of the United States and this possibility is currently being discussed with airline companies with the hope of establishing a number of routes to the US in the next couple of years. The old terminal is available for rent to any company and has been viewed by a number of interested parties. The annual rates bill on such a large structure would be very significant and the existing concrete floors would not be ideal for the laying of cable and fibre optic wires etc. However the premises are available for lease to any company including Ryanair with I’m told no reasonable offer being refused.

[IMG][/img]11775753186_c2e0834c33.jpgGulfstream G650 N44KJ Private by mm-photoart, on Flickr Linked to the collection of Matthias Michel and used for educational purposes.

As my "gossip" has now made it into the public domain, its sad to see an aircraft destroyed like this.

Both engines were cooked during the engine start whilst under the control of the crew.

Both engines were cooked during the engine start whilst under the control of the crew.
    How would one actually do that? It seems shocking to me, stupidity or a simple thing if distracted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 821 ✭✭✭eatmyshorts

[IMG][/img]11775753186_c2e0834c33.jpgGulfstream G650 N44KJ Private by mm-photoart, on Flickr

How'd they manage to do that?

It appears that they selected CRANK rather than START, one engine at a time, with both rotating they opened the FUEL COCKS, and then selected MANUAL IGNITION, the result equals $14 million.

I live in a glass house so I never take pleasure in others misfortunes, my purpose with these discussions is to allow others to learn from the events. But this event is really bizarre, and the methodology used to start the engines had nothing to do with Gulfstream nor Flight Safety procedures.

• Advertisement

C4 News there just had a reporter standing on a flight path so they could zoom out from an approaching plane to her - talking about West Africa and Ebola.

It was an Aer Lingus A320. Don't think that's been near Sierra Leone any time recently!

Advertisement