Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wet suit

Options
  • 25-04-2013 7:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭

Just bought a starter wetsuit online, and am wondering about the fit when it arrives. Im a big lad , 6"4' and 17st and just wondering how do I know if the fit is correct.would be grateful for all advice

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Just bought a starter wetsuit online, and am wondering about the fit when it arrives. Im a big lad , 6"4' and 17st and just wondering how do I know if the fit is correct.would be grateful for all advice

What brand is it? There should have been a size chart which you would check yourself against when ordering. One of the perils of buying wetsuits online is each suit fits differently, you cannot beat buying/trying in a shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭tritriagain

I have ordered the right size according to the chart but what im looking for is some insight on the feel of the suit ehen its on, like should I have good dhoulder movement when the suit is dry etc.. I ordered online as the shops all had dearer suits and I dont know if I am going to do more than 1 tri. I have. Bought all my other gear in local shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

It should be difficult to get on, before I lost a few kilos I had to get the wife to zip it up at the back, with reasonable movement around the arms when you do get it on. It will expand a little in the water

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Decos

I ordered an entry level Orca suit online recently, i used the size chart to pick the right size for me (7). It arrived yesterday and its too small for me. Chest very tight and legs too short. Ill have to send it back but not sure whether to go for the next size up (8) or the size above that.

the joys of ordering online:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

The size charts should be accurate enough.

The problem is newbies don't have any experience of actually fitting a triathlon wetsuit and this is where it can all go pearshaped.

A tri wetsuit should be skin tight. Fitting it is a bit of an art and its not something I'll even try to explain on a forum. You will need suit lube to help you get it on as the neoprene doen't release / relax properly when it is dry.

Going up sizes will be counter productive as your suit will gape and fill with water, causing you to cool down and also cause drag in the water.

The whole online pricing thing is a completely different discussion.

@tritriagain - what suits did you get and what size did you order it?
    @decos - what are your dimensions and which suit is it you ordered? S3/4 or Equip?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

catweazle wrote: »
    It should be difficult to get on, before I lost a few kilos I had to get the wife to zip it up at the back, with reasonable movement around the arms when you do get it on. It will expand a little in the water

Ya its great asking the wife to zip me up instead of the other way round:p

That site just melted my computer!!

Fit should be tight. Bring the suit as far up the legs as you can, almost wedgie high before you put your arms in. The suit will stretch really well but don't force it, move the suit up your arms so you have no pull at the shoulder.

The last Orca TRN suit was a training suit, I haven't seen this one as its an online exclusive. Good value, wear it well!

Thanks for help. If I get into this tri lark ill give u a shout when buying nect suit as you seem to great reports all over boards

The size charts should be accurate enough.

The problem is newbies don't have any experience of actually fitting a triathlon wetsuit and this is where it can all go pearshaped.

A tri wetsuit should be skin tight. Fitting it is a bit of an art and its not something I'll even try to explain on a forum. You will need suit lube to help you get it on as the neoprene doen't release / relax properly when it is dry.

Going up sizes will be counter productive as your suit will gape and fill with water, causing you to cool down and also cause drag in the water.

The whole online pricing thing is a completely different discussion.

@tritriagain - what suits did you get and what size did you order it?
    @decos - what are your dimensions and which suit is it you ordered? S3/4 or Equip?

Hey amphkingwest,
    My dimensions are height 181cm, chest 40.5cm, weight ~ 12 stone.
    I ordered a size 7 in the Orca TRN Thermo full sleeve suit http://www.wiggle.co.uk/orca-trn-thermo-full-sleeve-wetsuit/

I surf so i would be used to surfing wetsuits. I know tri wetsuits are dfferent but i still reckon it was a bad fit for me. It was very constrictive on the chest especially and didnt seem to have enough length in the legs. From looking at my dimensions and the Orca size chart on that page, do you think i should go with a size 8 or 9?

• Advertisement

Decos wrote: »
    Hey amphkingwest,
    My dimensions are height 181cm, chest 40.5cm, weight ~ 12 stone.
    I ordered a size 7 in the Orca TRN Thermo full sleeve suit http://www.wiggle.co.uk/orca-trn-thermo-full-sleeve-wetsuit/

I surf so i would be used to surfing wetsuits. I know tri wetsuits are dfferent but i still reckon it was a bad fit for me. It was very constrictive on the chest especially and didnt seem to have enough length in the legs. From looking at my dimensions and the Orca size chart on that page, do you think i should go with a size 8 or 9?

Not sure of the flexibility of the material in the TRN but I would expect you will be an 8. A 9 will be swimming on you and no use.

Ok cheers man, I'd say ill go for the 8. Thanks for the help

Advertisement