Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suspension experience & pics (Not for the squeamish!)

Options
  • 25-04-2013 2:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭

Something I've wanted to do for years is a suspension. Took my first baby steps earlier. Now it's not a full suspension with the rig and everything yet, this was just a practise of sorts to see how I coped
    IMG-20130424-WA0000_zpsbe8f2b22.jpg
    20130424_161017_zpse87169d0.jpg
    IMG-20130424-WA0002_zps2a807132.jpg

Almost forgot to say, thanx to Patric in Iconic Arts for doing this. Definitely having someone like him do it makes it so much easier

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭RhoDoDenDron

That's sweet, and I see you're in capable hands there too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭paul_booth_fan

That's sweet, and I see you're in capable hands there too ;)

Thanx Rho. It wasn't as bad as I expected to be honest and it got easier the more tension I put against the ropes. Definitely doesn't feel like getting tattooed

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Split this out into it's own thread to protect those that don't like this kind of thing, and so that you guys can engage in as much chat about it as you want instead of it being confined to the "Show you mine" thread!

Looks great! It's not something I would ever do, but I still find it fascinating! :D

Split this out into it's own thread to protect those that don't like this kind of thing, and so that you guys can engage in as much chat about it as you want instead of it being confined to the "Show you mine" thread!

Looks great! It's not something I would ever do, but I still find it fascinating! :D
    Unfortunately there's not a lot of people searching for suspensions on boards, so there won't be much chat in this thread anyway. That's why I put it in the show you mine section, to generate conversation. Surely in a section with piercings in title people should exist to see some piercings??

Piercings are not really like suspensions though, the needles used for piercings pale in comparison to the suspension hooks, and even people that love piercings can feel a bit uneasy about the suspension hooks/process!

Having it out in it's own thread can help draw the attention of others that are interested in suspensions or fascinated with them!

• Advertisement

Plus, you'll find that even in this section of boards people lean towards tattoos, not piercings. It's rare enough that I need people in this country with the emphasis on piercings.

Are you going to be fully suspended any time soon? Because I may well see you there. Got a bit of "insider knowledge" on why there hasn't been a proper suspension gig in Ireland since Christmas, but I'm due to get hung myself at the next one, in a month or two. :D

Piercings are not really like suspensions though, the needles used for piercings pale in comparison to the suspension hooks, and even people that love piercings can feel a bit uneasy about the suspension hooks/process!

Having it out in it's own thread can help draw the attention of others that are interested in suspensions or fascinated with them!

Isn't a needle still a needle at the end of the day? The needles are the same ones used to stretch a piercing up. I just assumed that in a thread dedicated to tattoos&piercings we were all consenting adults. If someone is uneasy about it or doesn't like to look at it then they simply scroll down a few inches. I personally find it difficult to look at a small tattoo that is only 6 hours old but clearly has large voids of ink. The problem I found was the distinct lack of threads relating to suspensions. You said yourself that it's still fascinating. How many other people that regularly view the 'show you mine' would also be fascinated? I'd agree that if there were huge amounts of comments specifically aimed at my pictures then it should be moved, but to remove it after less than 6 hours and 3 likes is simply going to kill the thread

They are fundamentally the same thing, but people draw funny lines. Welcome to Ireland, where even in a tattoos and piercings forum you'll get people who just don't want to see things like this. Suspension's got a relatively tiny following anyway, in the larger run of things. Ain't nobody got time fo dat..

edit: suspension video performed by an Irish team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

As stated, very interesting. Didn't know this kinda thing is any way popular. Looks painful, though you probably build up a tolerance over time? Do you have to "condition" the skin and muscle so that it doesn't tear when the full suspension is done? More info please.

And in defense of Damo's decision, I think this is interesting enough to warrant it's own thread.

Plus, you'll find that even in this section of boards people lean towards tattoos, not piercings. It's rare enough that I need people in this country with the emphasis on piercings.

Are you going to be fully suspended any time soon? Because I may well see you there. Got a bit of "insider knowledge" on why there hasn't been a proper suspension gig in Ireland since Christmas, but I'm due to get hung myself at the next one, in a month or two. :D

Well then they should change the thread to 'Show you my tattoo' There simply isn't enough interest in suspension to sustain is own thread. I couldn't find any info on here a few months ago, I had to start my own thread to simply get people to talk and even then I think there was only 2 posters than contributed. Surprisingly, the only piercing I actually have is my septum, tattoos are my main interest
    Still taking my baby steps for the time being but eventually I would like to do a full suspension. I've got such little experience with piercings that I wanted to test myself yesterday before committing to it.
    Yeah I hope to go along to the next show get a better sense of everything involved

• Advertisement

Suspension isn't a tattoo or piercing though, it's not a general body mod forum by name (although maybe it should be). As regards the thread location, I'm not going to say much more, just that this is Ireland. You can pretty much expect anything heavier to be met with reluctance and occasionally disgust by most people.

Good luck going further with it though! How'd you find the pain of the hooks?

You were looking to raise discussion on the subject, the "Show you mine" thread isn't for prolonged discussions!
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77103213&postcount=1

Suspension isn't a tattoo or piercing though, it's not a general body mod forum by name (although maybe it should be). As regards the thread location, I'm not going to say much more, just that this is Ireland. You can pretty much expect anything heavier to be met with reluctance and occasionally disgust by most people.

Good luck going further with it though! How'd you find the pain of the hooks?
    It's definitely a niche audience anyway. Hopefully this thread continues a while. I'd like to talk to some other people about their experiences etc.

I honestly didn't find the piercing itself too bad, I expected worse. A lot easier than 3 hours of tattoos on the ribs at least. The basic shape of the hook obviously means the piercing takes a litte longer, but it was all through within one long exhale. Delighted with how quickly it went.

The full suspension will involve 4 hooks though! More initial pain but it should spread the force of the actually pulling even better

You were looking to raise discussion on the subject, the "Show you mine" thread isn't for prolonged discussions!
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77103213&postcount=1
    I was simply looking to raise interest. I did say that if there were a lot of comments at my post then I would fully agree to it being moved

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

They are fundamentally the same thing, but people draw funny lines. Welcome to Ireland, where even in a tattoos and piercings forum you'll get people who just don't want to see things like this.

There may be a bit more to it than that. Tattoos and most piercings are, by their very nature, more decorative than functional. Whatever about the hooking (do you have to remove and re-apply every session or are they permanent?) the ropes bring more of an S&M feel to it and in that respect I could understand some recoil from some folk.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticising you or PBF or what you do. I have more than enough peccadillos of my own to keep any shrink employed for a while. Once everything is consensual between adults, knock yourself out.

Oh I know that piercing and suspension are done with different goals in mind, but the physical act of performing them - actual piercing part - is the exact same, regardless of size/shape of hooks.

Out of curiosity, how much/little do people actually know about body suspension? It's not what a lot of people think it is, I suspect. It's a spiritual experience usually, not something that people do for the pain. People do it for different reasons though, same as tattoos or piercings. Once the hooks are in, crazy endorphins take over. I felt a small portion of those endorphins when I got my cheeks pierced, as certain smaller piercings will also release those kinds of endorphins.

As stated, very interesting. Didn't know this kinda thing is any way popular. Looks painful, though you probably build up a tolerance over time? Do you have to "condition" the skin and muscle so that it doesn't tear when the full suspension is done? More info please.

And in defense of Damo's decision, I think this is interesting enough to warrant it's own thread.
    Apparently it's gaining popularity as more and more people are exposed to it. I'm not really into piercings so I was very nervous about the pain involved. I can deal with tattoos alright but I have next to no experience with piercings.......seeing the hooks does NOT help with those concerns either, ha. I was told that the massage to loosen the skin would be the worst part and I just laughed it off. He wasn't lying, the massage was really irritating. Not so much painful as very very irritating and uncomfortable. The hook went in a lot easier than I thought it would, one big exhale and it was finished. Hurt like a bitch but nothing crazy, very manageable.
    Not a lot of conditioning is needed, the skins' own elastiscity provides all the structural strength as long as your not stupid. Careful placement and a good understanding of the stress involved make it relatively safe. I didn't do a full suspension where my feet left the ground so I couldn't comment on that, but for what I did I found it surprisingly easy to pull against the ropes. It got easier the more often I pulled against them and I was able to resist for longer. It almost felt like I could feel the skin slowly lifting from the muscle layer, but in a good way:P After 10 minutes or so I couldn't feel the hooks at all, just a small amount of tightening above the piercing site. I was able to lean forward to the point where only my toes were touching the floor, which might not sound like a lot but I was damn well proud of that.
    My objection with the thread being moved was that with this being such niche subject, I felt it should have been allowed time to generate interest. I completely agree that if it seemed to hijack the show you mine thread then it should have been moved. I know from experience how little info is on boards about this stuff and my concern was the new thread would die off before enough people accidentally come across it

legspin wrote: »
    There may be a bit more to it than that. Tattoos and most piercings are, by their very nature, more decorative than functional. Whatever about the hooking (do you have to remove and re-apply every session or are they permanent?) the ropes bring more of an S&M feel to it and in that respect I could understand some recoil from some folk.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticising you or PBF or what you do. I have more than enough peccadillos of my own to keep any shrink employed for a while. Once everything is consensual between adults, knock yourself out.
    Yes you have to remove them every time. Did you see the size of those damn things?? The ropes are simply used to pull against the hooks. Normally you're attached to a rig via the ropes and a series of pullies to lessen the load required to lift a human body into the air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Apparently it's gaining popularity as more and more people are exposed to it. I'm not really into piercings so I was very nervous about the pain involved. I can deal with tattoos alright but I have next to no experience with piercings.......seeing the hooks does NOT help with those concerns either, ha. I was told that the massage to loosen the skin would be the worst part and I just laughed it off. He wasn't lying, the massage was really irritating. Not so much painful as very very irritating and uncomfortable. The hook went in a lot easier than I thought it would, one big exhale and it was finished. Hurt like a bitch but nothing crazy, very manageable.
    Not a lot of conditioning is needed, the skins' own elastiscity provides all the structural strength as long as your not stupid. Careful placement and a good understanding of the stress involved make it relatively safe. I didn't do a full suspension where my feet left the ground so I couldn't comment on that, but for what I did I found it surprisingly easy to pull against the ropes. It got easier the more often I pulled against them and I was able to resist for longer. It almost felt like I could feel the skin slowly lifting from the muscle layer, but in a good way:P After 10 minutes or so I couldn't feel the hooks at all, just a small amount of tightening above the piercing site. I was able to lean forward to the point where only my toes were touching the floor, which might not sound like a lot but I was damn well proud of that.
    My objection with the thread being moved was that with this being such niche subject, I felt it should have been allowed time to generate interest. I completely agree that if it seemed to hijack the show you mine thread then it should have been moved. I know from experience how little info is on boards about this stuff and my concern was the new thread would die off before enough people accidentally come across it

Hats off to ya bud! It sounds....cool in a way. On one hand, I'm like EWW! On the other, I'd almost give it a go. Stupid question, but with doing this a lot, would it stretch the skin to it's "elastic limit" whereby it won't go back to it's original position or cause sagging?

Hats off to ya bud! It sounds....cool in a way. On one hand, I'm like EWW! On the other, I'd almost give it a go. Stupid question, but with doing this a lot, would it stretch the skin to it's "elastic limit" whereby it won't go back to it's original position or cause sagging?
    Even I was looking in the mirror thinking 'what the hell am i doing?' :D No, the skin will always return back to normal. Even a big guy suspending his whole body weight will only stretch the skin by a few inches. It returns back to normal basically as soon as the tension is released.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭tread_softly

I've talked to Kay about suspending a few times, listening to her you just want to jump in and do it!

I've heard from a few people that it's all about this kind of "zen" moment you get while being hung.

I can kind of understand that, if like you say the feeling of the hooks dissipate after a while, it must just feel like you're floating.

Personally, I don't think I could do it. I have a decent coverage of tattoos but only a small amount of piercings, the conch being my most exciting one!
    It's just I have a mild phobia of blood, I think if I saw those hooks through my skin with blood trails snaking down I'd KO.

What does it feel like after the hooks are removed? Do the holes take long to heal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

It sounds very cool, best of luck with it PBF. It's never something i'd do myself, but find the process, and the reasoning behind it really fascinating. Be sure to let us know how you're getting on.

I remember i was watching something about suspension a while back, looked over at my mam to see her reaction, and nearly fell off the chair laughing. Poor woman was sick to her stomach. In the end she just said 'You people are weird' and went for a lie down :D:D

I've talked to Kay about suspending a few times, listening to her you just want to jump in and do it!

I've heard from a few people that it's all about this kind of "zen" moment you get while being hung.

I can kind of understand that, if like you say the feeling of the hooks dissipate after a while, it must just feel like you're floating.

Personally, I don't think I could do it. I have a decent coverage of tattoos but only a small amount of piercings, the conch being my most exciting one!
    It's just I have a mild phobia of blood, I think if I saw those hooks through my skin with blood trails snaking down I'd KO.

What does it feel like after the hooks are removed? Do the holes take long to heal?
    I was the same talking to Patric. He seemed really enthusiatic about setting me up. almost giddy about it.That helped me calm myself as well. Definitely got easier the longer I moved with the hooks and pulled on them. Can't explain it really but it was like my body was giving me more room to play or something. I know that's not very descriptive or anything, but it seemed as if it was taking more tension for a longer period of time before the pain would kick in. Nothing too bad, but enough to be a little reminder.

I've only got a septum piercing and I can honestly say that I was more concerned about the piercing than the pulling part of it. I built it up in my head to be agonizing but I was so much easier than I expected. Wouldn't call it pleasant by any stretch of the imagination but I've no concerns over doing it again now

I did not see a single drop of blood during the whole thing. There was none from the piercing nor from pulling on them. Maybe when they were removed but remember, It's on you back, you won't even see it. Clean up was easy and quick.
    Feels odd taking them out actually, I could feel it sliding back out but not the pain of it completely. It was muted or something, possibly from the adrenaline.

Only had it done yesterday but they seem fine. Keep the little bandage on overnight and gently washed this morning. Unless i bump it there's pain, just a slight discomfort. Exactly like a tattoo actually

Patric is great like that, that's why I go to him for any fun projects I need doing. He's done my cheeks, philtrum and triple-nape piercing, plus he'll be performing my scarification in a few weeks. He's great at making people feel good about the procedure and talks your through the act of piercing well.

It sounds very cool, best of luck with it PBF. It's never something i'd do myself, but find the process, and the reasoning behind it really fascinating. Be sure to let us know how you're getting on.

I remember i was watching something about suspension a while back, looked over at my mam to see her reaction, and nearly fell off the chair laughing. Poor woman was sick to her stomach. In the end she just said 'You people are weird' and went for a lie down :D:D
    I've no reasoning behind it except I wanted to see if I could do it.........maybe your mam is right:)

Patric is great like that, that's why I go to him for any fun projects I need doing. He's done my cheeks, philtrum and triple-nape piercing, plus he'll be performing my scarification in a few weeks. He's great at making people feel good about the procedure and talks your through the act of piercing well.
    He did mention something about a scarification coming up, maybe he was talking about you. That's something I couldn't do. They can look very good but the idea of being of being cut scares me:(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Have to say I would never do a suspension myself it's just not for me but I do find it fascinating and would be interested in seeing one being done live, but to say things like this is Ireland is a bit much like were really repressed about suspensions, Im sorry im fairly certain you go anywhere in the world there will be a lot of people weirded out by it regardless it's a niche market, and one that doesn't appeal to the masses.

No, Ireland is further behind the rest of the world in terms of this kind of thing. My friend who's a suspension artist says he gets barely any requests here. His crew went over to London recently and were completely booked out for two days, charging a lot more than they do here in Ireland. A lower percentage of people are interested in mods in general, and even less in the heavier aspects of the mod world like suspension.

I've not got anything against this country but I can call a spade a spade. Something we don't have, even in Dublin, is a lot of diversity.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

No, Ireland is further behind the rest of the world in terms of this kind of thing. My friend who's a suspension artist says he gets barely any requests here. His crew went over to London recently and were completely booked out for two days, charging a lot more than they do here in Ireland. A lower percentage of people are interested in mods in general, and even less in the heavier aspects of the mod world like suspension.

I've not got anything against this country but I can call a spade a spade. Something we don't have, even in Dublin, is a lot of diversity.

Well of coarse your going to get more demand in a place like London when you consider the population of London alone is nearly three times that of the whole of Ireland ;), simple really.

It doesn't mean its not a niche market in London and the majority wouldn't be weirded out by it.

• Advertisement

Let's take population size out of the equation and just talk about ratio :p

The UK has a more diverse population than Ireland, which leads to a more positive attitude towards body mods from "regular folk" due to higher exposure to them. Bit like how I get less stares in Dublin than in, say, Monaghan.

However, if you say that 5% of people in the UK are into suspension, we're looking at a lower percentage over here in Ireland. Quite simply, less of our population has been exposed to such things, so it would be a lot more shocking to a random person off the street.

It's not that it's not still niche, it's just that it's a more well-know niche in other countries. Ireland is very slow-moving in changing its stance on piercings in general, leaving suspension aside. :p

Advertisement