Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suspension experience & pics (Not for the squeamish!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Let's take population size out of the equation and just talk about ratio :p

The UK has a more diverse population than Ireland, which leads to a more positive attitude towards body mods from "regular folk" due to higher exposure to them. Bit like how I get less stares in Dublin than in, say, Monaghan.

However, if you say that 5% of people in the UK are into suspension, we're looking at a lower percentage over here in Ireland. Quite simply, less of our population has been exposed to such things, so it would be a lot more shocking to a random person off the street.

It's not that it's not still niche, it's just that it's a more well-know niche in other countries. Ireland is very slow-moving in changing its stance on piercings in general, leaving suspension aside. :p

But why does the UK have a more diversive population due to its size and population in the first place ;).

Im sure it be the same reactions to piercings to say from London to I don't know rural areas in England. I don't think Ireland is alone in this and to label this is Ireland syndrome is wrong. People the world over are accepting and judgmental of tattoo's piercings and body mod's regardless of were you go people will be people, If your in any way different form the crowd people will judge rightly or wrongly, and the more niche you go the more you offend some peoples sensibilities.

Anyway let keep it on topic before we drag this to far of coarse :o.

Keep us up to date paulboothfan :).

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I would say it'd be nowhere near 5% in the UK either to be perfectly honest, the ratio would possibly be a little higher than here, but not by much. As Marty said, if you have a bigger population pool to draw from, then you are more likely to have success when running more niche events than when you're trying to do something similar with a vastly lower population! The population of London alone is around 8.17 million people, vs the 1.27 million for Dublin.

I really do think that while there will be lulls in the conversation here, if you keep it updated, people will keep checking it and posting here.
    You said yourself that you were struggling to find other threads on the topic. That would continue to be the case unless this thread was created! :D

I know I'm interested in seeing more and hearing how you get on with it, though I'd also never go for it myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭RhoDoDenDron

I would say it'd be nowhere near 5% in the UK either to be perfectly honest, the ratio would possibly be a little higher than here, but not by much. As Marty said, if you have a bigger population pool to draw from, then you are more likely to have success when running more niche events than when you're trying to do something similar with a vastly lower population! The population of London alone is around 8.17 million people, vs the 1.27 million for Dublin.

No, I don't think it'd be 5% either, I just created that for argument's sake. Should've been clearer :p

I don't want to drag this off topic, but the UK is more tolerant of piercings. Even my friend who recently lived over in the UK for a few years, has nose, eyebrow and lip pierced, said she immediately noticed that she got a lot more stares and dirty looks once she came back to Ireland. You've only to watch tv and look at the likes of the US to see that over there body modification isn't an "alternative" sub-culture, it's just another large, recognised group of people. Yes, the higher population is what causes diversity, but that still means that Ireland is less accepting. Maybe there's exponential growth, but Ireland is still is the low end of the range.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Have to say that it looks fascinating what ye are doing, I'm not too sure if it'd be my cup of tea though.

Re tolerance of piercings in Ireland. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Ireland is a ludicrously conservative society. The majority will look at ye as if you have 2 heads if you do anything that is percieved as unusual tbh

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I don't want to drag this off topic, but the UK is more tolerant of piercings. .

Id have to say the opposite is true.
    My personal experience is that theres a "stuffy" attitude in a lot of English people that makes them less tolerant of body mods.

What Ive found here is that people are less likely to judge you on appearance and its like "water off a ducks back" to them.

Heavily modded people don't even get looked at twice over here.

In the UK and in NI you have cases of nightclubs / shops / gyms etc not letting heavily modified people in...how can that be more tolerant??

There was a post a while back about a club over here that was starting to go the same way and I think I pointed out in that thread that we should never let it happen here. If I was ever refused entry to a anywhere because I had tattoos or piercings Id sue the fook out of the place and bring it into the public spotlight.

If Im not mistaken I think Baz Black took a well know gym to court for not letting him become a member despite him being a qualified trainer??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Always found suspension interesting, in a gruesome kind of way. Similar to watching some of the Saw movies, horrified by everything that happened in it but just couldn't stop it playing because I had to see the next room.

Would I be right in saying that you'd have to be invited to a suspension event? I couldn't tell you where I heard that from but I think it was off some mod programme RTE half threw together? May be remembering incorrectly.

If that is true, why so?? I mean, it's not the kind of thing most people would like done, but as a species, humans are a fairly curious creature. I would love to go to an event whilst not partaking. Just to see it in the flesh for want of a better term. Kinda deflates the purpose of wanting it to be a more accepted practice in society when you need a special invite. A niche market indeed.

Would love to read more as you go through with this PBF. What's the next step? Do you try 4 hooks the next time, or just 2 hooks in the lower back on their own? How much preparation do you have to do before getting attached to the rig? Is the rig just a pulley and lever system? Do the piercings damage the tattoo on your back, would it need to be touched up?

In fairness that's partially due to privacy. It's an intimate, personal experience and some people like their privacy. Having said that, they occasionally do more public shows that involve suspension. I'll be hanging in the next session so I'll also keep people posted.

I had thought that alright, as it is quite a personal experience. But whatever documentary I seen, there was a bunch of people at it and there seemed a lot of secrecy about it. Though that could largely be down to how RTE or whoever filmed it wanted it to seem.

Was it the Grainne Seoige one? Kay and the PMP crew featured in that :P

Here's the documentary I was taking about - WARNING NSFW

See the two guys who suspend her? They're my regular piercers. Would trust 'em with anything.

• Advertisement

Grainne Seoige does ring a bell alright, that it may have been.

Like I said, memory is a bit foggy on it so I may have remembered details incorrectly. I do remember it being a sh!te depiction on body mods to a certain extent mind you :)

Edit, that's the one ;) Must remind myself on it.

Yes, they referred to Patric as a "tattoo artist" :p

That lady who got suspended has a gorgeous complexion!! My god, she's just porcelain!! Beautiful!!

Aye, there were several stupid things said in it too, and her presenting skills were biased. If you're going to investigate things like that, you have to be completely journalistic about it showing no emotion to the camera so the viewer can form their own opinions. Think she grimaced her way through the whole thing which irritated me. Not huge fan of hers anywho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭paul_booth_fan

FoxyVixen wrote: »
    Would I be right in saying that you'd have to be invited to a suspension event?

Would love to read more as you go through with this PBF. What's the next step? Do you try 4 hooks the next time, or just 2 hooks in the lower back on their own? How much preparation do you have to do before getting attached to the rig? Is the rig just a pulley and lever system? Do the piercings damage the tattoo on your back, would it need to be touched up?
    Yes and no. A lot of people will have their first suspension behind closed doors so to speak. Mine will be private as well. I'm going to be nervous enough as it is without strangers gathering around to look at the freak:D Maybe 1 or 2 friends(my dad has shown a morbid curiosity as well) will come in. From what I've read your emotions can be all over the place, I read about a giant of a man breaking down in tears of euphoria simply because of what he achieved. So the first one will be personal.
    However, I know that the Twisted Pepper bar on Abbey Street do suspension nights every few months where anyone can watch. I definitely want to attend one as well just to get a better sense of the occasion and theater they create. Your best bet is to look for "pmpsuspension" on Facebook. They'll advertise it all there and they have some great photos etc
    I'm still not sure about the next step. I might get 2 in the same place again but try push myself further or I might get all 4 across the shoulder blades to see how different that feels.
    Yeah the rig is basically just a pulley system. Pulleys help lessen the effort needed to lift you and provide a great deal of control in raising the weight smoothly. There's a lot of preperation involved with the rig. They guys need to check all the attachment points, all the ropes, all the carabiners etc. They need to get your hook location sorted to minimise stress. They really have to do an amazing amount of work. I simply turn up in good health and that's it.
    The marks left behind from the hooks are tiny dots, I'll try get a pic while they're still fresh to show ya. Unless you look for them, you wouldn't even notice so a touch up(keep those thoughts clean) is a personal choice.

20130426_104633_zpsd909a7d8.jpg
    20130426_104625-1_zpsbaec12df.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

this thread raises a million question for me! It shocks and astounds and fascinates me (albeit in a strange way) :eek:

Can I ask you what the motivation is for doing it? Is it just because? Or is there some other reason?

Also how deep are the hooks going? They dont look to be too deep....is there any danger that the skin wouldnt hold the weight put on it by them (and rip/break?)

But mainly...how did somebody figure out to do this? Did they wake up one morning and go.."I know what I'll do today, I'll put hooks in my back and suspend myself from them"

Fair enough people since have seen/heard about it and have reasons for doing it!

-Just to be clear...I dont want anybody to think the above is in anyway judgemental...I'm just genuinely curious about why people would do it and what the history is behind it (as its not something I would think most people would even dream about doing!)

There are many different reasons to do it. Have you heard of a film A Man Called Horse? It's one of the most well-know suspensions. It was used as a Native-American initial ritual. Once the hooks go in and you're up off the ground, your body releases crazy endorphins, and that's basically why people do it. These endorphins can have any numbers of effect, they can cause you to laugh or cry with elation.

The hooks go different depths depending on where on the body, but I couldn't tell you exactly where. Depending on the type of suspension and the weight of the person, different amounts of hooks and different thicknesses will be used. There's a chance they can rip, but this only happens when the suspension practitioner doesn't know what they're doing. As PBF has said ,the rig is quite complex and every part is double-checked and completely sterile.

As for how people figured it out? Well, I don't think anyone alive can answer that with anything other than speculation :p

daheff wrote: »
    this thread raises a million question for me! It shocks and astounds and fascinates me (albeit in a strange way) :eek:

Personally, I just wanted to see if I could do it. For your other questions, check everything Rho said. Couldn't have said it any better or more informatively

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Personally, I just wanted to see if I could do it. For your other questions, check everything Rho said. Couldn't have said it any better or more informatively

Thanks guys.

Good luck with the full rig. Maybe you would post more if/when you do it to let us (well me anyways) know how it went ?

daheff wrote: »
    Thanks guys.

Good luck with the full rig. Maybe you would post more if/when you do it to let us (well me anyways) know how it went ?

Yeah I'll definitely keep the thread updated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Here's a short video Kay posted of her suspension from the recent London get together

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cxzwod89fxwoseu/MVI_0691.mov

• Advertisement

Split this out into it's own thread to protect those that don't like this kind of thing, and so that you guys can engage in as much chat about it as you want instead of it being confined to the "Show you mine" thread!

Looks great! It's not something I would ever do, but I still find it fascinating! :D
    Just want to offer an apology for my initial hostility at moving this thread. With almost 900 views as of this post, my fears the thread wouldn't get noticed were premature.
    Hopefully the thread can kick on and thrive. With a show hopefully coming up soon and my own progression towards a full suspension, I hope we can keep the thread updated. I would also like to encourage anyone else with photos or stories to contribute and keep this going

Hopefully the thread can kick on and thrive. With a show hopefully coming up soon and my own progression towards a full suspension, I hope we can keep the thread updated. I would also like to encourage anyone else with photos or stories to contribute and keep this going

I'll pop up my own pictures, etc. as well, as I'll hopefully be suspending in the next PMP session.

I'll pop up my own pictures, etc. as well, as I'll hopefully be suspending in the next PMP session.

As soon as you know yourself, can you post the date for the show? I can't be the only person without Facebook so it would be greatly appreciated. I'd love to go along and check it out as well

I will of course pop it up here as soon as I know anything! And if anyone is interesting in suspending, PM me and I can put you in touch with the right people :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

The first time I had ever heard of people doing this for fun was in a studio in Germany. Their website is in German (if you're using google chrome it'll translate it for you) but there's some pretty amazing pictures of suspension (and other piercings) there. http://www.morbus-gravis.de/ They said it's really popular, they have a waiting list!

The first time I had ever heard of people doing this for fun was in a studio in Germany. Their website is in German (if you're using google chrome it'll translate it for you) but there's some pretty amazing pictures of suspension (and other piercings) there. http://www.morbus-gravis.de/ They said it's really popular, they have a waiting list!
    Thanx for the link. Damn those pictures are somewhat inspiring. Already getting tempted into trying to push myself with the 2 hooks:P. I imagine a waiting list is fairly common. There's a lot to organise with the shows and rigs etc so they probably have to wait to get sufficient numbers together to make it worthwhile. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I genuinely don't know, just assuming. Really nice pics, thank you again

Update time! I bumped into Séan today (PMP) and was chatting about suspension a bit. A few people I know have enquired about weight limits, and he says there really are none. He's seen 20st (280lb/127kg) guys go up on one hook, so it's really a matter of how they're placed, etc. He says if someone is really heavy then they can just use more hooks and distribute the weight.

Second thing we were chatting about it price. Now, he's been chatting to me since January pretty much about trying to lower prices for suspensions. The more people they can do in one session, the cheaper it'll be. For really private sessions you're looking at 250, but the next session will most likely to between 150 and 200, although if he can get a lot it may be cheaper. He was initially looking to do them even cheaper but that hasn't worked out.

Now, he doesn't know the exact date yet but he's meeting people today about it and he says he'll drop me a message when he has anything solid. And of course, when I get info, I'll pass it on to you guys here! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Update time! I bumped into Séan today (PMP) and was chatting about suspension a bit. A few people I know have enquired about weight limits, and he says there really are none. He's seen 20lb guys go up on one hook, so it's really a matter of how they're placed, etc. He says if someone is really heavy then they can just use more hooks and distribute the weight.

I'm assuming that's supposed to be 200? :pac:

I'm halfway thinking about giving it a shot. Never really thought about it before but as a once off it could interesting.

Orim wrote: »
    I'm assuming that's supposed to be 200? :pac:

I'm halfway thinking about giving it a shot. Never really thought about it before but as a once off it could interesting.

Whoops, was supposed to be in stone! Around 280lb, as I've edited above to reflect :p

• Advertisement

Update time!
    Thanx for the update. The price is one of my queries as well. As much as I'd love to take part in a big show and get it cheaper, I'm not confident enough to say I'll definitely be able to go up. I'm going to try, don't get me wrong but it is a huge step up from anything I've ever done. For me personally, the added pressure of being in front of strangers is something I could do without. I'd hate to feel like I didn't contribute to the show
    Orim wrote: »
    Well hopefully you can make it to the next show. I'm really looking forward to it now, be nice to actually meet a few people in the same mindset. As great as it talking to guys that have done 25/30 suspensions, it'll be good to talk to some virgins so to speak. Not too many of my friends are looking into getting suspended so it'll be nice not having to censor my own conversion

My earlier reply double posted and when I deleted one the other disappeared as well so we'll try again

Advertisement