Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chael Sonnen Vs Jon Jones

• 25-04-2013 8:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭

So obviously we all want Chael to win but will he?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 368 ✭✭Morph the Cat

Probably not, but I'm rooting for him. It would be amazing if he actually won a title.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭canonball5

I have a feeling that this might be a lot closer than people think. Chael is cutting from around 230lbs. If he gets Jonny boy down I don't see him getting back up. I would worry about those long legs from the bottom and Chael getting caught in a triangle though.

The whole card is amazing, I can't wait for it, especially with the new earlier start time on ESPN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

I'm a big Chael fan but I have trouble seeing this going much differently than Silva-Sonnen 2. Really looking forward to...

Davis/Magalhaes - Vinny by sub off his back please

McMann/Gaff - I don't approve of the UFC bringing in undersized women like Sheila Gaff and Rosi Sexton in a rather transparent effort to give Sara McMann and Alexis Davis easy paths to a title shot, but if any natural flyweights can bring wars to the bantamweight division, it's Gaff and Sexton

Khabilov/Medeiros - more suplexes please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I can't see Chael knocking Jones out. And I can't see him taking him down and grinding out a win. Although Chael has excellent wrestling, so does Jones. And Jones has the best takedown defense in the UFC.

Vitor Belfort was close to subbing Jones, and that was probably the most vunerable we've seen Jones. I think everyone thought he was gonna tap.
    Sonnen probably reckons that's his best chance......to get it to the ground and go for the sub. But Jones didn't tap to Belfort, and he later said that he'd never tap. So Chael would have to snap a limb, or put him to sleep, which is easier said than done.

Of course there's a chance that Chael catches him flush and KO's him, but its unlikely. Lets be honest, there's probably nobody in the UFC at the minute that could beat Jones on the feet (except maybe Silva). He's just to unorthodox. His style is a nightmare for opponents to figure out a way through. He'll kick you from the opposite side of the cage, or elbow you from impossible distances and angles. Nobody has figured Jones out yet.

I do think that he's beatable though, with the right opponent and the right gameplan. He's a big strong guy with a big frame, and these skinny little chicken legs supporting that. I think someone needs to chop the tree down at its base.
    Tear him to pieces with vicious leg kicks while avoiding his orangutan arms swinging razor sharp elbows at your face. I think speed and patience could be the key to it. If you can work on those legs, Jose Aldo style, until he can barely stand then it opens him up and he becomes very beatable.

The only problem is, can Chael do that?
    I'm not so sure. I hope he can, and ill be cheering him on but if I'm honest I can only see this fight going one way.
    Jones win by tko in rd 2 or 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

New Jersey judges are disgraceful. I think a Leonard Garcia victory is on the cards. Excellent main card. Can't wait for Bisping and Belcher

• Advertisement

Xlami wrote: »
    Can't wait for Bisping and Belcher

Yeah that should be a good one. I'm a big fan of Belcher and I'd love him to beat Bisping, ideally by ko, but I can't see it happening. I can see it being a Bisping decision win.
    Ill hold out a bit of hope for a Belcher ko, but its unlikely. Anyone know what price that's at by the way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Locomotion

El Guapo! wrote: »
    Yeah that should be a good one. I'm a big fan of Belcher and I'd love him to beat Bisping, ideally by ko, but I can't see it happening. I can see it being a Bisping decision win.
    Ill hold out a bit of hope for a Belcher ko, but its unlikely. Anyone know what price that's at by the way?

Belcher KO is +330.
    Bisping wins by decision is +142

Not much value in either bet if ya ask me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Plastikman_eire

I love to see ANYONE smash Jones. Sonnen is not the man to get it done though.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Jizzear

What will be really interesting is whether jones throws kicks or not! hes mad for using front kicks etc to establish his freaky range but will he want to risk getting taken down? Jones isnt usually the type to put on a gsp type jab clinic etc so would be interesting what happens if he doesnt! cant imagine him throwing much of his spinning **** either because once again greatly increases risk of takedown against someone who will be marching forward with the sole purpose of looking for one.

So ya im really interested in the fight to see if jones puts on a very unjones like standup performance plus really interested to see can chael take him down a couple of times or does jones ragdoll the feck outa him and use his sneaky trips ala maia to put him on his back and smash him into retirement!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

A man after my own heart. Was too lazy to type it but yeh exactly how I feel. It's 5-1 with Paddys and I'm on it already. Hopefully Ben Askren will be teaching them a bit of Octagon control at Roufussport. Think Belcher has really lacked that in other fights.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

I think the most Chael can hope for is to end Bones' 100% take down defence record, and even that seems like a long shot.

Pity in a way, I mean where does Chael go after this?

RainMaker wrote: »
    Pity in a way, I mean where does Chael go after this?

Knowing him?........He'll go to heavyweight to defend his belt.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Knowing him?........He'll go to heavyweight to defend his belt.

Sure he only rented the belt out to Cain. Once he has the LHW, and MW belt he'll probably want it back though.

All seriousness, I think I'll wet my pants a little in excitement if Sonnen wins this. The man is a true legend.

Chael P. Sonnen for El Presidento!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Just imagine Sonnen if he won, the post fight interview will be legendary and every apperance for months after would be too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

d5f79583f559302ee6f2071b722f1745.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Jones to pummel Sonnen into submission in the 2nd round.

Although having seen Sonnen tell Matt Serra that story about promising his father on his death bed he'd one day be Works Champion, I wouldn't mind if he pulled it off. That alongside the fact that Sonnen is ridiculously entertaining and came across so well on TUF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Not writing Sonnen off entirely because last time he was so written off was Silva I and we know what happened in that fight.

I think Belcher is going to win and KO wouldn't surprise as Bisping's chin is kind of suspect.

The card is a serious card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

I'd love to see Chael win I doubt it will happen did Jones ever end up on his back yet in the UFC? be interesting to see how he handles chael on top of him probably a triangle :D

Belcher one my favourites the fight with him and Sexyama at UFC 100 was a epic fight.Belcher got me as a life long fan after that.
    Belcher is lucky to be even fighting didn't he nearly lose his eye in training or something.

Looks like a great card in for a treat.

Very little hype around Chael this time maybe he'll pull it off he deserves to have the title, I remember him doing a interview with him saying all I want is the UFC title for just one night.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Locomotion wrote: »
    So obviously we all want Chael to win but will he?

I get quite a strong sense of deja vu about this post, where is the quote originally from?

Edit: Ah found it, nice one Locomotion! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

dave1982 wrote: »
    did Jones ever end up on his back yet in the UFC?

He pulled guard against Evans 10 seconds before the end of the round. Doubt that really counts.

Sonnen is possibly the best wrestler to date that he will face. Matyushenko and Bader couldn't launch much of an offense and Evans only attempted one takedown IIRC. None of them have the same in-your-face style as Sonnen, so it will be interesting to see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Although Chael has excellent wrestling, so does Jones. And Jones has the best takedown defense in the UFC.
    That is technically true. Jones has 100% TD defense. But he also doesn't appear top of the record for that stat as so few TDs have been attempted. Chael can probably out wrestle Jones in a grappling match, but including Jones' strikes changes the game.
    Vitor Belfort was close to subbing Jones, and that was probably the most vunerable we've seen Jones. I think everyone thought he was gonna tap.
    Sonnen probably reckons that's his best chance......to get it to the ground and go for the sub. But Jones didn't tap to Belfort, and he later said that he'd never tap. So Chael would have to snap a limb, or put him to sleep, which is easier said than done.

That bits BS tbh.
    Firstly I don't believe he'd flat out refuse to tap. If a sub is locked in I reckon he taps. He didn't tap to Belfort as he felt he could get out. Simply as that. Besides, a stubborn refusal to tapping doesn't make him any harder to sub. If a joint lock or choke is on properly, the fights over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

unknown13 wrote: »

I think Belcher is going to win and KO wouldn't surprise as Bisping's chin is kind of suspect.

I disagree with this. Bisping got TKO'd/KO'd only twice in nearly 30 fights and people start saying he has a weak chin. I dont think thats really a fair analysis.

He was only knocked out by Dan Henderson, easily one of the hardest hitters in the UFC and by Belfort, who himself is well able to knock guys out. Bisping has been in the octagon with plenty other decent strikers like Wanderlei and Brian Stann and done just fine.

Belcher has a decent enough stand up game and he does have power but I cant see Bisping being KO'd in this one. Bisping to win it before the end of the second. TKO.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Gilbert Grape

John_D80 wrote: »
    I disagree with this. Bisping got TKO'd/KO'd only twice in nearly 30 fights and people start saying he has a weak chin. I dont think thats really a fair analysis.

He was only knocked out by Dan Henderson, easily one of the hardest hitters in the UFC and by Belfort, who himself is well able to knock guys out. Bisping has been in the octagon with plenty other decent strikers like Wanderlei and Brian Stann and done just fine.

Belcher has a decent enough stand up game and he does have power but I cant see Bisping being KO'd in this one. Bisping to win it before the end of the second. TKO.

Thinking that aswell,Bisping 3rd rd TKO,looking foward to the Kongo and Nelson fight someone's getting KO'ed in that fight.

Forgot Khabilov is fighting this weekend to,thats the fella that kept suplexing the boy he beat in his last Ufc fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

Conor gets a nice little piece in Dana's Vlog for UFC 159. He says definitely coming back to Ireland for what that's worth.

Serious card this week. The last 2 events have been great so lets hope the momentum keeps going.

I see Jones submitting Sonnen but like everyone, I'd love to see Sonnen pull of a miracle.
    I think Bisping will take a decision against Belcher. He'll get tagged a few times though.
    Big Country will KO Cheick.
    Miller and Healy could easily be fight of the night. I think it's too big a step up in competition for Healy so soon.
    Another womens fight. They've really performed in the UFC so far so I hope they can keep it going. This can go either way though, Gaff is always exciting but McCann might just hold onto her to slow it down and get a decision.

Shazbot wrote: »
    Conor gets a nice little piece in Dana's Vlog for UFC 159. He says definitely coming back to Ireland for what that's worth.

Not much to be honest. He's said "We'll definitely be back" numerous amounts of times.

However, I think with Connor, Norman Parke, potentially Pendred (If he beats Mills i'll eat my own hat if he doesn't get the call up) and The Hooligan in the mix for a spot on TUF, all of this alongside a really strong domestic scene as it is...... it's just a matter of time before they come back here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I don't think his chin is bad either but he has been rocked in most of those fights. Nearly everyone I can think of he's been wobbled. Kang, Wanderlei, Stann, Leben and I think even Akiyama had him in a bit of bother.

If you're primarily a striker in the middleweight division and don't finish fights, you're always running the risk of being hit hard during fights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Wanderlai knocked him down and so did Dennis Kang and Kang should have beat Bisping aswell after he did knock him down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Not much to be honest. He's said "We'll definitely be back" numerous amounts of times.

However, I think with Connor, Norman Parke, potentially Pendred (If he beats Mills i'll eat my own hat if he doesn't get the call up) and The Hooligan in the mix for a spot on TUF, all of this alongside a really strong domestic scene as it is...... it's just a matter of time before they come back here.

Yeah, I should have said, take it with a very large pinch of salt. As you say, with Conor, Norman signed up and Paddy and Cathal on the fringe, we could have something next year.

• Advertisement

I say we'll see a few Irish on the Boston card, I got the impression of Connor on the LLS that he will want his team mates on the card.Is Pendred under contract with cage warriors?

• Site Banned Posts: 45 Double decker

it amazes me how ufc fans in ireland don't understand that there is only one suitable venue in Ireland for the ufc - o2 point depot. and it's booked out months in advance and frequently around the typical ufc weekends. dana white wants to do a paddy's day weekend in ireland but can't get a venue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

it amazes me how ufc fans in ireland don't understand that there is only one suitable venue in Ireland for the ufc - o2 point depot. and it's booked out months in advance and frequently around the typical ufc weekends. dana white wants to do a paddy's day weekend in ireland but can't get a venue.

Er....... this is true of many of the places that UFC go to. Just because it's book months in advance, doesn't mean it can't be booked. They put on about 50 shows a year now, i'm pretty sure they know how to book a venue.

Also, just because Paddys Day would be ideal, doesn't mean it rules out every other time of year (UFC 93 was, after all, in January)

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pauldoo

Big ask for Sonnen here, but at least we will get someone who will most probably make jones move backwards and force the issue. All the opponents lately have just stood on the edge of jones reach and got picked apart

Great card, should be entertaining

Er....... this is true of many of the places that UFC go to. Just because it's book months in advance, doesn't mean it can't be booked. They put on about 50 shows a year now, i'm pretty sure they know how to book a venue.

Also, just because Paddys Day would be ideal, doesn't mean it rules out every other time of year (UFC 93 was, after all, in January)

... no it's not. the UK has at least 10 venues.

• Advertisement

... no it's not. the UK has at least 10 venues.

I said MANY, not EVERY.

I said MANY, not EVERY.

what other european destintation have the ufc routinely returned to. what are you talking about mrstuffin would you not just accept the obvious.

what other european destintation have the ufc routinely returned to. what are you talking about mrstuffin would you not just accept the obvious.

I never said every, I never said Europe, I never said routinely returning to.............

Did you even read my post? Or yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭RebelSoul

I'll try and get this thread back on topic.

I firmly believe Jones is going to smash Sonnen, inside 2 rounds. I don't think Chael has the skill set to beat Jones.
    I could be completely wrong though and would happily accept so just for the post fight interview alone :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭p to the e

Toughest pick of this card is definitely Bisping vs. Belcher. Both have a good all round skill set which has been tested in the past. People can easily forget Bisping's no slouch on the ground but I think Belcher may edge it especially after that fine grappling performance against Palhares. Both are accomplished strikers who aren't afraid to stand and trade. I think Belcher might be the more creative striker but it's difficult to know how that would help in this situation. Bisping showed excellent wrestling against Sonnen and Stann and Belcher lost out Okami in that regard so it may be an opportunity for Bisping to go against the norm and grind out a win.

In my opinion Phil Davis is way out of the league of Vinny Magalhães. Yes Vinny is a top level grappler but Davis is a world class wrestler and getting him down is not going to be easy and even when he gets there Vinny will have to contend with Davis constantly working inside that guard similar to the way Sonnen works inside the guard.

Similarly Jim Miller is way out of Pat Healy's league and this may just be the springboard he needs to get back into title contention.

If Sara McCann can use her formidable wrestling to control the first few minutes of the fight she should hold out to get a decision win. I can't see this being as exciting as the first two women's fights in the UFC but it should give us an insight into Sara McCann who no doubt will face off against Rousey in a title fight someday.

Gian Villante vs. Ovince St. Prince should be a decent scrap with both men looking to make their mark in the UFC.

Loser of Garcia vs. McKenzie will get walking papers and I can see it being Cody.

Nelson vs. Kongo has the potential to be disappointment of the night if Kongo refuses to use his striking for fear of it going the same way as the Mark Hunt fight. As I mentioned in the gambling thread this may let us see the rarely used yet highly polished grappling skills of Nelson. Or he could just punch his head clean off. Who knows?! Either way I see this being a Nelson win.

For the main event there's always the chance that Sonnen will use that constant pace and tireless work etiquette to grind out the champion and put him in a place he has never been before but Jones is an intelligent fighter with an intelligent Greg Jackson camp behind him. He is prepared for anything Sonnen will throw at him and will retaliate ten fold. Add to that Jones' fierce reach advantage, his match of wrestling skills and proven grappling credentials (Sonnen has been submitted a few times don't you know) and it doesn't look good for the contender.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 397 ✭✭welkin

Munster/Chael double on Boyle Sports!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I had Bisping down by Decision on my fantasy but after seeing the weigh in's i'm changin my mind.

He came in at 186, then the second they announce his weight he was drinking a big bottle of water, before the stare down. Seems he MAY have had a bad cut

Jones is looking in serious shape. Chael on the other handy looks a little flabby.

Still though, Chael FTW!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Jones is looking in serious shape. Chael on the other handy looks a little flabby.

Still though, Chael FTW!

i want him to win, i really do, even though i've got jones on fantasy i really hope Chael pulls it off. Sherdog would implode

Same, have Jones by TKO/KO in the 2nd.

My head would implode if he won!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

What the ****ing hell was Jones playing at throwing his shoes into the crowd at the weigh-ins?

Looking like a ****ing tool.

What the ****ing hell was Jones playing at throwing his shoes into the crowd at the weigh-ins?

Looking like a ****ing tool.

They were his new Nike signature shoes,just out the other day.https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=jon+jones+nike+shoes&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=2hd7UaygLqia1AWbk4GICA&ved=0CEYQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=709

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

scudzilla wrote: »
    I had Bisping down by Decision on my fantasy but after seeing the weigh in's i'm changin my mind.

He came in at 186, then the second they announce his weight he was drinking a big bottle of water, before the stare down. Seems he MAY have had a bad cut
    Drinking water as they get off the scales is completely standard. It doesn't mean a bad cut, it means he's thirsty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

I really want sonnen to win this. I build the interwebs for a living and if he wins i know there wont be any of the interwebs left on monday morning!!

Belcher Bisping will be FOTN

• Advertisement
Advertisement