Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chael Sonnen Vs Jon Jones

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Who the fück gave Belcher a round!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

29-28?

Who are these judges? If the person who gave Belcher a round here is the same guy who gave Vinny a round he seriously deserves to be black-listed!

Bisping was incredible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

Hon the Cecil!

I wonder if the judges are watching the same fights as us sometimes..

Everyone, get your fix of the internet cause in about 20 minutes it'll implode when Sonnen takes back his belt.

Sonnen4Lyf!!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Jizzear

MrStuffins wrote: »
    29-28?

Who are these judges? If the person who gave Belcher a round here is the same guy who gave Vinny a round he seriously deserves to be black-listed!

Bisping was incredible!

meh the first round was definately close id imagine strike stats were comparable and most significant strike was belchers when he seemed to rock him! I had it scored for bisping like but I dont know if its terrible to give it to belcher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

Wanting to see Sonnen win here makes me feel dirty!

I'm more excited than Silva II.

Chael to win in the 5th via Triangle ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Can't stand Jones, really REALLY want Chael to win

• Advertisement

Just for the record, this has to be one of the worst title fight match ups in history :pac:

Yeah but Sonnen can't help if the guy with the belt is so much below his standard unfortunately!

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭the incredible pudding

Stoppage was early but probably did him a favour. Seemed like they were in different weight classes such was his domination. I guess Cormier is the only hope!

Chael will just have to make do with being Undisputed MW Champ!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Well that was terrible...

JONES'S FOOT!!!!!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Ridiculous. Jones looked like he was 2 weight classes above Sonnen. Awful match-up.

Nasty break there for Jones.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

So dominant its not even funny,I can't see anyone coming close to Jones in this division.

*ouch me good foot

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭SRFC

He looks in serious pain :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Did Chael break Jones foot with his face?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Anderson Silva v Jon Jones?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Good point from Rogan. If Sonnen manages to make it out of round 1 he had a great chance to win the title tonight with Jones having such a bad foot injury.

Good point from Rogan. If Sonnen manages to make it out of round 1 he had a great chance to win the title tonight with Jones having such a bad foot injury.

True but justice is justice. Jones is the better fighter, having an injury like that be such a big factor wouldn't have been good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Tell you what, I was just telling my mate how much I don't like John Jones just as the fight was ending, then I saw his foot, obviously at the same time he saw it.

3 minutes later I'm saying, I like this guy again. I would have been out on the floor at that stage. I don't mind pain much really but I hate seeing it ... I'd be out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If he got to the end of the round, it could of easily been a doctor stoppage. I felt the stop was early but inevitable. In hindsight, It was hugely important.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Sonnen it's ok we all know you didn't really want that belt it was just a stepping stone to your Heavyweight title!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

I apologise in advance for this.

763357296.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Easy money :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 397 ✭✭welkin

Wonder can Paddy Power really afford all the free €40s they just handed out all over the British Isles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

That interview with Jones was the cringiest thing I've ever seen, Rogan should have just left him alone, he looked like he was about to pass out :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Just for the record, this has to be one of the worst title fight match ups in history :pac:

I think UFC 160 has that one!

Bigfoot Silva and Cain Valasquez....no interest in watching that bull****!

Dermighty wrote: »

Don't agree with this at all. Just cause he got destroyed the last time out doesn't mean he's as out matched as Chael was.

Silva put away Overeem... That's got to count for something in your books, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭paddythere

Dermighty wrote: »

Also gsp v dan hardy, that was ridiculous

• Advertisement

Tito Ortiz v Elvis Sinosic... imagine Sinosic being World Champ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Look at what half the internet has searched for this morning

251347.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

Sonnen had no chance which is what all the other LHW guys Jones has smashed up had. He's unbeatable.

And his pure power/strength is actually insane - he's waaaaaaaaaaay stronger than anyone in the history of LHW. He can just pick you up from any position and smash you round the cage any time he wants. You can't hit him you can't wrestle him you can't get out from under him and you can't avoid those murderous GBH elbows he throws from within guard or half guard you just can't - he uses his long arms to gain wrist or forearm control and then loads up flash elbows and you simply can't defend them. He's a man mincer (as opposed to a mincing man which is different)

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Gilbert Grape

Sonnen had no chance which is what all the other LHW guys Jones has smashed up had. He's unbeatable.

And his pure power/strength is actually insane - he's waaaaaaaaaaay stronger than anyone in the history of LHW. He can just pick you up from any position and smash you round the cage any time he wants. You can't hit him you can't wrestle him you can't get out from under him and you can't avoid those murderous GBH elbows he throws from within guard or half guard you just can't - he uses his long arms to gain wrist or forearm control and then loads up flash elbows and you simply can't defend them. He's a man mincer (as opposed to a mincing man which is different)

Everyone is beatable,but saying that he has looked unstoppable in his title fights.The only fighters that beat him i think are Gegard Mousasi and Anderson Silva,hope they make one of them fights.Another 20 seconds and that fight was over,Jones would'nt be be able to continue with that toe

According to Dana, Anderson Silva rang him after the fight last night and asked top fight Jon Jones after the Weidmann fight. Jones had also said before the fight that he's interested in Super Fights.

This one could happen!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Thought Jones' post-fight interview was perversely hilarious. He went from laughing about what he treated like a cool scar to being completely freaked out and in shock in a matter of seconds...and Joe just wouldn't leave him alone!

For me, that was his finest performance. Reason being that Chael got his gameplan so right, the only way he was beating him was to attack attack attack relentlessly,and he did so better than Lyoto did. In spite of this, Jones just adapted on the fly and dominated. He was out of his comfort zone, couldn't control the range and was on the back foot for most of the stand-up...and yet still managed to kick the ever-loving **** out of Chael. In an MMA world where people think Greg Jackson masterminds wins before the fight even starts, Jones won that fight (convincingly) on pure skill and instinct.

That said, if Chael had lasted a further 30 seconds, we'd have a new LHW Champion right now. Wonder if he'll make a thing of that now, if there are any further Sonnen fights to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭p to the e

I really don't squirm easy but that toe injury had my stomach in my mouth. Reminds me of the injury Anthony Perosh got a while back. I think the stoppage was early but with the time left in the round i think it would have ended the same way just later.

Belcher didn't seem to be his usual self in his fight. Bisping pushes an almighty pace but expected Belcher to engage more. The chants of "USA" were typically ignorant.

Cheick Kongo against Overeem next anyone? The tough call is who next for Nelson. Two options is the winner of Hunt vs. Dos Santos or Werdum vs. Big Nog but the problem is he was beaten badly against Dos Santos and Werdum.

Fantastic win by Pat Healy. That win throws him into the top 10 LW division.

Two technical decisions and two broken digits. Well I never.

I've flipped on this before, but at this point, I do think Jones is just too much for Silva but it is still a credible fight IF Silva can add a bit more power to his frame which I genuinely think he would need (not sure if it's practical at this point in his career though)
    Jones would be in a position to either choose to beat Silva viciously by taking him down (which he could so very easily IMO) and mashing up with those elbows which nobody can neutralize, bar a hail mary armbar which he ain't gona fall for again after Belforts attempt
    OR
    Jones could 'choose' to cement his greatness by making a definitive statement and standing with Silva toe to toe from the first bell and beating him at his own game which would be such an all-time career statement - and a verrry tempting one!

IF he chose to stand with Silva then I'd give Silva a decent 'chance' at pinging him with something with his back against the cage in his web as he does so well but he would need success early before Jones did damage with kicks and standing elbows from range using his wiggly hands snake-charming routine which he prides himself in - or 'Memorizing' as he calls it.

But I'm 100% positive Jones's camp would have him take Silva down immediately and destroy him from top position. Its safer, it works, he'd win.

If it happens the bookies will have Silva 3-1 at least and that would be fair. Silva has a punchers chance and that's it... granted a genius punchers chance. (you can forget head kicks, you can forget clinch-work, you can forget subs from the bottom.

If Silva continues to push the envelope of my admiration for his genius by finishing Weidman with some unbelievable move from a playstation game then I reserve the right to completely flip flop again!

Healy - relentless beast - you better have cardio and footwork to fight this guy

Kongo v Overeem yes - but he get's flattened with one horse meat fueled uppercut

Big Country is such a hero love the guy - haha Kung Fu fighter - I laugh everytime I hear that.although I think he has a WC or choy le fut background - I assume Choy Le Fut from the swinging side fist punch which is Choy style (and before I saw him do it last night I would've said is a bunch of crap having done some classes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Steve O

Belchers performance was absolutely shocking last night, 0 respect for Bispings hands and he paid for it. Hope his eye isn't too ****ed though.

Jones is absolutely untouchable and I consider myself lucky to be watching this guy fight. Terrible match up in the first place.

I really don't get the mentality people have when they say they can't stand fighters purely due to them being winners. Stinks of jealousy.

Anderson silva and Jones, something I would happily pay the guts of a grand to see happen live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

leggo wrote: »
    Thought Jones' post-fight interview was perversely hilarious. He went from laughing about what he treated like a cool scar to being completely freaked out and in shock in a matter of seconds...and Joe just wouldn't leave him alone!

For me, that was his finest performance. Reason being that Chael got his gameplan so right, the only way he was beating him was to attack attack attack relentlessly,and he did so better than Lyoto did. In spite of this, Jones just adapted on the fly and dominated. He was out of his comfort zone, couldn't control the range and was on the back foot for most of the stand-up...and yet still managed to kick the ever-loving **** out of Chael. In an MMA world where people think Greg Jackson masterminds wins before the fight even starts, Jones won that fight (convincingly) on pure skill and instinct.

That said, if Chael had lasted a further 30 seconds, we'd have a new LHW Champion right now. Wonder if he'll make a thing of that now, if there are any further Sonnen fights to come.

It was a good performance from jones but it was obvious what sonnens strategy would be so he would have prepared accordingly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

Dana said that Hunt or Commeir is next at the post fight. The 2nd fella is the one that held Mir for 3 round. probably spelt his name wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Hints about a super fight with Silva at the press conference. Silva and Jones could actually happen and it would be the biggest super-fight in the sport so far and likely to be for a long time...

Until McGregor and Aldo. :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Until McGregor and Aldo. :-)

That's not a superfight. McGregor vs Bendo after he takes Aldo's belt - now THAT's a superfight!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Gilbert Grape

That's not a superfight. McGregor vs Bendo after he takes Aldo's belt - now THAT's a superfight!

Keep dreaming,never happen

• Advertisement
Advertisement