Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hows the lungs

Options
  • 25-04-2013 9:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭

So I've decided to give vaping a go in an effort to try and give up the dreaded weed (20-30 a day). Ordered a kit (Joyetech eGo-C or T starter kit I'm pretty sure) off www.thebestshop.eu. So while I'm waiting for it to arrive, I thought I'd find out how people are finding the health benefits of having no tar or carbon monoxide invading your body any longer.

Has the smokers cough gone away? Are your lungs clearing out the phlegm buildup over all the years? How have you found it dealing with cravings of food and stuff? Any weight gain, I'm 23+ stone so this bit is important to me!?

Any input ye have is great. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭sept09baby

I never really suffered too badly with my health when I smoked but have definitely noticed a reduction in the number of colds/chesty coughs.

Def no increase in appetite. No weight gain - if anything I've lost a little (barely noticable though). Think it might have something to do with the liquids I use. I prefer mainly sweet and fruity juices so don't really crave something to nibble on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

yeah, no increase in appetite.. you're still getting the nicotine so you dont feel the need to eat to distract yourself. lungs started feeling better after a week or two for me, tastebuds took a month or so to start coming back same with the sense of smell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Engine No.9

sept09baby wrote: »
    Def no increase in appetite. No weight gain - if anything I've lost a little (barely noticable though). Think it might have something to do with the liquids I use. I prefer mainly sweet and fruity juices so don't really crave something to nibble on.

Yeah, I bought a 50ml tobacco and a 10ml chocolate, under advice from a friend that a 4-1 mix is desirable. But I have a terrible sweet tooth, specifically when it comes to chocolate, so hopefully that'll be that sorted. But on the 4-1 mix, I guess that'll come with experimentation as to what works best for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

After 2 months I'm breathing a lot better - have lost that awful first thing in the morning cough, although am still coughing up phlegm during the day. I feel loads better when out walking or attempting to exercise. One of the first questions I asked (here, I think) about vaping was whether it had any carbs or calories - have been dieting since last August and didn't want to shoot myself in the foot, as it were. I'm still losing weight, and really enjoying being able to vape flavours of things I no longer eat - like apple pie, chocolate donut, vanilla custard etc. If anything, it's made the dieting easier.

Best of luck making the switch to vaping when your kit arrives - personally, I found it very easy, and this from a former 30 a day smoker :D Can't quite believe I'm 5 stone down from last August, and now I don't smoke either! Hope you have a similarly positive experience.

Darkginger wrote: »
    Can't quite believe I'm 5 stone down from last August, and now I don't smoke either! Hope you have a similarly positive experience.

Fair play dude. Hoping I can get similar results. Really well done on the weight loss and hope it keeps going for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭MollyZ

I'm one month off the smokes and the big difference for me is the lack of coughing. I used to have really bad coughing fits throughout the day and that disappeared within days - I was really surprised it shifted so quickly. I also don't hear myself wheezing and rattling anymore. I think I probably have put on a little bit of weight, though only a couple of pounds and it would probably be less if I hadn't given up a week before Easter (house full of chocolate)!

Good luck with it OP. I hope it goes well for you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mandferguson

6 weeks vaping and i've lost my cough, my chest doesn't feel tight anymore, breathing easier and no weight gain. Oh and my sense of taste and smell have gotten alot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

Any weight you might gain can be lost through the fact that you'll be able to exercise more :P

Breathing Much better - can stay underwater for ages now in the pool.
    Not more coughing up crap/no smokers cough
    More stamina
    Better sleep
    Taste is fantastic

My main cravings are nicotine and caffeine .. now I generally smoke coffee flavored juice I should probably start on the tobacco flavour coffee :P

Bad points: I can now smell a smoker at 100 yards. Its really hard to believe that was me just a few months ago; Ick !

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭csi vegas

was.deevey wrote: »
    Better sleep

My main cravings are nicotine and caffeine .. now I generally smoke coffee flavored juice I should probably start on the tobacco flavour coffee :P

Amazingly, I now sleep about five nights out of seven. Previously it was around two. Seriously. I don't know if it was the actual need to keep smoking (I somehow felt I was 'missing out' if I went to lye down) or if it was the actual need for nicotine but I can say for sure that vaping eliminates the need for a constant 'hit', unlike smoking. I find that I can have just as few puffs and put it down, unlike smoking a cigarette where I always smoked it right down to the (falling off) butt :)

Have you tried Healthiersmoker's Italian Cappuchino? AMAZING.

OP: No increased appetite - no weight gain. Increased sleep though :)
    Sinus has cleared up considerably. Have a million times more energy.
    And a million Euro in the bank...not quite, but feels like it...

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭richardw001

One thing I'd add is giving up smoking is horrific ! Probably hits people differently however I thought hey a couple of days and the worst would be over - however it takes months and months to clear all the crap out
    Also a couple of times in the past few months I've been sick (never sick before this) a cough that can come back again and again (three times in the past three months !) And so on - the paranoia would be there in the back of my mind that its the vaping - however my wife went off the smokes at the same time as me and went cold turkey and she gets the exact same sort of things -
    Definitely feel so much healthier - however cigarette withdrawal (with or without vaping ) takes at least 6-12 months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Only vaping two weeks, when I picked up the vape I put down the fag,well half of one,haven't smoked since. I have no desire to either. It's amazed me how easy it has been since day one. Yes I'm still hooked on nicotine, I vape as much as I smoked,which was a lot,approx a 25g pouch a day. I'm not eating more,can take a deeper breath than before and not cough,haven't tried running yet,that usually didn't go well when I smoked,twenty feet would have me wheezing like an oulfella. It's been all positive so far,one of my excuses for not giving up has always been fear of putting on weight I couldn't afford but I honestly don't feel the usual cravings or the constant thoughts of smokes that I'd usually have. If anything,the actual act of stopping smoking,so easily, has boosted my confidence in my ability to do stuff I had considered in years, like lose weight and get fit,eventually.Good luck with it OP.

Just another thought/question on it. How has it affected your breath? Is the smokers breath completely gone or does some of it remain due to the fact that you're still inhaling nicotine flavours? I'm single and have noticed that for a lot of women, smoking is a huge deal breaker for them, I'm assuming its down to smokers breath and levels of fitness...

• Registered Users Posts: 5 _charlie_

Smoking just a good excuse from the girls!!! They are lying. :-)

Yes, first your smell will come back, than you won't cough, and your breath will be fine too, don't worry about it.
    I have a friend of mine, who's using ecigs for more than two years now, and he had a lung x-ray done. All fine, the doc said that even the signs of the smoke gone from his lung

Brilliant :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 feckinfecker

My lungs are still wheezy like an accordion 8 months into vaping. Anyone else the same?

Advertisement