Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Court rules in favour of Waterford Crystal workers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

And the fact that Gay Byrne has done more in his life to advance the cause and modernisation of Ireland than any hundred WC workers, has probably escaped your rather triumphalist sense of humour?

An overpaid DJ. Like the rest of them in Montrose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

7upfree wrote: »
    An overpaid DJ. Like the rest of them in Montrose.

As opposed to overpaid factory workers with an overinflated opinion of their use to society?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

As opposed to overpaid factory workers with an overinflated opinion of their use to society?

You just won't give up will you...forget about about it man they are getting their money so just move on and have a happy Christmas.

I can only put this down to a bad experience with a crystal worker. There is no other reason for your outlook.

* This was a national institution, which attracted tens of thousands of visitors yearly.

* The workers - while highly paid - were taxed off the face off the planet, contributing tens of millions in taxes.

* Their charity contributions are legendary.
    So don't be such a f*****g grinch.

As Moosknuckle says - happy Christmas.:). Now move on and let it go.

You just won't give up will you?
    For once... you're right!

• Advertisement

7upfree wrote: »
    I can only put this down to a bad experience with a crystal worker. There is no other reason for your outlook.

* This was a national institution, which attracted tens of thousands of visitors yearly.

* The workers - while highly paid - were taxed off the face off the planet, contributing tens of millions in taxes.

* Their charity contributions are legendary.
    So don't be such a f*****g grinch.

As Moosknuckle says - happy Christmas.:). Now move on and let it go.

I understand they are meeting today to announce if they will accept the offer.
    Very gracious of them!
    A bit like a panhandler looking at the money you'd give him before he decided if he'd accept it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

I understand they are meeting today to announce if they will accept the offer.
    Very gracious of them!
    A bit like a panhandler looking at the money you'd give him before he decided if he'd accept it or not.

Idiot post. The former workers have the right to make collective democratic decisions of what to do. It is not up to one worker to make decisions without consulting with everybody first.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭manor

This was no national institution, it was a company/ business that simply went bust.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

I remember back in the 1980s lads in my street getting jobs in WC once they finished school. They went from being ignored to respectable members of their community overnight. Neighbours were in awe of them because they got a permanent factory job.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭martin12

• Advertisement

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacy_of_relative_privation

We could go on like this all day if you like?

Are you still at it? Will ya give it a rest. I'm sure the WC lads have their feet up and are chuckling at you.:D

Saw on news just now that they have decided to accept the offer.
    They will get, up to, a 40,000 eur tax free lump sum in addition to the generous pensions.
    This will come out of "central funds" which means that you and I, along with the poorest in society, will be financing it.
    Happy Christmas everyone!
    It's nice to see Santa work his magic.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

Saw on news just now that they have decided to accept the offer.
    They will get, up to, a 40,000 eur tax free lump sum in addition to the generous pensions.
    This will come out of "central funds" which means that you and I, along with the poorest in society, will be financing it.
    Happy Christmas everyone!
    It's nice to see Santa work his magic.

Will you ever just fuck off.

Will you ever just fuck off.
    No!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Deise67

you coming out for a beer to celebrate ?

Deise67 wrote: »
    you coming out for a beer to celebrate ?

I might!
    Are you buying?
    It's probably the only way I'll get any of my money back out of Waterford.:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Beaner1

What a joke. The state bankrolling private pensions now.

The workers at WC have now joined such elite groups as Bank of Ireland and AIB in raiding the public coffers to support their pension fund.
    Only difference is we have some chance of getting the money back from B of I.... less so from AIB.
    We have however, no chance of getting the money back from WC workers or their wonderful union.

I have a great idea. I'm going to setup a new company. I'll employ a few mates on basic contracts but with pensions of 50K per year after the age of 45. I'll fold the company after a year or so and then we can all claim our big payoffs from the benevolent Irish state.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Yet again the Ordinary tax payer is ripped off by the goverment. Why are we responsible for private pensions when the pension company and the company itself goes bust?
    Most private companies are insured against closure or redundancy payouts, was that not situation in this case.

Beaner1 wrote: »
    I have a great idea. I'm going to setup a new company. I'll employ a few mates on basic contracts but with pensions of 50K per year after the age of 45. I'll fold the company after a year or so and then we can all claim our big payoffs from the benevolent Irish state.

read the EU directive idiot ! or maybe get someone to explain before you post drivel. cabbage !!!

I really can't believe this. Why was the pension fund insolvent? I'll tell you. It was underfunded and overly generous. Big pensions were paid to people that had retired way out if proportion to their contributions. How has this become the states problem. The ponzi scheme collapsed leaving those at the bottom at a loss. Tough.

I really can't believe this. Why was the pension fund insolvent? I'll tell you. It was underfunded and overly generous. Big pensions were paid to people that had retired way out if proportion to their contributions. How has this become the states problem. The ponzi scheme collapsed leaving those at the bottom at a loss. Tough.

pint of bitter for u as well !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Jaysus, the begrudgery here is minboggling. Some people cannot accept that those retired workers were getting their just entitlement, decided by the highest court in E.U. I really hope they have a very Happy Christmas.

Jaysus, the begrudgery here is minboggling. Some people cannot accept that those retired workers were getting their just entitlement, decided by the highest court in E.U. I really hope they have a very Happy Christmas.

Ah yes.... but getting them off whom?
    There's the rub!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Jaysus, the begrudgery here is minboggling. Some people cannot accept that those retired workers were getting their just entitlement
    That's Waterford boy! Imagine sending your kids to a good school and college only to see them move to Australia. Meanwhile, your neighbour spent his best years in a unionised factory and next month will be driving a 15 reg car!

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

The very same reason why people almost get sick when they hear that the lotto was won in Waterford...

The very same reason why people almost get sick when they hear that the lotto was won in Waterford...

Just reading elesehwre that in the past seven years, the HSE spent MILLIONS of euro buying out the pinion of senior "officers" so they could "retire rely, some on the basis of ill health".

If it were any mere private sector mortals they'd be told to f**k off down to the Labour and large a disability claim.

Yes, the begrudger here is staggering.

• Advertisement

Jealous much? Maybe a teeny bit bitter?

Advertisement