Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Court rules in favour of Waterford Crystal workers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

7upfree wrote: »
    Jealous much? Maybe a teeny bit bitter?

Just accept that if we decided to give the lot to charity there would still be

critism from certain sections of the community.

Move along quietly please!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

Did you see the fellow on the news yesterday saying that "up to now they had to put up with crumbs from the rich man's table but they had now won bigger portions". (Or words to that effect)
    I have news for the idiot: it's not coming from the rich man's table ....it's coming from my table and thousands of people like me around the country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Beaner1

Jealous much? Maybe a teeny bit bitter?

No, I'm magnitudes wealthier and I don't even live in Ireland.
    Stuff like this verifies my decision to leave. There is no fairness or adherence to rules in Ireland. It's always been about bleeding the younger generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Did you see the fellow on the news yesterday saying that "up to now they had to put up with crumbs from the rich man's table but they had now won bigger portions". (Or words to that effect)
    I have news for the idiot: it's not coming from the rich man's table ....it's coming from my table and thousands of people like me around the country.

Newsflash - the rich man (banker/developer/pencil in as necessary) stole an awful lot more from "your" table (it's also coming from mine BTW). I don't see you complaining about THAT.

Beaner1 wrote: »
    No, I'm magnitudes wealthier and I don't even live in Ireland.
    Stuff like this verifies my decision to leave. There is no fairness or adherence to rules in Ireland. It's always been about bleeding the younger generation.

What's your problem then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

What's your problem then?

lol, you not like when someone has an opinion....

Newsflash - the rich man (banker/developer/pencil in as necessary) stole an awful lot more from "your" table (it's also coming from mine BTW). I don't see you complaining about THAT.
    How do you know what I complain about?

How do you know what I complain about?

Would ye all leave this guy alone!
    He's not happy & I for one can accept that & that's not easy to say.
    He's in his own space at the moment & good luck to him in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

Can we not just lock this thread now. It's going around in circles.

One or two people (mostly just one) complain then everyone has their say about why they are wrong.

The workers have been approved for a settlement. Case closed.

Can't keep debating the same thing over and over

Good article on page four of the "Money Plus" section of yesterday's Sunday Business Post.

In the article, two pensions experts have reiterated, almost word for word, most of the comments I have made on this and other websites. The sentiments expressed may have been different but the facts are the same.
    A dangerous, and very unfair, precedent has been set here!

• Advertisement

Good article on page four of the "Money Plus" section of yesterday's Sunday Business Post.

In the article, two pensions experts have reiterated, almost word for word, most of the comments I have made on this and other websites. The sentiments expressed may have been different but the facts are the same.

I'm going to give mine back! Shocking carry on!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

If you worked for 35 or 40 years as some. And then at the end of it only get a state pension you be rightly pissed about it seening as you paid during your working life for your future retirment. Life does not end at 65 after all.

Ok maybe they got to much, maybe they are getting to little. But at the end of the day they WORKED.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

AS REQUESTED BEFORE MODS PLEASE CLOSE THREAD GOING NOWHERE FAST

wellboytoo wrote: »
    AS REQUESTED BEFORE MODS PLEASE CLOSE THREAD GOING NOWHERE FAST

I would ask the mods not to give in to pressure to curtail free speech and opinion just because one side don't like it!

I never worked for WG neither did any of my family, nor do I profit from this pension deal, I do however live in Waterford all my life and know how contentious this and other related WG issues have been, and probably will get if this thread continues.
    To absolutely no avail only allowing people to vent their prejudices, hence my call to close it.

BadCharlie wrote: »
    If you worked for 35 or 40 years as some. And then at the end of it only get a state pension you be rightly pissed about it seening as you paid during your working life for your future retirment. Life does not end at 65 after all.

Ok maybe they got to much, maybe they are getting to little. But at the end of the day they WORKED.

They were paying into a bust scheme. Their beef is with the people alresdy retired who bled it dry and the fund managers.

wellboytoo wrote: »
    I never worked for WG neither did any of my family, nor do I profit from this pension deal, I do however live in Waterford all my life and know how contentious this and other related WG issues have been, and probably will get if this thread continues.
    To absolutely no avail only allowing people to vent their prejudices, hence my call to close it.

So... the city and county of Waterford is trembling on a knife edge of social chaos just because of a few posts on Boards.
    Pull the other one.... will ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

I'm personally just sick of your whinging about the same thing over and over again.

It's done. Move on.

Not saying I fully agree with every aspect of it myself but how many times does it need to be repeated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭Wailin

While I have every sympathy with Waterford Crystal workers and the plight they find themselves in
    It was a scandal that these workers were left without any pension.
    I have said that all along and not only on this thread.
    You and the rest of the Deise Mafia throw out personal insults like snuff at a wake!
    I'm neither begrudging or bitter. I have picked myself up and made alternative arrangements for my retirement which are working our quite well.

Wow! Talk about a fall from grace! You really come across as an obnoxious person of the highest order Curly. You shouldn't let all that bitterness take hold and fester, not good for your health.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

If this happened in Galway with an IT company going bust and then the workers finally getting their redundancy/pensions there would be lots of new start-up companies created by the former workers. It would benefit the region and create plenty of new jobs.

• Advertisement

fiachr_a wrote: »
    If this happened in Galway with an IT company going bust and then the workers finally getting their redundancy/pensions there would be lots of new start-up companies created by the former workers. It would benefit the region and create plenty of new jobs.

But?

Absolutely not. If anything it is a very good precedent. Especially after the money which has been squadded on zombie banks, bankrupt banks, "property developers" et al in this country.

At least citizens who have paid millions of euro in taxes are getting some of it back.

At last.

Absolutely not. If anything it is a very good precedent. Especially after the money which has been squadded on zombie banks, bankrupt banks, "property developers" et al in this country.

At least citizens who have paid millions of euro in taxes are getting some of it back.

At last.
    They're getting it from some other average Joe. The only deserve the 15% back that was actually funded.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭johnsparkexile

Beaner1"They're getting it from some other average Joe. The only deserve the 15% back that was actually funded."

While the taxpayer has to foot the bill,the failure of the present and past governments to enact an EU directive and the failure of this governments case against Unite in the European Court of Justice is the reason that the workers are entitled to more then the 15%.

The government argued on 7 points and lost on every one of them.

Unite winning that case forced the Irish Government to enact the 2013 Pension protection legislation protecting workers pensions. A great victory for workers rights in this country.

This case only effects Waterford Crystal and 2 or 3 other small companies and will not open the floodgates as some pension experts are claiming.

Originally Posted by Curly Judge

"A dangerous, and very unfair, precedent has been set here!"

As per my last post, This case only effects Waterford Crystal and 2 or 3 other small companies and will not open the floodgates as some pension experts are claiming.

"I have picked myself up and made alternative arrangements for my retirement which are working our quite well."

Most of the workers were too old when the company collapsed to make any arrangements alternative or otherwise, unfortunately 36 of them have died since 2009.

Those young enough to do so have secured employment where and whenever they could , not an easy option in Waterford as it has one of the highest rates of unemployment in the country.

"I have picked myself up and made alternative arrangements for my retirement which are working our quite well."

Most of the workers were too old when the company collapsed to make any arrangements alternative or otherwise, unfortunately 36 of them have died since 2009.

Those young enough to do so have secured employment where and whenever they could , not an easy option in Waterford as it has one of the highest rates of unemployment in the country.

If the work practices that permeated WC are replicated throughout the rest of the county....I'm not surprised.

"If the work practices that permeated WC are replicated throughout the rest of the county....I'm not surprised."

Did you work there?

"If the work practices that permeated WC are replicated throughout the rest of the county....I'm not surprised."

Did you work there?

No...nothing to do with the place!
    And I live in the north Midlands and have never sought or been rejected for a job in WC, contrary to some suggestions on this site.
    My (now former) brother in law worked there in the accounts dept. for some time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

While I would agree that it unfair that many, many people have lost their pensions and the remit of this ruling only applies where double insolvency occurs - I have to say (and I hate saying this) Waterford needs and deserves some sort of financial boost and I'm glad to see some people in Waterford getting what they are legally entitled.

Curly Judge, the law isn't fair in many many cases, but it is the law and it has been applied fairly in this case. What exactly is your point??

Robert Maxwell jumped off a boat in 1991, he had raided the pension funded of his workers, Europe was issuing directives since then on the issue of pension protection. Our governements either intentionally or negligently continued to ignore the warnings they were been given, now we are all paying the price, thats what happens all the time, so why is if unfair in this particular case ??

The government are completely destroying us as a county, Waterford has been downgraded, its happened thats it. While other parts of the country are seeing signs of growth, we are not.

Fairness has to be applied to all equally, we don't live in country where this happens, I can't for the life of me understand why people are moaning given that Waterford hasn't been receiving anywhere near the attention it needs ??

Advertisement