Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Court rules in favour of Waterford Crystal workers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

While I would agree that it unfair that many, many people have lost their pensions and the remit of this ruling only applies where double insolvency occurs - I have to say (and I hate saying this) Waterford needs and deserves some sort of financial boost and I'm glad to see some people in Waterford getting what they are legally entitled.

Curly Judge, the law isn't fair in many many cases, but it is the law and it has been applied fairly in this case. What exactly is your point??

Robert Maxwell jumped off a boat in 1991, he had raided the pension funded of his workers, Europe was issuing directives since then on the issue of pension protection. Our governements either intentionally or negligently continued to ignore the warnings they were been given, now we are all paying the price, thats what happens all the time, so why is if unfair in this particular case ??

The government are completely destroying us as a county, Waterford has been downgraded, its happened thats it. While other parts of the country are seeing signs of growth, we are not.

Fairness has to be applied to all equally, we don't live in country where this happens, I can't for the life of me understand why people are moaning given that Waterford hasn't been receiving anywhere near the attention it needs ??

The gist of your post seems to be that and you (and several others down there) feel entitled to this 178 million cash injection because of some perceived neglect of your bailiwick?
    Interesting viewpoint!
    Perhaps you are suffering from some sort of post Martin Cullen syndrome?
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2153931/Cullens-life-luxury--taxes-Minister-e-voting-quit-2010-bad--120k-pension-Now-new-Jag-Florida-mansion--new-love.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Beaner1

No...nothing to do with the place!
    And I live in the north Midlands and have never sought or been rejected for a job in WC, contrary to some suggestions on this site.
    My (now former) brother in law worked there in the accounts dept. for some time.

Any good stories?

Beaner1 wrote: »
    Any good stories?

Other than stories about the sulphuric atmosphere between "Star Turn", so called craftsmen and weak, vacillating management ...no!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Deise67

Other than stories about the sulphuric atmosphere between "Star Turn", so called craftsmen and weak, vacillating management ...no!

don't seem to have a bad number yerself ! you spend more time here posting and grumbling ! any jobs going ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Can this man safely return to Waterford now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

The gist of your post seems to be that and you (and several others down there) feel entitled to this 178 million cash injection because of some perceived neglect of your bailiwick?
    Interesting viewpoint!
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2153931/Cullens-life-luxury--taxes-Minister-e-voting-quit-2010-bad--120k-pension-Now-new-Jag-Florida-mansion--new-love.html

No the just is that the paltry sum of €178m pales in comparison to the BILLIONS pumped into banks. And those HSE employees who were allowed "retire early on the basis of ill-health" with the state buying out the remainder of their pensions. Sauce, goose, gander.

that case forced the Irish Government to enact the 2013 Pension protection legislation protecting workers pensions. A great victory for workers rights in this country.

Very well said.

Originally Posted by johnsparkexile
    that case forced the Irish Government to enact the 2013 Pension protection legislation protecting workers pensions. A great victory for workers rights in this country.
    7upfree wrote: »
    Very well said.

A few more "victories" like that and we'll be right as rain.:rolleyes:

A few more "victories" like that and we'll be right as rain.:rolleyes:

A moral victory from common man and common sense. Not economic vultures. For once.

A moral victory from common man and common sense. Not economic vultures. For once.

Some victory. The average paye worker is down a hundred quid to cover someone else's pension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

sorry but you are having a laugh....
    the common man is paying for it, when it had nothing to do with them...
    so it is a slap in the face for most common men...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

Interesting viewpoint!

No, the gist is that our government yet again messed up and because of it everyone has suffered, to some extent. Waterford Crystal workers have gone through years of stress and worry awaiting the out come of this case and tax payers will have to foot the bill now. But tax payers always have to foot the bill when governments mess up, I'm lost on why you think it should be different in this specific case, you are not addressing this point! As I have said, the pension issue was flagged on many occasions at European level but our government choose to ignore it, so why would you expect the Waterford Crystal workers or any other workers for that matter, to waive their legal entitlement?

Seriously, are you expecting me to read the an article in the Daily Mail ?

Seriously, are you expecting me to take anything as researched fact when it is quoted in the Daily Mail or sourced by the Daily Mail ?

No, the gist is that our government yet again messed up and because of it everyone has suffered, to some extent. Waterford Crystal workers have gone through years of stress and worry awaiting the out come of this case and tax payers will have to foot the bill now. But tax payers always have to foot the bill when governments mess up, I'm lost on why you think it should be different in this specific case, you are not addressing this point! As I have said, the pension issue was flagged on many occasions at European level but our government choose to ignore it, so why would you expect the Waterford Crystal workers or any other workers for that matter, to waive their legal entitlement?

Seriously, are you expecting me to read the an article in the Daily Mail ?

Seriously, are you expecting me to take anything as researched fact when it is quoted in the Daily Mail or sourced by the Daily Mail ?

My dear, dear boy,
    I don't expect you to do anything!

My dear, dear boy,
    I don't expect you to do anything!

another busy day in the office ! missed ya Saturday xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Bum Humbug to Curly Judge & gang, sad to see so much people only interested in No1.

BadCharlie wrote: »
    Bum Humbug to Curly Judge & gang, sad to see so much people only interested in No1.

Au contrair, mon ami.
    Your exercise in logic fails at the first hurdle.
    Whereas you and your friends are only interested in the welfare of 1780 people, I, and my friends, are concerned for the welfare of the whole taxpaying public.

Au contrair, mon ami.
    Whereas you and your friends are only interested in the welfare of 1780 people, I, and my friends, are concerned for the welfare of the whole taxpaying public.

and this judgment is the biggest threat to Irelands economic recovery ? wake up , have you been under a rock or hiding with bin laden since 2008 ? would love to know your real agenda here !

Deise67 wrote: »
    and this judgment is the biggest threat to Irelands economic recovery ? wake up , have you been under a rock or hiding with bin laden since 2008 ? would love to know your real agenda here !

Where did I say it was the "biggest threat to Ireland's economic recovery".
    Please don't put words in my mouth.
    I do however think it's unfair, unjust, and a very bad precedent.
    Why can't the rest of the delusionals chip in from their ludicrous defined benefit pensions instead of raiding the meagre defined contribution pensions of the rest of us?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Why can't the rest of the delusionals chip in from their ludicrous defined benefit pensions instead of raiding the meagre defined contribution pensions of the rest of us?

Use of the word "delusionals" aside, I admit you have a strong point here. A DB pension is a fair old benefit to have. A DC pension is a much lesser being, so if any future or current pensioners should be hit, the weight should fall more on the DB pensioners...

Where did I say it was the "biggest threat to Ireland's economic recovery".
    Please don't put words in my mouth.
    I do however think it's unfair, unjust, and a very bad precedent.

take it up with Europe, challenge the deal ? DB are hens teeth now , I'm paying into a DC fund now , move on lad its done no matter if you agree or disagree ! its the system we live by , courts , democracy and all that ! we all pay into the central exchequer , do I agree with all that's done with my tax money , no I don't , but I accept it in general and get on with life , you should try it ! battle is lost war is lost , move on !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

there was never a war in the first place, the glass workers pension fund was decimated after paying into it for years the courts rule that it had to be paid for

It was, end of story, and if this country had half the tenacity of the workers who went after what was rightfully theres we wouldn't be living in the clown of a country were living in now

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Au contrair, mon ami.

You talk about stop putting words in your mouth just above "or below my other post", then say you and friends are only interested in 1780 people !!! Never did i say that!!!

If i was to follow what you are saying.
    I should hand in my notice at work today, cause after all i might not get my entitlements if the company i work for goes under and is poorly run. Sit on my ass all week and wait for my hand outs.

Paying the WC workers is 100% correct. But how much they should be paid is the question?? which i don't think anyone on this forum is in a position to call.

Do people not understand, the people left go have very little hope in getting a Job ever, as most of the work forse are well past their prime.

Such a strong smell of soured grapes.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

Waterford publicans will be over joyed lol .Weatherspoon just arrived at the right time .

shinzon wrote: »
    there was never a war in the first place, the glass workers pension fund was decimated after paying into it for years the courts rule that it had to be paid for

It was, end of story, and if this country had half the tenacity of the workers who went after what was rightfully theres we wouldn't be living in the clown of a country were living in now

Shin

Where did the money go? Maybe they should sue those that took it.

Find this guy a political party!

teacher-exodus-adds-25m-to-pension-costs-30820798

Teachers leaving their posts to cost another €25m. It keeps building & building.
    I'm glad I'm emigrating.

Beaner1 wrote: »
    Where did the money go? Maybe they should sue those that took it.

ever try suing a dead man ?

• Advertisement

Deise67 wrote: »
    ever try suing a dead man ?

You can't so just cut your losses and move on. But no, papa Ireland will jump in and pay for all your problems despite having nothing to do with your private pension arrangements.

Advertisement