Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Court rules in favour of Waterford Crystal workers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Put this in ye're pipe & take a good long puff on it!

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0121/674671-politcians/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

7upfree wrote: »
    Are you still here?:D

The bailout will justify things for eons.

the bailout justifies nothing.. to think otherwise is pure stupidity

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Put this in ye're pipe & take a good long puff on it!

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0121/674671-politcians/

??? why???

again what has that to do with WC pensions.....

when this is your type of argument to justify you robbing money hey... go for it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

robtri wrote: »
    ??? why???

again what has that to do with WC pensions.....

when this is your type of argument to justify you robbing money hey... go for it

Lol! The blinkered outlook towards true WC workers here knows NO bounds really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Beaner1

The guy that dodged vat got 7 years. Some rapist got 12 months suspended therefore I can rape people. That is the level of your argument

• Advertisement

Beaner1 wrote: »
    The guy that dodged vat got 7 years. Some rapist got 12 months suspended therefore I can rape people. That is the level of your argument

What is this "level" you speak of? Bankers and developers raped this country. Some are even still being paid a wage by NAMA. I applaud the WC workers on a truly deserved victory for the ordinary worker.

And f*** the begrudgers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Did they get that money yet?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

fiachr_a wrote: »
    Did they get that money yet?

March I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Guramoogah

This has all gone very quiet ... have the ex-Waterford Crystal workers received any money yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭dlnv27

No sign of anything yet. As usual If you owe money they grab it from you but when you're owed money you have to nearly beg to get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

im wondering will they ever get it. diabolical behaviour from all responsible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

This is absolutely shocking. The formula was agreed in January, they gave themselves two months to get it sorted and now, five months later nothing is done? I hate playing the victim card but if this was Cork, Dublin or Galway Crystal the workers would have had their money the week after the decision was made or they would at least have received an interim payment. Where is the outrage from our local TDs? (I know... where are our local TDs... full stop.)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Deise Vu wrote: »
    This is absolutely shocking. The formula was agreed in January, they gave themselves two months to get it sorted and now, five months later nothing is done? I hate playing the victim card but if this was Cork, Dublin or Galway Crystal the workers would have had their money the week after the decision was made or they would at least have received an interim payment. Where is the outrage from our local TDs? (I know... where are our local TDs... full stop.)

This isn't true

CatFromHue wrote: »
    This isn't true

Have you got a rational explanation for the delay then other than 'couldn't give a ****' ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The way WC shut down was very messy so I'd say it's to do with that.

The reason for it shutting down has nothing to do with what would happen to the workers after it shut down if the plant was in a different Irish city than Waterford though.

The reason for it shutting down has nothing to do with what would happen to the workers after it shut down if the plant was in a different Irish city than Waterford though.

Do you actually know the issue we are talking about here? The workers won a case against the Govt for pensions and compensation. It was agreed in January that it would be paid by March. That has absolutely nothing to do with a messy closure and everything to do with some Govt jobsworth not getting the finger out.

I hate playing the victim card but if this was Cork, Dublin or Galway Crystal the workers would have had their money the week after the decision was made
    Do you actually know the issue we are talking about here? The workers won a case against the Govt for pensions and compensation. It was agreed in January that it would be paid by March. That has absolutely nothing to do with a messy closure and everything to do with some Govt jobsworth not getting the finger out.

yes yes but that's got nothing to do with if the company was based in any of our other cities

yes yes but that's got nothing to do with if the company was based in any of our other cities

If it happened anywhere else but Waterford there would be a minister kicking arses to get the money paid. I can't prove that no more than you can disprove it. Mine is a deeply held conviction going back to the mid 80's. When Digital closed their operation in Galway, the Govt changed the rules about redundancy tax relief that had been in place since the 60's in response to workers complaints that their extremely generous packages were being taxed too much (they weren't!). They also set up a task force that had Boston Scientific brought in within a few months of the closure. You just can't beat having ministers in your pocket.

If it happened anywhere else but Waterford there would be a minister kicking arses to get the money paid. I can't prove that no more than you can disprove it. Mine is a deeply held conviction going back to the mid 80's. When Digital closed their operation in Galway, the Govt changed the rules about redundancy tax relief that had been in place since the 60's in response to workers complaints that their extremely generous packages were being taxed too much (they weren't!). They also set up a task force that had Boston Scientific brought in within a few months of the closure. You just can't beat having ministers in your pocket.

you do make very good points alright. waterford is dreadfully represented at the moment. its very worrying. the way the workers are being treated in this is dreadful. im sure some are waiting on this money to pay mortgages and what not

Have to disagree. It is COMPLETELY different. Waterford is - and has been, miserably represented.

• Advertisement

Waterford has the same amount of TD's as similar sized areas so you're represented fairly similar to other areas.

Yes you don't have a minister but I think you did have one around the time WC closed down, and did for most of the 00's, granted he resigned not long after but he was there.

Waterford has the same amount of TD's as similar sized areas so you're represented fairly similar to other areas.

Yes you don't have a minister but I think you did have one around the time WC closed down, and did for most of the 00's, granted he resigned not long after but he was there.

We did. And he was one of the better ones. But in the main, Waterford has been disgracefully represented. Look at the current three......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

7upfree wrote: »
    We did. And he was one of the better ones. But in the main, Waterford has been disgracefully represented. Look at the current three......

Not to worry!
    From now on every worker in the country will be chipping in from their meagre wages to ensure that the overpaid Glass workers, (who thought the world owed them a living, and that the market for their baubles would bear any price they cared to dream up) can live in the style they had become accustomed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭johnsparkexile

Not to worry!
    From now on every worker in the country will be chipping in from their meagre wages to ensure that the overpaid Glass workers, (who thought the world owed them a living, and that the market for their baubles would bear any price they cared to dream up) can live in the style they had become accustomed to.

With the exception of the 40 who died since 2009 while waiting for the Government ( both past and present) to honour their commitments under EU law to put in place pension legislation to protect workers rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

Not to worry!

How much were these workers being paid to say you would describe them as overpaid? In your opinion how much should they have been paid?

You must know them all personally to know their thoughts that the world owed them a living.

You must also know them all quite well to make a statement about knowing the style they are living in.

They were awarded something under rules that govern every pension scheme in the country, not just Waterford Crystal.

Not to worry!

chippity chip chip!

pay them already!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

The problem with Waterford is that no-one brags about coming from there. If it was Kilkenny/Donegal/Kerry Crystal that closed down they would get treated better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

^ I dont understand that post at all....what difference does it make where the Crystal factory was located? At the end of the day they have had to fight for years for what was legally theirs, a pension, just like all other workers public and private have paid into. I certainly am proud to be from here, we have lovely beaches, a beautiful inner city, fine dining, very friendly people and lots of potential what with the airport, Winterval festivals etc. We are finally getting back on our feet. But the issue here is the pensions, why shouldnt the workers get what they paid into? They have had to jump hoops for years just to get heard.

The problem with Waterford is that no-one brags about coming from there. If it was Kilkenny/Donegal/Kerry Crystal that closed down they would get treated better.

hahaha strange posts as always!

• Advertisement

The problem with Waterford is that no-one brags about coming from there.

Nothing could be further from the actual truth.

Advertisement