Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Court rules in favour of Waterford Crystal workers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Deise67

to the obvious troll , the circumstances that prevailed in the glass .I.e. both company & fund were insolvent is not going to turn into a tsunami , don't feed the troll !

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭deise blue

Deise67 wrote: »
    to the obvious troll , the circumstances that prevailed in the glass .I.e. both company & fund were insolvent is not going to turn into a tsunami , don't feed the troll !

Ah God Deise67 - you have spoiled my fun :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

Originally posted by Deise 67:
    to the obvious troll , the circumstances that prevailed in the glass
    .I.e. both company & fund were insolvent is not going to turn into a tsunami , don't feed the troll !
    deise blue wrote: »
    Ah God Deise67 - you have spoiled my fun :D

Yes indeed....
    They're out in droves tonight.
    It's must be the handy money that attracts them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

They should get what they put in.
    I've absolutely no problem with that.
    But that's not what they're looking for ....is it?

They should get what they were contractually promised. The main reason you stay with an employer is for your agreed monetary compensation. You seem to have a problem with this basic social contract. Your alternative is retroactivelly applying laws. I won't invoke Godwin's Law so I will compare you to someone more moderate like Augusto Pinochet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

What is this famous precedent you are going on about?
    If you're talking about the award the British government decided to pay the Wedgwood workers I don't see how that sets a precedent for this [supposedly independent] country.
    Incidentally I have not rowed in behind the governments 50% offer.
    The ECJ ruling was wrong but in the absence of this spineless government saying even boo, in case it would upset the European hierarchy, anything which can reduce the taxpayers exposure to this nonsense ranks as a least worst option.

Nonsense? Like the bank bailout? Or the AIB pension fund bailout. Get a grip FFS.

• Advertisement

And are you going to do the same for all the workers at:
    Aer Lingus, Bord na Mona, DAA and god knows how many more outfits around the country whose workforce are big on expectation but short when it comes to contributions.
    I would love to know how often the famous Unite opposed higher member contributions to the pension fund when the company was up and running?

internet-troll1.jpg

7upfree wrote: »
    internet-troll1.jpg

Nice selfie...congratulations!

Nice selfie...congratulations!

Yeah. Found it earlier. Where did you take it? :)

They should get what they were contractually promised. The main reason you stay with an employer is for your agreed monetary compensation. You seem to have a problem with this basic social contract. Your alternative is retroactivelly applying laws. I won't invoke Godwin's Law so I will compare you to someone more moderate like Augusto Pinochet.

Pinochet...ouch.
    Still ...it could have been worse.
    Now if you had compared me to Pretty Boy Barrett or Joe Higgins, then I really would have felt insulted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

Pinochet...ouch.
    Still ...it could have been worse.
    Now if you had compared me to Pretty Boy Barrett or Joe Higgins, then I really would have felt insulted.

Yep says it all really.

• Advertisement

RTE news announced this morning (Radio one, 8.00AM) that this is near settlement.
    Wonder how much it's going to cost the taxpayer?

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

RTE news announced this morning (Radio one, 8.00AM) that this is near settlement.

Millions and most of it will go back to the local economy here in Waterford unlike bailing out backs, bond holders etc etc for hundreds of millions.

Brace yourself :) , it's going to be huge & includes a lump sum of €1,000 per year of service apparently which lump sum will not affect social welfare payments.

Keep the Xanax close to hand.

Great news just before Christmas - the city will be all the more festive for it.

The Deise boys will be whooping it up while the rest of the country have to dig into our ever smaller pockets to fund a luxury lifestyle for greedy workers who bankrupted their own company.
    Enjoy your Christmas Lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Waterford Crystal workers should get the pension they were entitled to. However I can remember 20+ years ago when I lived in an area that was about 50/50 crystal workers and public service workers (mostly teachers) and the houses that always had a nice new car were the crystal workers, and the old bangers belonged to the ps workers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

looksee wrote: »
    Waterford Crystal workers should get the pension they were entitled to. However I can remember 20+ years ago when I lived in an area that was about 50/50 crystal workers and public service workers (mostly teachers) and the houses that always had a nice new car were the crystal workers, and the old bangers belonged to the ps workers.

And?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

The Deise boys will be whooping it up while the rest of the country have to dig into our ever smaller pockets to fund a luxury lifestyle for greedy workers who bankrupted their own company.

Lol yeah all the workers can go back to driving Ferraris :rolleyes:

The blame for the pension debacle lies solely at the feet of FF who failed to legislate for a pension protection scheme as required by EU legislation .

Your obvious angst at the latest news is hardly going to be treated with anything but a certain amount of levity by most on this forum.

I would like to wish you a happy Christmas but I think it's pointless as bitterness seems to be your prevailing mood at the moment.

looksee wrote: »

Ah yes, those poor underpaid and underprivileged PS workers......:rolleyes:

Lol! Hard to believe someone could actually post such drivel.

• Advertisement

Lol yeah all the workers can go back to driving Ferraris :rolleyes:

I'll be rightly miffed altogether if any of their Ferraris turn out to be shinier than mine.:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

They should get what they were contractually promised. The main reason you stay with an employer is for your agreed monetary compensation
    The main reason they stayed is because it was suppose to be a job for life. Some of the biggest gobsh1tes I grew up with ended up in Waterford Crystal because their families had connections. These lads are now on welfare and haven't a hope of well paid work again so their pensions are needed.

fiachr_a wrote: »
    The main reason they stayed is because it was suppose to be a job for life. Some of the biggest gobsh1tes I grew up with ended up in Waterford Crystal because their families had connections. These lads are now on welfare and haven't a hope of well paid work again so their pensions are needed.

Wait until you see what comes out of the woodwork over the weeks coming up to Christmas when details of these bloated and unearned pensions come to light.
    To misquote Samuel Johnson : Nothing riles people as much as the comfort of their friends.

Wait until you see what comes out of the woodwork over the weeks coming up to Christmas when details of these bloated and unearned pensions come to light.
    To misquote Samuel Johnson : Nothing riles people as much as the comfort of their friends.

The vast majority of people will be pleased that the efforts of the Glass workers & Unite trade union have come to a conclusion .

The naysayers such as yourself will simply have to swallow what will undoubtedly be a bitter pill for them made worse by the fact that there is absolutely nothing they can do about it except whinge !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

What about the 34 dead workers' pensions?

The vast majority of people will be pleased that the efforts of the Glass workers & Unite trade union have come to a conclusion .

The naysayers such as yourself will simply have to swallow what will undoubtedly be a bitter pill for them made worse by the fact that there is absolutely nothing they can do about it except whinge !

And whinge we will.... from the rooftops....make no mistake about it!

And whinge we will.... from the rooftops....make no mistake about it!

The rooftop is probably the ideal location , your complaints will simply dissolve into the ether .

Watch your balance as well - the chip on your shoulder may propel you off the roof :D

Undoubtedly. Delighted to see this resolved. For all the attempts by the Irish Government to stymie it a second time round.

The rooftop is probably the ideal location , your complaints will simply dissolve into the ether .

Watch your balance as well - the chip on your shoulder may propel you off the roof :D

No chip on my shoulder at all.
    I'll be able to paddle my own canoe no matter what happens.
    It's just the greedy injustice of it all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

They paid into a pension, it's their money. I don't understand the 'greedy' insinuation.

Advertisement