Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hi looking for good introductory books on Taoism

• 25-04-2013 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭

Hi there , I was hoping that maybe someone could recommend me some good and easy introductory reading on Taoism that isnt too scholarly or esoteric/abstract , so far I have been reading the Tao of pooh and a translation of the Tao Te Ching , thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Joe1919

I am a bit of a fan of Chuang Tzu (Zhuangzi) but his writings are difficult. Steven Mitchell has a readable interpretation called 'The Second Book of the Tao'.

I read a very readable book lately called 'The Tao of Zen' by Ray Grigg. This book explores the relationship between Taoism and Zen, and controversially suggests that some forms of Zen Buddhism (e.g Southern Chinese 'Chan', sudden enlightenment tradition) are a continuation of the Taoist tradition.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Tao-Zen-Ray-Grigg/dp/0785811257

Advertisement