Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a new phone

Options
  • 25-04-2013 10:09am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Currently have an iPhone 4s after owning an iPhone 4. Would be interested in the iPhone 5 but knowing that the iPhone 5s/6 could be out in 6 months and the cost has me thinking of others. A change away from iOS is no harm either.

On my list would be the Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy S4, HTC One, Lumina 920 and possible the new Blackberry.

Any recommendations on any of these? Any recommended places to buy sim free?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Personally i'd go for a windows phone, i love the OS after using it for a while.

If i was getting android i'd get a Nexus 4, very good value and a google phone so you are guaranteed upgrades plus none of the crap HTC or Samsung put on the phone.

If i wasn't getting a Nexus 4 then i'd go for the HTC one, mainly because i don't like samsung.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I really like the look of the HTC One. I love the aluminum finish. Looks classy. I've used Android before. Had the Samsung Nexus. Wasnt a big fan of it

WP8 is a fantastic OS, try a budget model if you want. You'd be surprised how fast the OS is only on low end hardware.

Else get a 820 :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

What's the 920 like? Are the compatible with Macs?

Pretty sure you can just copy paste music onto it (just like android) so compatible with any OS that way. Contacts/Email/Calendar is all done via GMail/Live/Hotmail/Yahoo.

Updating OS is done on the phone itself so that should be ok.

Read some reviews, that should cover most of your questions. However the OS is very very fast, much faster than Android and better than iOS. If you can get over the lack of apps, you'll appreciate the speed.

• Advertisement

Apps wise oder than the usual I'm not looking for much else. THe main ones I juse are facebook, strava, rte, bbe, angry birds etc etc.

There are a few weather travel apps I like using. Not sure if they are available. Would need to check what OSs they work on.

Advertisement