Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting rooms, advice needed - new homeowner

Options
  • 25-04-2013 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Basically, i'm just looking for some advice on renting out a bedroom or two in my house.

I bought two years ago and now i feel as though i could make some extra cash every year if i rent out a room or two in my 4 bed room house.

I'm in a pretty central location which is close to all amenities and the house is newly furnished! I've only placed an advert on Daft.ie yesterday and i've already had a handful of enquiries.

I would appreciate some advice with regards questions that i should ask potential tenants?

I am new to this so i wouldn't even know where to begin with regards taking deposits, rent books etc. I would like to have some basic rules in place, as it is my house and i wouldn't want tenants to take any advantage of it.

Any advice at all would be very much welcomed.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

1. Always insist on deposit.
    2. Don't hand over the key until you get the deposit and the months rent in advance.
    3. Decide whether or not you accept rent allowance. I don't as I want someone who be in a better position to pay bills and I don' want to subsidise someone else's bills if they are in the house all day.
    4. Do a walk through your house, if there is something that has great sentimental or monetary value and is in a common area then remove/replace it. With the best will in the world, accidents can and do happen
    5. In a similar vein if you have expensive delph or cookware, then you have to realise that you will have tenants that may e.g. happily attack your lovely non-stick pan with a brillo pad etc. This is not out of badness but it could happen so you need to figure out your deal breakers.
    6. If you have a girlfriend/boyfriend then I find it easier to let the potential tenant know that if they are staying over on a regular basis. However, that's up to you.
    7. Similarily you need to have boundaries for how often a girlfriend/boyfriend can stay over.
    8. Similar for guests.
    9. You need to let them know what bills you will be splittling. E.g. gas / electricity/ tv. and what ones you pay for yourself e.g. bins / wifi.
    10. I find the best system for toilet paper, cleaning products is a kitty system where, if you buy something, you circle the item and put it in the kitty system and then you regularly figure sum it, split it and figure out who owes what.
    11. Notice period - you would be surprised at the cheeky few who go "oh, since you are owner-occupier, I thought I only needed to give a week's notice". Tell them its the same as the rental period.
    12. If you don't like the person or it isn't work out, then give them notice and have them move out.
    13. If you want good tenants then be prepared to invest a bit of money in storage in the room and in the house.
    14. Figure out what your deal breakes are and let people know before they move in
    e.g. boyfriend/girlfriend there every waking hour
    e.g. not lifting a finger aruond the hosue
    e.g. leaving doors and windows open when you are not there

This might seem like blindingly obvious stuff but you'd be surprised at how much people take the piss and how clueless people are.

That said, its been overall a positive experience.

And at the end of the day, if something upsets you, you need to figure out if its upsetting you to the amount of the rent.

So, if you felt unsafe, or felt uncomfortable in your own home, or just hated having them there, then no amount of money can make up for that. Give notice and change it.

If however, they've just done something that is irritating but minor then take a deep breath and get on with it. Have a chat with them and come to an agreement if its happening on a regular basis.

At the start I used to ask for references as well, now, I generally don't bother. But its handy at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Snazzy_Chazzy

2. Don't hand over the key until you get the deposit and the months rent in advance.
    3. Decide whether or not you accept rent allowance. I don't as I want someone who be in a better position to pay bills and I don' want to subsidise someone else's bills if they are in the house all day.
    4. Do a walk through your house, if there is something that has great sentimental or monetary value and is in a common area then remove/replace it. With the best will in the world, accidents can and do happen
    5. In a similar vein if you have expensive delph or cookware, then you have to realise that you will have tenants that may e.g. happily attack your lovely non-stick pan with a brillo pad etc. This is not out of badness but it could happen so you need to figure out your deal breakers.
    6. If you have a girlfriend/boyfriend then I find it easier to let the potential tenant know that if they are staying over on a regular basis. However, that's up to you.
    7. Similarily you need to have boundaries for how often a girlfriend/boyfriend can stay over.
    8. Similar for guests.
    9. You need to let them know what bills you will be splittling. E.g. gas / electricity/ tv. and what ones you pay for yourself e.g. bins / wifi.
    10. I find the best system for toilet paper, cleaning products is a kitty system where, if you buy something, you circle the item and put it in the kitty system and then you regularly figure sum it, split it and figure out who owes what.
    11. Notice period - you would be surprised at the cheeky few who go "oh, since you are owner-occupier, I thought I only needed to give a week's notice". Tell them its the same as the rental period.
    12. If you don't like the person or it isn't work out, then give them notice and have them move out.
    13. If you want good tenants then be prepared to invest a bit of money in storage in the room and in the house.
    14. Figure out what your deal breakes are and let people know before they move in
    e.g. boyfriend/girlfriend there every waking hour
    e.g. not lifting a finger aruond the hosue
    e.g. leaving doors and windows open when you are not there

This might seem like blindingly obvious stuff but you'd be surprised at how much people take the piss and how clueless people are.

That said, its been overall a positive experience.

And at the end of the day, if something upsets you, you need to figure out if its upsetting you to the amount of the rent.

So, if you felt unsafe, or felt uncomfortable in your own home, or just hated having them there, then no amount of money can make up for that. Give notice and change it.

If however, they've just done something that is irritating but minor then take a deep breath and get on with it. Have a chat with them and come to an agreement if its happening on a regular basis.

At the start I used to ask for references as well, now, I generally don't bother. But its handy at the start.

Excellent Advice, If you go by the above you wont go far wrong :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Have a stone cold heart, as you'll be told every sob story possible, and if you let one in without the deposit and a months rent, best of luck ever getting it.
    If you do decide to accept RA, still demand rent and deposit up front.
    8. Similar for guests.
    You may think it'll be nice for them to have friends over, but if when their other half is staying over for half the week using your stuff, your shower, you'll get sick of it pretty quickly; best set down the rules before they move in.
    Give them rules, but not a lease, as it'll be harder to get rid of them if they have a lease.
    Check if they've ever rented before. If you're they're first rent, you may get someone with the stupids, and expect you to clean up after them, wash up, etc, as their mammy did.
    Although you'll be able to get a feel for them after a while, get references for the first few, to avoid horrible mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ElecKtrA

Thanks guys! Great advice! Really appreciate it :)

I've some viewing appointments arranged for next week so hopefully i'm equipped with enough questions to ''fire'' at them :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Give them rules, but not a lease, as it'll be harder to get rid of them if they have a lease.
    It's an owner occupier so there can't be a lease - it must be a licence agreement for lodgers/licensees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 howayahorse

Some good advice given here. However I come from the other side of the coin, in that I am currently looking for a room in a share house and I actually avoid owner occupied places due to previous experiences - not bad experiences, just "not great" experiences so I thought I should share my POV if you're soon to be a live-in landlord. I've always been tidy, respectful, paid rent/bills on time etc. etc. but I have found in the past in some owner occupied houses that the owner sometimes forgets that the tenants pay rent and are not just guests/mortgage contributors. Not really sure how to explain but just stuff like butting in because they'd planned to their washing when you were already about to switch the machine on with your own stuff; not taking problems too seriously like necessary repairs/appliance replacements etc. (sometimes you will make do with things in your own home that you wouldn't if you were renting at market rates); happy to have late night parties with their own friends/guests when they would not accept the same from you.

I'm not assuming you would be like this or suggesting that tenants should be allowed rule the roost....just a few things to consider that will make for a happier environment and build a good relationship with your future tenants. Best of luck with whoever you choose...it's not all about references and ccntracts, you want to be compatible with the people you choose to share your home with :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Some good advice given here. However I come from the other side of the coin, in that I am currently looking for a room in a share house and I actually avoid owner occupied places due to previous experiences - not bad experiences, just "not great" experiences so I thought I should share my POV if you're soon to be a live-in landlord. I've always been tidy, respectful, paid rent/bills on time etc. etc. but I have found in the past in some owner occupied houses that the owner sometimes forgets that the tenants pay rent and are not just guests/mortgage contributors. Not really sure how to explain but just stuff like butting in because they'd planned to their washing when you were already about to switch the machine on with your own stuff; not taking problems too seriously like necessary repairs/appliance replacements etc. (sometimes you will make do with things in your own home that you wouldn't if you were renting at market rates); happy to have late night parties with their own friends/guests when they would not accept the same from you.

I'm not assuming you would be like this or suggesting that tenants should be allowed rule the roost....just a few things to consider that will make for a happier environment and build a good relationship with your future tenants. Best of luck with whoever you choose...it's not all about references and ccntracts, you want to be compatible with the people you choose to share your home with :)
    And many questions either landlord or lodger has should be in relation to this aspect.

I am a lodger and wouldn't have it any other way - except a place of my own which I can't afford.

I feel I get a better deal as a lodger than I would being a tenant in a house share. Cheaper, house is immaculate, landlord no problems, house rules no problem. And I didn't have to provide references. and landlord must be over 30 years younger than me!

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭CdeC

Advice from a tenant,

Lay down the ground rules early and stick to it.

Remember it's their home too and they will need to feel comfortable and be given certain freedoms (eg: entertain friends, have people stay the night)

Try and organise a dinner twice a month where you take turns to cook and chat and watch a movie or something like that, if they're into it. It's much easier to forgive little indiscretions when you are friends with someone and there is good communiaction.

If it's not working out tell them and move on, better off in the long run and you'll find someone you get on with.

You have to make compromises as well so don;t live by "my house, my rules". It'll only end badly.

If during the interview you have any doubts say no and keep looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Lyn256

I had lodgers for a few years pre-marriage and kids and I would second some of the advice that you have received above.
    I have to say that I much preferred sharing with males than females (I'm female)-less histronics and easier to have around. Crap at cleaning but no-one's perfect. I also chose people very different to me, the best lodgers for me were guys who worked in IT. If I was had lodgers again, the only thing that I'd do differently would be to have a cleaner and split the cost!
    I'm not sure about the friend thing-I was never more than a 'surface' friend to my lodgers, more like colleagues but polite and respectful of each other.

Thanks for your post. It's good to hear what the other person ''tenant'' opinion is.

I don't think i will be asking for references! I'll just have to base it on my instincts! Hopefully, i'll get someone who is respectful and clean and hopefully goes home at the weekends ;) :P

• Advertisement

Lyn256 wrote: »
    I had lodgers for a few years pre-marriage and kids and I would second some of the advice that you have received above.
    I have to say that I much preferred sharing with males than females (I'm female)-less histronics and easier to have around. Crap at cleaning but no-one's perfect. I also chose people very different to me, the best lodgers for me were guys who worked in IT. If I was had lodgers again, the only thing that I'd do differently would be to have a cleaner and split the cost!
    I'm not sure about the friend thing-I was never more than a 'surface' friend to my lodgers, more like colleagues but polite and respectful of each other.

Cheers for your post. I was thinking the same...i would ideally like to get a guy in (as i think they would cause less issues! especially when it comes to my floorboards, i don't want to be pedantic but after spalshing out on floor boards i would hate for them to be destroyed with stilettos!)...but so far i've only got calls from girls so i beginning to think guys don't want to move into owner-occupied houses! :rolleyes:

ElecKtrA wrote: »
    Cheers for your post. I was thinking the same...i would ideally like to get a guy in (as i think they would cause less issues! especially when it comes to my floorboards, i don't want to be pedantic but after spalshing out on floor boards i would hate for them to be destroyed with stilettos!)...but so far i've only got calls from girls so i beginning to think guys don't want to move into owner-occupied houses! :rolleyes:

Ok, this is a classic mistake. Stuff like stilettos on floors - you're not going to be able to control that. You can ask people to mind the floors and only wear flats but to be honest, you'll sound like a house Nazi. Short of camping by the front door, you won't be able to control this. This is something you are going to have to suck up.

If you are going to be upset by this, I wouldn't rent a room. Now I'm not saying you have to be unrealistic and accept massive scratches or damage to the floor but you will get wear and tear on the floor and you probably will get stiletto marks.

Also, to be honest, I know that its good to hear other's point of view, but I think when I started renting rooms that I actually went too far to suit my tenants. At the end of the day, you've got to be happy there, its your home. So be reasonable but suit yourself! (floors excepted! ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

ElecKtrA wrote: »
    Thanks for your post. It's good to hear what the other person ''tenant'' opinion is.

I don't think i will be asking for references! I'll just have to base it on my instincts! Hopefully, i'll get someone who is respectful and clean and hopefully goes home at the weekends ;) :P

After you have had a good chat with them and found out how they like to live: cleanliness, living habits, their expectations etc. to see if it matches yours, make sure you mention space: allowing room for everyone to do their own thing from time to time. If someone wants to cook a meal for a girlfriend and have a quiet night in, then the other house mates should give that person space. It really is common sense but you would be amazed at how some people have no sense of cop-on and lack basic etiquette when it comes to house shares.

I have lived in a few house shares and by and large, I think they're great.. really works if everyone has a life, are out and about, weekends away, so when you do have time for a cup of tea and a natter, you're interested in what they have to say, what they think, where they've travelled to etc. I have met some interesting people over the years and have had good craic/ banter.. when house shares are good, they're great!

However, the worse for me is when I shared a house with 4 others and there was one girl who drove me bonkers - I left the house because of her. She was a nice enough girl on the face of it but she was always there: the last to leave the house for work in the morning and the first one in - she was there every weekend and she never gave anyone any space, constantly talking at you about every little thing.. towards the end of my time in that house, I couldn't get over her selfishness because she never gave anyone any space and never allowed anyone time to be in the house without her in the middle of it.

My point here is asking prospective renters about the whole space thing, and what they think about it.. and be aware they are some social nutters out there who can drive you to distraction.. might be worth you telling people that you will review their rental in the house after 6 weeks just to make sure it's working for them and you, and that they suit the house share.

Good luck! Choose well and you'll really enjoy it.

Mr W makes a really good point. There are people who literally have no life. They will ALWAYS be there.

They will never go out at weekends, they will sit in front of the tv every night, they normally are a bit lazy so do sod all around the house (though this is a generalisation) and they will slowly drive you crazy! As they are ALWAYS there.

I don't think its something you can really bring up when you are screening people. All you can do is try and eek out details as to how active they are, will they go home a lot etc.

Similarly, when specifying about boyfriends/girlfriends staying - someone could have a boyfriend/girlfriend over just one ngiht a week, but if it is ALWAYS a weekend night, then it means that you never get the house to yourself any weekend. It can get a bit wearysome after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

I don't think its something you can really bring up when you are screening people. All you can do is try and eek out details as to how active they are, will they go home a lot etc.

Similarly, when specifying about boyfriends/girlfriends staying - someone could have a boyfriend/girlfriend over just one ngiht a week, but if it is ALWAYS a weekend night, then it means that you never get the house to yourself any weekend. It can get a bit wearysome after a while.

I agree it is difficult to bring up when interviewing people for a house share but.. surely if you have 3 people in a house share it would be logical to have weekends per month where each renter gets the place to themselves whilst the others make themselves scarce.. if you can't do a whole weekend then a Saturday: day and evening would suffice.. keeping weekend dates booked into a communal calendar. If this were mentioned while interviewing people, it might hopefully scare away the no-lifers as they'll hate the sound of the expectation that they have to get out the door and get a life.

On another note, beware that some couch potatoes love telling you over and over that they have a life (all the things they have done/seen, telling you about their friends but eventually you realise that they or you never see these so-called friends) so they're often hard to spot until you start living with them. That is why an agreed 6 week settling in period is good so you get to know them better..

Advertisement