Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waiting for www.

Options
  • 25-04-2013 12:05pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,426 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Having an issue here with a Windows 7 system not opening websites, or, somewhat poorly at the moment, but mostly not at all because it just throws up 'waiting for www.google.ie', etc. No luck in IE, Firefox or Chrome. I've run a few scans - MSE, Malwarebytes Pro, but they haven't found anything. Cleared the cookies, etc, too. Internet connection seems OK in the system tray/network settings.

Not sure what else to try. Reinstall the adapter's drivers? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It might be the router, restart it, see how the connection is on another PC/laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭RodgersLFC

Run CCleaner as well. Its a useful tool. Do you have the same issue on other computers or just the one system?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

what sort of response time do you get with a dns query?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,426 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Yeah, I ran CCleaner earlier. I think it's just dropping the wireless signal, or something. A yellow warning exclamation mark sometimes comes up in the system tray on the wireless indicator thing. Sometimes it's fine for a few minutes, but it's generally not been reliable for the past while. It's my Dad's PC, so I need to figure it out ASAP. I've an Linksys adapter lying around. I wonder if the position in the house is an issue.

Did you get the router for free of a broadband supplier? I had something similar with a vodafone router and the thing was just fried, possibly verging on being a fire hazard. If you can replace the router, try that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,426 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Yeah, it's just an Eircom Netopia yolk.

router.gif

I think there's a spare, unused one of the same model, so I could try that, though why do other devices in the house work OK? Maybe it's time to ask Eircom if they've anything better. What did you replace your Vodafone one with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

devices in the house work OK?
    that would indicate its the pc.

What you could try and do is..first make sure the wireless adaptor driver is up to date.Then remove all wireless connections off it and reconnect as if its the first time setting it up.

If you're still having problems(and all other pcs are grand) log into the modem and turn wireless security off and then see if the wireless is still acting up.If its fine with no security,try changing the password.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭RodgersLFC

Its a long shot, but you could also try changing the channel on the router, along with the stuff in the post above.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

call into eircom if your an eircom customer with a silver or blue eircom netopia

they will give you a new modem with better wifi range for free without having to renew your contract. this offer expires at the end of may though

the new modem is a zyxel d1000 modem

wireless N @ 300mbps - i got one and it is pretty good

Yeah, it's just an Eircom Netopia yolk.
    I have a defunct one of those in a drawer here. Maybe you'll get more support from Eircom but Vodafone wouldn't send me a replacement, they wanted me to pay for it and it's pointless buying one of the providers routers, you'll get much better for the same price online.

I got a spare one from work.

If other PCs are working ok then it's probably with the PC in question.

• Advertisement
Advertisement