Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crab trapping??

Options
  • 25-04-2013 12:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭

Was looking at a few homemade crab vids on youtube and it got me thinking of making one to drop whilst fishing from rocks.
    Just wondering what the legalities are on this?
    I would be only after a couple for bait, but i've always wanted to try crab to eat and was wondering would you catch any edible crabs this way?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jkchambers

I dont think that there is any thing illegal about using nets etc to catch crab for bait or for the table

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

EireIceMan wrote: »
    Was looking at a few homemade crab vids on youtube and it got me thinking of making one to drop whilst fishing from rocks.
    Just wondering what the legalities are on this?
    I would be only after a couple for bait, but i've always wanted to try crab to eat and was wondering would you catch any edible crabs this way?
    Thanks

I am certain anyone can put out a few pots but once you go over four you need a license.... I stand to be corrected on the number..... Crabs are lovely to eat, especially brown crabs.... Spider crabs are not as nice but are also edible... As for using them for bait they are no good, you need to be using peelers for that... Hard backs are ok for wrasse etc.... Salt your bait befor you put them into your pot is a little trick....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭EireIceMan

Thanks lads.
    Just thought it would be interesting to drop one down off the rocks whilst fishing to see what id pull up. Seen lots of videos on youtube about how to make them. Seems simple enough.
    Theres also vids of them underwater.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

EireIceMan wrote: »
    Thanks lads.
    Just thought it would be interesting to drop one down off the rocks whilst fishing to see what id pull up. Seen lots of videos on youtube about how to make them. Seems simple enough.
    Theres also vids of them underwater.

I think the kind of crab traps you're talking about are perfectly legal. You'll catch shore crabs and possible swimmer and hermit crabs, but doubt very much you will get the edible crab, which is the main species eaten in this country, they tend to be caught in deeper water.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

In Brandon in Kerry you can get brown crab by rod and line..... Lol but it is deeper water there....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭EireIceMan

Ok, so id be very lucky to get the edible common crab:( Is there any that arnt edible or are they just not tasty?
    Anyway be interesting to see if the trap works, and to show the daughter the crabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I used to catch all sorts of crabs using the bags you'd put washing tablets in tied to a length of line and fill it with limpets and throw it into a rock pool or off edge of pier or wall and lift it slowly out of water each time should have least 2 or 3 crabs on it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

You dont need deep water for the edible crab. When i was younger we used to holiday in my grannys house in east cork. My dad had been going there 30 years and knew the place like the back of his hand. He used to bring us down to the rocks under the house and put his hand into deep holes in the rock pools and pull out large edible crabs. He used to put elastic bands on the claws for us and wed bring them to the local pub and swap them for a glass of orange and a few games of pool. Happy days.
    The crab will always crawl into the hole claws first so when he put his hand in to grab it the crab wouldnt be able to pinch him. Look for a few rocks pools at low water and try in the holes yourself. They need to be at least about 2 foot deep.

Advertisement