Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which .22?

Options
  • 25-04-2013 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I'm looking to buy a .22lr mainly for rabbits and perhaps the odd fox.

The Girlfriend will also be using the gun for the bunnies at ther homeplace which complicates things a little.

Herself shoots left handed and I'm normal (joke!) so the gun needs to be ambidextrous. Are most rifle stocks good for both sides?

She prefers to use semi autos but my worry is the noise produced by the action if there is a silencer fitted, is this an issue?

There are a few cz452's about which seem to be good value for the money, I'll be looking to fit it with a 3-9x40 I suppose but is this a big enough lens to use with a lamp?

Thanks for any replies.

Regards

Bw

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Most rifles stocks are not canted AFAIK. Unlike shotguns. So most rifles will suit ye both, it's really just a matter of the action.

If she is left handed, and you right handed then you need to decide which to go for in a bolt action. A semi auto might be a better choice as it does not require either of you to "make do" with an action that is not suited to you.

The noise of an action from a semi auto is minimal. I've shot with, and heard semi auto's with mods on being fired, and there is a subtle "click" each time the action is cycled, but not enough to cause any problems.

As for scopes. 3-9 is enough, but you can go for more if you like. As for the 40mm objective lens. Considering the effective range of a .22 is about 100 yards it will be fine under a light. Obviously more ca be better, but it may be more down to the magnification power you use than the objective lens. The more you zoom, the narrow your field of view, the less light gets let in. That's why a scope looks brighter on lower power than higher.

The best thing to do is look at semi autos compared to bolt action. Both of ye try out a few, and see if there are any issues you simply cannot live with when it comes to one or the other.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

I've never fired a semi auto .22 but would the case being ejected across the shooters face be a problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

No, I am left handed and fired a few different semi autos and you don't even notice them.

It's a catch 22 (no pun intended).

Bolt action means someone is going to be working wrong handed. Semi auto means someone will have the cases being ejected across their face.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭lefthooker

How about a lever action, something like a Henry GoldenBoy or Browning BL 22? Stock is ambidextrous and so is the cocking lever. Shoot open sights or with a scope.

• Advertisement

Like a semi auto does it not eject from one side? That's why i was saying semi auto. No manual cycling at all.

I would go with a 10/22 or something along those lines if shooting left handed offhand with a bolt on the right it can be a pain to cycle the action quickly for a follow up shot etc.. She really won't even notice the case at all and it means you can both shoot offhand or prone without any bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

Just be careful you don't turn like the gallery lads when it starts jamming. You'll only be left with a ruger serial number :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭lefthooker

Cass wrote: »
    Like a semi auto does it not eject from one side? That's why i was saying semi auto. No manual cycling at all.

Most L/A's have a right side ejection port but since you won't be firing at the rate of a S/A spent cartridges aren't an issue. And no one will have to cock it wrong handed.

Love my Savage but I also dream of getting an L/A

I get ya, but if you are going to have spent cases going past your face at any rate i'd personally choose something where you didn't have to worry about manual cycling.

Just my opinion. Not knocking the lever action.

• Advertisement

Shooting a lever action prone can be a pain in the bum too (I have a winchester 94)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

I have used lever action before and they're not really my thing, as has been mentioned, shooting prone is a bit fiddly.

I might take her up to Courtlough over the next couple of weeks if they have something in stock and see what she thinks.

She's fired a semi auto left handed and didn't have an issue with it so that's probably the way to go.

Thanks

Bw

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Using a 10/22 in gallery rifle competition shooting some details require shooting standing off the left shoulder.. I've never had any problem about empty's ejecting. In fact until this thread came up I never even thought about it.

So bottom line is the 10/22 will fit your needs very well. I've seen people cycling the action with both left and right hands even the right hand people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

If you plan on shooting off a bi-pod of shooting sticks or some sort of rest a left handed person will be able to cycle the bolt quicker and easier than a right handed person on a r/h gun without taking their hand off the trigger. Its only a rimfire so most of the time with a decent rest your right hand will be free to cycle the bolt straight after you take a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

clivej wrote: »
    Using a 10/22 in gallery rifle competition shooting some details require shooting standing off the left shoulder.. I've never had any problem about empty's ejecting. In fact until this thread came up I never even thought about it.

So bottom line is the 10/22 will fit your needs very well. I've seen people cycling the action with both left and right hands even the right hand people.

The 10/22, is that the Ruger semi auto? How does it compare in price to the CZ452?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

Unless you shoot with both eyes open (unlikely with the scope) you will never see the ejected shell from a semi auto. My first rifle was a little Winchester .22 LR with a tube magazine under the barrel, great little gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

Firing semi autos since I began to shoot and i'm a lefty. No problem at all. If you want to feel safer than just wear shooting glasses

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    The 10/22, is that the Ruger semi auto?
    Yes.
    How does it compare in price to the CZ452?
    Little less to the same in price. Depending on model.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 SShea92

What about a straight pull action like the browning t bolt. It would be easier than the standard bolt action for a lefty

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

Im a lefty and I only shoot RH guns..

In fact getting a LH gun would feel weird to me at this stage..

It has its advantages thou.. I often wonder do RH shooters pick up LH guns for chape and get a bargain.

I have a 452 too.. After I send a round free hand I put my finger under the mag cycle the bolt and away off..

I think you are reading into the situation too much.

I had a 10/22 for 4 months when I was living in Colorado and much prefer the 452.

Each to their own.

'hdz

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

For vermin and general merriment, I would go with the Ruger 10/22. Lot's of plinking fun and fast follow up shots.

buy the one you want, and when she complains tell her there all like that

Advertisement