Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Solutions to scumbags?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

cessation of 'concurrent sentences', and the introduction of sentence multipliers for repeat offenders

and perhaps consider harvesting kidneys or other organs for those with more then 50, so they contribute something to society

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

I'm sure nobody would turn to crime to make a living if they had their dole cut.

Are you suggesting scumbags are living on €188 per week at the moment? They're already committing crime to supplement their income.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

What about a Hunger Games kinda thing as well? Those proven to be complete scumbags and nothing but a drain on society have to fight to the death for their dole cheque?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

At least you wouldn't be rewarding them with gratuitous amounts of social welfare payments.

The biggest single cost most families have is their mortgage or rent.

No guaranteed house for unemployed single mothers.

No choice in houses. If a house comes up in an area that fits your needs, you're taking it or you're off the list.

If you damage a house, you're off the list

Phasing out social housing will certainly help. But its not something that can be done immediately. When they have to start stumping up for their own housing that will make them think.

Plus the government and local government can start selling off those houses to families who want to buy them and set up a home.

Work for your dole. 30 hours a week cleaning parks, picking up rubbish off the street, repainting walls covered in graffiti, clearing clogged up drains, etc. Its essentially hands on back breaking work that needs to be done.

No work, no dole.

Make the dole so unattractive that people will do anything not be on it. Less than minimum wage and no perks. So even a minimum wage job is a big step up the ladder money wise

Phase out children's allowance. Yes its nice to have but it also encourages certain individuals to have more kids.

The introduction of all of these things will also free up money to be put into education, training and giving those who want to work a chance at re skilling, getting a job and getting on with life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Its too late to change this generation of scumbag. Its been handed down from their cousin fathers and auntie mothers like a hereditary plague. Someone should be working on how to get them to stop having 10 kids each though. That would help future generations alot more than cutting their dole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Phoenix wrote: »
    relocate every scumbag in Ireland to Portlaoise.that'll learn em :pac:

Too late. And not just in the prison.

Phoenix wrote: »
    relocate every scumbag in Ireland to Portlaoise.that'll learn em :pac:

Didnt they already try that? Its how we ended up with portlaoise in the first place i thought?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

People are free to have children if they want to in this country, with no fine on top of that. It's a great place we live. All we can do is try to give "scumbag" kids early intervention and education.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

Chucken wrote: »
    OP? Could you not keep all your Limerick bashing to one thread?

Thinly veiled stop bashing my county can I be a mod thread. :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

**Vai** wrote: »
    Its too late to change this generation of scumbag. Its been handed down from their cousin fathers and auntie mothers like a hereditary plague. Someone should be working on how to get them to stop having 10 kids each though. That would help future generations alot more than cutting their dole.

Further, my issue is the misery and fear they cause to other decent hard working people. Moyross is close promimity to a affluent area re; Caherdavin/Ennis Road.....so they go out out Moyross and create havoc in these areas.

They have no fear of the guards or courts, none....they dont care about anyones property or peace of mind. they have no self respect, dont care about anyone but themselves.....you cant talk or reason with them, their first reaction is to threaten or assult you.

They breed like rabbits, on purpose....for more benefits and housing. No empathy, conscience...nothing.......:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

Maybe we could copy the Dutch and house anti social people in shipping containers.
    and drop the containers somewhere out in the Atlantic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

Need to give them jobs really, otherwise they can only turn towards the black market and criminality; give them an opportunity for a productive place in society, or watch the place get worse.

Further, my issue is the misery and fear they cause to other decent hard working people. Moyross is close promimity to a affluent area re; Caherdavin/Ennis Road.....so they go out out Moyross and create havoc in these areas.

They have no fear of the guards or courts, none....they dont care about anyones property or peace of mind. they have no self respect, dont care about anyone but themselves.....you cant talk or reason with them, their first reaction is to threaten or assult you.

They breed like rabbits, on purpose....for more benefits and housing. No empathy, conscience...nothing.......:(

Couldnt agree more. No fear of authority, no conscience, just scum.

People are free to have children if they want to in this country, with no fine on top of that. It's a great place we live. All we can do is try to give "scumbag" kids early intervention and education.

To quote a line from a Prince song....children only imitate their atmosphere, how true. They grow up like this, i bet if you took a girl scumbags child and put it with a good family it would turn out fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭BGozIE

Need to give them jobs really, otherwise they can only turn towards the black market and criminality; give them an opportunity for a productive place in society, or watch the place get worse.

Not a very realistic scenario given the current climate.

I also disagree with it, why should some arsehole be given a job while other decent people have to work hard and apply themselves to get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Gymsey

What we need to do is develop a relationship with another country, say Brazil! If a person gets a second prison term within 2yrs of being released they dont go back to all their friends in an Irish prison, they go to a Brazilian prison. That would definitley stop repeat offenders, defiinitely the ones starting off on a wrong path anyway.
    We'd probably have to take a few Brazilians ourselves but what harm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

BGozIE wrote: »

I also disagree with it, why should some arsehole be given a job while other decent people have to work hard and apply themselves to get one.
    Nothing comes from nothing.
    If you can wipe your ass you can get out and look for a job. People still coming in from the armpit of various states;no spoken English and they don't look Irish and are illegal, yet they manage to get work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

I'm not from Limerick, thank god, it sounds like an awful place :p

Its a beautiful city, the vast majority are good people. but there is that sub culture of scumbaggery that ruins it for everyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

We need an Irish version of Jeremy Kyle.

BGozIE wrote: »

It's the only way to solve the problem, because otherwise they are going to turn to criminal activity.
    I don't think just these antisocial types should be given jobs, I think the overall jobs situation needs to be solved, for everyone.

Its a beautiful city, the vast majority are good people. but there is that sub culture of scumbaggery that ruins it for everyone else.

Same as everywhere really. Limerick has just been in the media more because of the organised gang nature of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Arcsin

Anyone wrote: »
    We need an Irish version of Jeremy Kyle.

Today on Jimmy Kelly:

"DNA results: which of these 15 men is the father?"

and

"He's a wife beating junkie serial cheat just out of prison but he says he's changed."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

OP? Could you not keep all your Limerick bashing to one thread?

Thank you for that Chucken. So you want to be a mod then. ;) Not being from Limerick should get you brownie points in that direction unless the powers that be use positive discrimination bias.

Have been to Limerick city on numerous occasions and have not encountered any anti social behaviour. But the next time I go there I'll throw a fist of coins into my silencer box and drive around O Malley Park with vidcam cocked out the window :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Have a referendum with a few of the better solutions from this thread. Let the people decide.
    I personally like the hard labour route, with a cut in dole for every offence before and after the hard labour. 6 months breaking big rocks into smaller rocks with a sledge sounds like something i wouldn't like doing. Combine this with a few of the better solutions here like cutting social housing for offenders and maybe throw in a few rule changes that allow armed guards police the ****ers where they live if they mess up more than once. Then sterlise them and put them in a compound doing a lifetime of menial work.

It might, just might work. They are useless to society.
    Completely useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

has nobody seen the lineup for oxegen?
    The easiest soultion would be to nuke punchestown on the August Bank Holdiay weekend. That will take out thousands of them.

retalivity wrote: »
    has nobody seen the lineup for oxegen?
    The easiest soultion would be to nuke punchestown on the August Bank Holdiay weekend. That will take out thousands of them.

I like a tactical nuclear strike as much as the next man but I think we need something more subtle.

I'd go with poisoned yokes, we may not even have to kill them just put something in the Es that would sterilise them. The problem would quietly take care of itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Reopen Spike Island and begin to use other currently uninhabited island as "homes" for these guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

I am trying to set up a community alert area where I live but I am finding it hard to get support .
    Even from the Garda.
    Everyone likes to give out about crime but no one want to get off their backsides and do anything about it.
    Im sick of it. To the point where I patrol the the community on my own at night looking out for these little ****s in tracksuits.
    In fact there are 3 little scum bags in jail from a robbery I reported last weekend. Caught rapid they were. Garda where on it very quickly and nabbed them all in the victims home. LOL. I was very happy indeed.

OP. I suggest to approach your neighbors and go to the Garda together as a group. If everyone was aware of the level of crime in the area and simply kept an eye out for eachother then Im sure there would be a reduction in the crime in your area. This is a fairly serious issue and affects us all , even in our insurances premiums.

As I said, getting peeps of their arses to help is the real challenge .

• Advertisement

brokenarms wrote: »
    I am trying to set up a community alert area where I live but I am finding it hard to get support .
    Even from the Garda.
    Everyone likes to give out about crime but no one want to get off their backsides and do anything about it.
    Im sick of it. To the point where I patrol the the community on my own at night looking out for these little ****s in tracksuits.
    In fact there are 3 little scum bags in jail from a robbery I reported last weekend. Caught rapid they were. Garda where on it very quickly and nabbed them all in the victims home. LOL. I was very happy indeed.

OP. I suggest to approach your neighbors and go to the Garda together as a group. If everyone was aware of the level of crime in the area and simply kept an eye out for eachother then Im sure there would be a reduction in the crime in your area. This is a fairly serious issue and affects us all , even in our insurances premiums.

As I said, getting peeps of their arses to help is the real challenge .

To be serious for a minute, there is fcuk all point being "serious" about crime when you don't get the support of the legal system/judiciary in dealing with this kind of thing.
    There are far too many bleeding heart types in this country (generally who life nowhere near areas these scumbags menace) whose PC policies ensure that the legal system can almost never lock these guys up and throw away the key. Indeed many say these lads come from disadvantaged areas, fcuk that, these guys get more money thrown at them than almost any sector of society and if I'm being honest a lot of us came from "disadvantaged" areas but didnt cause menace to where we lived.

People feel that if they get up their arses to do what you suggest, they will become a bigger "target" and without serious jail terms or punishments for those involved, they have absolutely no disincentive to change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

So we've had suggestions of sterilisation, Jeremy Kyle, starvation rations, nuclear death, GULAG labour, conscription, concentration camps, deportation and mass murder. To touch on but a few. All to address a rather nebulous segment of work-shy scumbags that no one can quantify.

I really don't think that the big problem here is a few kids in tracksuits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Let's do some long division:

Take the entire funding figure for the Limerick Regeneration Project since its inception under the FF govt.

Divide it by the number of ruffians tormenting the decent populace of the 'regeneration' areas.

The resulting answer should provide you with enough cash per person to allow each scumbag to become a permanent space tourist for the rest of their little tracksuit-wearing lives, with sufficient dosh remaining to buy each decent citizen of Limerick a free Munster Rugby scarf and 6" mirror telescope so they could watch the satellite craft orbit on those warm summer nights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Reekwind wrote: »
    So we've had suggestions of sterilisation, Jeremy Kyle, starvation rations, nuclear death, GULAG labour, conscription, concentration camps, deportation and mass murder. To touch on but a few. All to address a rather nebulous segment of work-shy scumbags that no one can quantify.

I really don't think that the big problem here is a few kids in tracksuits

Your a bit of a fun sponge arent you?

VinLieger wrote: »
    Your a bit of a fun sponge arent you?
    It's "you're"

Reekwind wrote: »
    It's "you're"

Pedantic too, a man of many talents.

Arcsin wrote: »
    Pedantic too, a man of many talents.
    And yet someone accuses me of not having a sense of humour? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The solution is three fold.

1. Anti social or criminal behavior must result in a reduction of social welfare payments and benefits. The social contract which entitles citizens to such payments from the state MUST be squared with the citizen's responsibility to act in a socially responsible manner. The idea that the state should essentially pay protection money to people in the form of social welfare in order that they not commit crime is morally bankrupt. The present situation, were there are apparently no consequences for anti social behavior, has lead to the proliferation of the unworking dole lifestyle choice.

2. Mandatory education and training for the long term unemployed, with particular emphasis on those who have never worked. Again, failure to engage with the system must lead to loss in social welfare privileges.

3. The courts. The situation where an individual can accumulate 10s or 100s of convictions should not exist. Build more prisons if necessary but if steps 1 and 2 above are implemented this should not be needed.

We, the tax payers, are bank rolling these people yet there is no onus on them to contribute anything or even to behave in a reasonable manner. This is wrong in every conceivable way and must be stopped. The entitlement culture was allowed to grow with ideas such as personal/ social responsibility, common decency and self respect being seen as old fashioned and obsolete. Look where it has brought us. Take take take. Me me me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

the hse should offer a free vasectomy to all males on the dole with a history of anti-social behaviors

The solution is three fold.

1. Anti social or criminal behavior must result in a reduction of social welfare payments and benefits. The social contract which entitles citizens to such payments from the state MUST be squared with the citizen's responsibility to act in a socially responsible manner. The idea that the state should essentially pay protection money to people in the form of social welfare in order that they not commit crime is morally bankrupt. The present situation, were there are apparently no consequences for anti social behavior, has lead to the proliferation of the unworking dole lifestyle choice.

2. Mandatory education and training for the long term unemployed, with particular emphasis on those who have never worked. Again, failure to engage with the system must lead to loss in social welfare privileges.

3. The courts. The situation where an individual can accumulate 10s or 100s of convictions should not exist. Build more prisons if necessary but if steps 1 and 2 above are implemented this should not be needed.

We, the tax payers, are bank rolling these people yet there is no onus on them to contribute anything or even to behave in a reasonable manner. This is wrong in every conceivable way and must be stopped. The entitlement culture was allowed to grow with ideas such as personal/ social responsibility, common decency and self respect being seen as old fashioned and obsolete. Look where it has brought us. Take take take. Me me me.
    Watch the "bleeding hearts" brigade shoot the first one down.
    Totally agree with you however.

Again; Jobs. Give them jobs.

You can't fix a societal problem being caused by a lack of jobs, by engaging in excessive punitive measures (which also happen to have a lot of collateral damage on innocent people, which makes it a form of collective punishment); the root problem of jobs still exists, so excessive punitive measures just make it harder to reintegrate the people into society, and they become hard-set criminals that will persist long past the crisis.

Jobs are the only real solution to this. How to go about providing that though, is a different matter, which goes hand-in-hand with solving the economic crisis.

Again; Jobs. Give them jobs.

You can't fix a societal problem being caused by a lack of jobs, by engaging in excessive punitive measures (which also happen to have a lot of collateral damage on innocent people, which makes it a form of collective punishment); the root problem of jobs still exists, so excessive punitive measures just make it harder to reintegrate the people into society, and they become hard-set criminals that will persist long past the crisis.

Jobs are the only real solution to this. How to go about providing that though, is a different matter, which goes hand-in-hand with solving the economic crisis.
    You think the root problem and solution is jobs? Really?
    There are plenty areas (rural and otherwise) that have had massive unemployment over the years (80's and now) and you'll see nowhere near the level of thuggery that exists in some city areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

As a fellow Limerick person, I think we need a Batman down there. I dont think robocop on his bike is sorting **** out there. Anyone from Limerick will know who Robocop is

I'm well aware of that..I only live 15 miles from there so its where I shop and sometimes socialise ;)

I pointed out the regeneration of Moyross on your thread yesterday but noone paid any heed. It seems easier to just focus on the negative.
    Thank you for that Chucken. So you want to be a mod then. ;) Not being from Limerick should get you brownie points in that direction unless the powers that be use positive discrimination bias.

Give over will you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Steve O

We should all train in Krav Maga.

If we pay 200000 euro we can become trained killers in just 3 days!!!!1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

kippy wrote: »
    To be serious for a minute, there is fcuk all point being "serious" about crime when you don't get the support of the legal system/judiciary in dealing with this kind of thing.
    There are far too many bleeding heart types in this country (generally who life nowhere near areas these scumbags menace) whose PC policies ensure that the legal system can almost never lock these guys up and throw away the key. Indeed many say these lads come from disadvantaged areas, fcuk that, these guys get more money thrown at them than almost any sector of society and if I'm being honest a lot of us came from "disadvantaged" areas but didnt cause menace to where we lived.

People feel that if they get up their arses to do what you suggest, they will become a bigger "target" and without serious jail terms or punishments for those involved, they have absolutely no disincentive to change.

This is the biggest problem and it is wrong to think this.
    I can't change the law or the courts but I can do my bit.
    I will not become a target by looking out for my neighbours and if these criminals are getting a hard time in an area then they will not come back to it .
    By calling the cops to report a crime you are in 0% danger of being a target unless they know it was you. And even if they do. So what. F them. Why should you lay down to these priC ks.

BY the way Jobs is not the solution. There was plenty of scum bags in the height of the boom when there was very low unemployment.
    IMO that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Steve O wrote: »
    We should all train in Krav Maga.

If we pay 200000 euro we can become trained killers in just 3 days!!!!1

Make people who offend take MMA classes for a while.

Nothing quite so humbling as being punched, kicked and strangled.

allibastor wrote: »
    As a fellow Limerick person, I think we need a Batman down there. I dont think robocop on his bike is sorting **** out there. Anyone from Limerick will know who Robocop is

He's in Thurles now ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭Shelflife

We need them to take responsibility for their actions and stop bailing them out at every opportunity.

I rented a house to a girl and her child, soon afterwards the scumbag bf moved in, I arrived one evening after getting a phone call from the esb that they were going to cut off the power unless the bill was paid.

Scumbag invites me in, fag in one hand can of bud in the other on the computer in the corner and watching sky sports on his huge plasma screen at the same time. He said that he would go down to the social in the morning and they would pay half and he would pay half. if I hadnt seen it with my own eyes I would have said that its just a sterotype situation.

But as long as he is been bailed out by the social welfare office , he will continue doing what he is doing.

The annoying thing is that the bleeding hearts are more concerned about his rights and needs then the people who he makes their life a misery.

• Advertisement
Advertisement