Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

foster kitten

• 25-04-2013 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hi boardies,
    Im fostering a week old kitten - he loves his feed & poops & wees grand but he's very active today! Hes meowing & wandering about - is this ok? I think he's on the skinny side - he's only 100gm's do im worried he should be sleeping more in between feeds - any advice? I don't want to ignore him crying but I don't want him to wear himself out - his next feed is at two The vets im fostering him for are open again at 2 so I'll ring & ask advice too! thanks Em

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

He is probably missing his litter mates and calling out for them and his mammy, have you some sort of a teddy or something you could give him to snuggle into? I had one of those teddy bears that you could heat in the microwave wrapped in a towel, my little ones loved that as they could really cuddle into it!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Fitzg

He is probably missing his litter mates and calling out for them and his mammy, have you some sort of a teddy or something you could give him to snuggle into? I had one of those teddy bears that you could heat in the microwave wrapped in a towel, my little ones loved that as they could really cuddle into it!

Thanks Mango :-) Aw the poor mite - I cuddled him & topped up his hot water bottle & he went to sleep - he's got a little toy puppy in there which he loves & I have a fluffy pyjamas top which he snuggles into too - we don't have a microwave unfortunately - he's sound out now but I got to wake him up now for The Milk!
    :-) did your little crew do much roaming about? is it normal at all? Or defo just missing his mom & family?

They did do a good bit of rooting around, repositioning into where they liked to sleep in the pile and all that kind of thing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I have nothing to contribute to this thread except to say AWWWWWWWWWWWW...

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

Have you got him in a small space? He doesnt need much room. He needs heat to keep him toastie warm.
    Is he on RC kitten milk every 2 hours? They do tend to mosey around looking for nipples If he's being chatty I would try him with milk when he is.
    He is quite small so keep an eye on his weight. Good luck!

• Advertisement

Thanks guys - well his brother was handed into the vets today so now I have two babies :) AWWWWW - I was so happy to reunite them I totally teared up!
    He's in a small card board box which is almost exactly a hot-water bottle and a half size so they have the bottle wrapped in a fleece for warmth and then cooler space. Chalkie is the name of the explorer - he miaows loudly and will climb all the way out of the box! if i'm holding him on my lap and let him he will climb all the way up my body to my shoulder - then he head buts me and licks my neck and then I guess he would tumble over my shoulder if he was let... I toilet him when he gets like that and he does a little pee but nothing major...
    maybe its just his personality?
    I don't know what kind of milk it is because the vets gave it to me in little baggies all weighed out...they're fosters...
    I'm feeding them 2.5mls every two hours and every 2.5 - 3 hours at night - so tonight for example I'm planning 12.00am, 3am, 6am, 8am, 10am etc if they agree! if they wake me early i just get up and feed them...
    The Mad House - would it be ok to give them extra milk like that? will it constipate him? I read on a website it might not be good - what do you think? have you done this before? If I was feeding him when he walked I'd possibly be feeding him every hour...
    thanks a mill! photos soon I promise!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭kinkygirl

Sorry, but I don't have any advice..kitty care wise. But, this has got to be one of the cutest posts ever on boards. Pictures soon please, please!
    OP, God bless you for your kind and wonderful heart. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Fitzg wrote: »
    Thanks guys - well his brother was handed into the vets today so now I have two babies

Hopefully the second kitten will up both their chances of survival, I was told at the weekend that loneliness can kill ickle kittens (no idea if this is true or not).

Best of luck with this - as it is hard, hard, & hard doing those night feeds. A serious commitment to make.

Here are Chalkie and his brother Lucifer reuniting in snuggles! and the second photo is Lucifer drinking his milk!
    Got to go feed them again :o
    I weighed them today and Chalkie is now 130gms and Lu is 170gms...
    Come on little guys!!! drink and grow and thrive!!

Ah they are so cute!! You end up being so incredibly attached to them!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

Sounds like they are gaining nicely. See if the vet can give you a bottle for them to get them suckling. :-)
    Hopefully Chalkie will be a bit more settled now that he has company with a heartbeat.
    You are doing great with the feeds, so I think he was just looking for his mammy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

They should thrive now, we took in a very sick feral kitten in September and she wouldn't take any food until the dog started snuggling her and washing her, couldn't stop her after that. They definitely do better with company.
    Best of luck with them, and keep the pictures coming!

Mouse (kitten) was only 270gms at about 4weeks, so they sound ok so far, weigh before and after feeding to keep a good eye on weight and how much they are taking.

Thanks Mymo :) that's great to hear about Mouse too!

[IMG][/img]DSC_0919.jpg

and here is his brother Chalkie the Cookie Monster playing hide and peek!
    [IMG][/img]DSC_0917.jpg

brotherly advice happening here! with Luci having a word in Cookie's ear! Cookie is contemplating! [IMG][/img]DSC_0913.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Beauties. They're my favourite type of moggie. Black with white paws and, if possible, a white 'tuxedo'. They always look so smartly dressed.

Advertisement