Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a phoneline installed

Options
  • 25-04-2013 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi,
    I'm not sure if this is the right place to post.

I am moving into a house and i wanted to set up phone and broadband, but there is no phone line/port in the house.

I was told I should get an electrican to install it. Just wondering if that is correct and if it would be expensive to get done.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

Firstly, is there an existing eircom master point, and if thats not visable, is there a poly poly (black) cable comming from a pole to the house or to a white termination box near or beside your meter box.

If the master point is allready on the inside, its a simple task of running a suitable cable from there to where you want your phone/router.
    usually a 2 or 3 pair phone cable is suitable, however most people will run a cat5 cable intstead.
    the cable is terminated into the master eircom box and then at a suitable phone/cat5 point at the other end.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Tantan1305 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm not sure if this is the right place to post.

I am moving into a house and i wanted to set up phone and broadband, but there is no phone line/port in the house.

I was told I should get an electrican to install it. Just wondering if that is correct and if it would be expensive to get done.

Thanks

Who told you to get an electrican to install it?

The service provider will install a master point.

If you want phone/broadband/tv, see if UPC are in your area and you can get all 3 over one cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Tantan1305

Who told you to get an electrican to install it?

The service provider will install a master point.

If you want phone/broadband/tv, see if UPC are in your area and you can get all 3 over one cable.

A friend in work said it to me, she's not an electrician but it sounded right to me because you'd have to be touching wires. I'm completely clueless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Tantan1305 wrote: »
    A friend in work said it to me, she's not an electrician but it sounded right to me because you'd have to be touching wires. I'm completely clueless.

Each provider will send out their technician to hook up a "master socket", if one doesn't exist, when you sign up for their service.

Check out all providers for broadband/phone in your area as prices / service can differ greatly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Each provider will send out their technician to hook up a "master socket", if one doesn't exist, when you sign up for their service.

Check out all providers for broadband/phone in your area as prices / service can differ greatly.

Now we have Sky unlimited broadband onto the market.

And Eircom are now currently upgrading to 50mb too.

More competition for UPC now...:pac::pac::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

what ever operator you decide to go with (eircom, bt, sky, Vodafone etc) , once it's on the eircom network an eircom technician will get a service order to install your line. He will install your line approx 1 meter inside your home, even if you don't have a phone point at the moment. If you require more point around the house the technician will do it but you will be advised of the charges, sometimes it's best to get an electrician to install more sockets where required. You will then receive your service thru your newly install socket (ntu)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Sky are using eircom lines, there's no competition, even IF they did.contention rates are better with UPC.

Upgrading to 50! UPC is offering a basic of 50. With speefs upto 150 and could offer more by pressing a button.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Eircom with a top speed or 50 meg vs UPC with a bottom speed of 50 & top speeds of 150. Hardly competition. From the introduction of competition into the BB market Eircom have always being playing catch up.

Re the phone line, whoever is providing you with the service will install a new socket. I,m sure the line comes into the house somewhere.
    Most people now just put the modem at the phone point & use wireless or network mains adapters.

Advertisement