Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kanger Protank or iClear30?

Options
  • 25-04-2013 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

Not a big fan of the bottom coil which is the only thing putting me off the protank.

Has anyone tried both? How do they compare?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

all I know is green hornet was impressed with the protank, and he hates clearomisers as much as I do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Very true. I do think the protank is a long lasting solid piece of kit. I wouldn't class it as disposable at all and the glass tank is great.

That said, I didn't like the stock wick and coil but its very easy to rebuild it and I never rebuilt clearo's before (cos I think they're junk!).

The rebuilt coil was warmer and more flavourful but was 2.0 ohm while the stock was 2.5 ohm I think.

Don't know anything about the iclear though. To be honest, if you're looking for a good quality clearo, the protank is the one you want and I think a lot of people who hate clearo's are surprised by the protank.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭sept09baby

I love clearos so that won't be an issue with me. Just don't want gurgling and too cold a vape. The airy draw shouldn't bother me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

I'd give a hesitant thumbs up to the protank, mainly for build quality but wouldn't reccomend the stock 2.5 ohm heads. Either get lower resistance heads or recoil straight away, otherwise the flavour is very muted.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Vaperus

its always going to be personal choice with any of these things. What one person hates another will love it.
    I have been using both and prefer the Protank for what its worth.

• Advertisement

Went with the protank but E-smokeireland gave me an iclear30 to try too.

Loving the Protank so far. Not as cold as the evod and no gurgling so will see how it breaks in. Solid piece of kit and looks great on the provari too. Seems a bit thirsty but I've been chain vaping since I put it on. Will see how it fares over time

Tried the iclear30 briefly. Warmer vape but I don't like it as much. Have a juice I've never tried in it before so that may have something to do with it too.

Protank is a decent bit of kit. If you rewick and coil it yourself its even better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Eileen Down

I really do like the look of a Protank. When I get around to ordering one, what else should be on my shopping list?

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭StickyIcky

Eileen maybe a spare head or two? Where are you buying from? What device will you be using it on? What do you already use that you like?

Hi Sticky.
    For the last 6 weeks I have been happily using a KT2 on a 900mah battery which I got from....wait for it..... e-smoke Ireland. It works great for me but the Protank looks really nice. My problem is I have yet to do any rebuilding and from what I have read from above, it's better to get started right away.
    So I wondering about what amount and kind of coil I would need and types of wicks I should order along with the Protank.

• Advertisement

You Dont need to rebuild protank coils unless you really want to, you can buy spare heads the same as you do for the T2

Nice one! Sorry,stupid question.

No such thing as a stupid question

You clearly have never met me before:D

Well Eileen I'd offer to post you a meter or wick and wire for free. You can just try your hand at making a few coils and if it's your thing then great, if not then feck it nothing lost.

I'm vaping a year now and have never recoiled anything. Wouldn't have the patience and would be too clumsy. Am happier just to get my replacement heads for a couple of euro each.

Today is the fourth day with the protank and am loving it. Find the heads and draw perfect for me. I actually ordered another today so I can gave 2 juices on the go at the same time in them.

To be honest, I wish I was that way.....I'd love to be able to have a few replacement heads and just pop them on.

Compared to having metres of wick, wire, screwdrivers, snips, multimeters and in some cases syringes and blowtorches, its a much better option. I'm now carrying sera wool around as well ha ha...

I just don't like the stock heads. All the better if you do!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

well with the bulli all you really need is wick and wire, you can kinda tighten those nuts with your fingers ifyou're desperate.

i was looking at the a7 and trying to figure out what **** I needed to carry with me to recoil it every day... turns out it's a ****ing lot

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

Do ESI sell the replacement heads for the protank?

Never mind, i'm an idiot and didnt check "next page" :o

Thinking of upgrading to a vamo or something like that and would like to stay with bottom coil with minimal maintennance

StickyIcky wrote: »
    Well Eileen I'd offer to post you a meter or wick and wire for free. You can just try your hand at making a few coils and if it's your thing then great, if not then feck it nothing lost.

Thanks Sticky, that's a very kind offer, but as much as I enjoy making and repairing things, after reading Green Hornets last post here, I think it might be for the best if I start with the stock heads. My life is complicated enough.

• Advertisement

It's not that bad Eileen really. All you really need for Kangers is the wick and wire and you'd get a years worth for a few euros.

The genesis ones are the ones that need all the other stuff. Silica just needs to be cut, few turns of wire and that's it really.

Agreed. Rebuilding a Protank or a vivi nova only requires having a wee roll of wick and a wee roll of wire and something to cut a piece off each. Only takes 5 mins once you've done it before. Handy if you're down to your last head you can build it there and then. Whatever you do don't bin your old heads. You might end up rebuilding them one day, or you can give them or trade them with someone even.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Rattleshakes

Agreed.Making your own heads is a piece of pish.Thanks to Sticky for getting me started.I'm still not impressed with the ProTank,just doesn't do it for me.Decent looking bit of kit but for me that's pretty much all it has to offer.

The iClear 30 is performing particularly well for me at the mo.Hated it when I first used it as I couldn't get a decent vape and it would lose its shiit at anything over 4ohms.It does seem to be particularly juice sensitive as it didn't take to the first couple of juices I tried.Stuck some Cigarrillos in it and its absolutely fine,can get up to 6v no problem.Still prone to the odd gurgle due to the top cap design but that rarely happens.If you're vaping a fairly thin 80/20 mix or something like Cigarillos it's a pretty good vape for a clearo but it won't take to thicker juices in my experience.

Pretty sure the cigarillos is 50/50 actually?

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭damon5

Just checked out there website and on a product page has different flavours,some fruity too http://www.houseofliquid.com/pindex.asp Ooops didnt notice this page http://www.houseofliquid.com/category-s/1839.htm

Agreed. Rebuilding a Protank or a vivi nova only requires having a wee roll of wick and a wee roll of wire and something to cut a piece off each. Only takes 5 mins once you've done it before. Handy if you're down to your last head you can build it there and then. Whatever you do don't bin your old heads. You might end up rebuilding them one day, or you can give them or trade them with someone even.

Now we're talking!

Power to the people :)

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Rattleshakes

Pretty sure the cigarillos is 50/50 actually?

Yeah as far as I know it is too,thats why I said"If you're vaping a fairly thin 80/20 mix or something like Cigarrillos.."

FFS Green,always trying to show me up:p

Hi rattles so that wick and wire I sent you was a success. Glad to hear. I've only had my Protank for a week using strawberry milkshake from e-smokeireland which is 60/40 pg vg I believe. I can get it to 5.5 watts which seems a bit low but still puts out a satisfying vape. Haven't bothered to take mine apart yet but usually there is an extra price of wick on top of the coil of the bottom coil clearos which when removed aids wicking, which means you can bump up the watts more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

...which means you can bump up the watts more.

Rebuilt a Protank with cotton recently and it was handling 10 watts just fine.

Bananas amount of vapour out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭P.I.T.A

sept09baby wrote: »
    I'm vaping a year now and have never recoiled anything. Wouldn't have the patience and would be too clumsy. Am happier just to get my replacement heads for a couple of euro each.

Today is the fourth day with the protank and am loving it. Find the heads and draw perfect for me. I actually ordered another today so I can gave 2 juices on the go at the same time in them.
    Happy first year off the fags & many, many more to come ;)

Advertisement