Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help please, new tenants have just moved in ..

Options
  • 25-04-2013 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭

... And want me to replace two items already.

Firstly they are not happy i don't have a power shower. It is a regular shower head and hose attached to the bath taps. Which they saw when they came to view the house.

Secondly, they want the microwave replaced as it doesn't have a defrost function .

They have just moved in a few days ago.

Where do i stand on this? Do I have to pay for both these items in full? Or do they pay for them? Or do we split the cost?

Also both items are on the inventory, does that make me liable to replace them if the tenant doesn't like them?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

your under no obligation to replace either, if they dont like them thats their problem, as long as both are in working order you dont need to change them !!!
    they are just being fussy !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭rsta

solerina wrote: »
    your under no obligation to replace either, if they dont like them thats their problem, as long as both are in working order you dont need to change them !!!
    they are just being fussy !!

Thanks for the quick reply!
    What should I say to them? I don't want them to turn nasty on me...!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Just explain that there is nothing wrong with both the shower and the microwave therefore they don't need replacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

you could offer to split the cost with them - if they really want them upgraded.

you could explain to them that they moved in with that stuff there and should have asked for it to be changed before they moved in - if they really wanted it changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Sadderday

they are in working order so no.
    if they dont like them, their problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

As I one off I would probably consider getting a new microwave at small cost and draw a line under it after that apart from genuine issues.

Thank everyone.
    I hope they are not going to be trouble!
    I don't mind going half on the microwave, so il suggest that if they push it.

If they want the shower done they'll have to pay for that themselves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭RUSTEDCORE

rsta wrote: »
    ... And want me to replace two items already.

Firstly they are not happy i don't have a power shower. It is a regular shower head and hose attached to the bath taps. Which they saw when they came to view the house.

Secondly, they want the microwave replaced as it doesn't have a defrost function .

They have just moved in a few days ago.

Where do i stand on this? Do I have to pay for both these items in full? Or do they pay for them? Or do we split the cost?

Also both items are on the inventory, does that make me liable to replace them if the tenant doesn't like them?

Thanks

I suggest you tell them that they can cancel the contract and move out immediately if they wish or accept the agreed upon conditions... though in fairness that shower is almost taking the piss as much as them asking for a new microwave.

Had a tenant in that was like that at the start but turned out grand... just settling in, ya might be alright with them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

seriously they need to be told to go jump.

They viewed the place they saw what was there tough sh1t. If they want a new microwave or a power shower let them get them at their own expense.

If you concede on one or both of these all your going to have is these pain in the ass tenants annoying you over and over and over about crap that they have no right for.

• Advertisement

don't be tempted to get a power shower for these now though...

Thats a big enough ask, you should say no to that, they knew there wasn't one there when they viewed.

D3PO wrote: »
    seriously they need to be told to go jump.

They viewed the place they saw what was there tough sh1t. If they want a new microwave or a power shower let them get them at their own expense.

If you concede on one or both of these all your going to have is these pain in the ass tenants annoying you over and over and over about crap that they have no right for.

That's what im afraid of, they know im new at being a landlord. If i concede then i might look like a soft touch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭GoodisonPark

Power Shower would cost a few euro.
    I put one in a few months ago.
    Unit set me back €350 then I had to pay a plumber and an electrician to install it. You are looking at €500 - €600 if you decide to get one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

they saw both of these items when they viewed the place, they can't ask you to change them now. Explain to them that you won't be replacing or changing any goods that aren't faulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

they saw both of these items when they viewed the place, they can't ask you to change them now. Explain to them that you won't be replacing or changing any goods that aren't faulty.

Next thing then will be the shower will "go" faulty... :pac:

Noooo!

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭ameee

It would be very easy to miss a microwave not having a defrost option I didnt even know they came without that option so maybe offer to go halves on it. That being said I rented three different places over the years and only one ever came with a microwave and even then I put it away in a press as I had my own. As for the power shower if it was that important to them to have one they should have checked or even discussed it with you before moving in I wouldnt pay for it if I was you.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭by the seaside

Maybe it will leak all over the microwave.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I wouldnt go halves on anything for them; it sets a bad precedent for the future. Neither of these issues are in any way your problem; they viewed the house, its up to them to look for this kind of thing before they move in.

If the shower does magically break then you will be replacing it with like for like. Converting to a power shower is going to cost you a lot of money, and depending on the type of property (ie an apartment) it might not actually be possible at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,394 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I think you should consider getting a power shower for the future.

I really wouldn't consider a place I was sharing without one.

Obviously though they accepted the apartment as is.

How did they phrase their power shower question? Did they say there was an issue with the old one or just that they want one?

• Advertisement

Incidentally OP if you are new to all this and aren't sure about what you are and aren't obliged to do you need to do a little homework for your own sake.

Start with the PRTB website, and their FAQ

the Irish property owners association will probably also be able to give you good information.

You also need to read and understand the Residential Tenancies Act 2004, it sets out a number of your obligations and those of the tenant. importantly it also contains the notice periods and circumstances necessary if you want/need to remove tenants from your property.

the PRTB used to do a really good leaflet on it but I can't find a link to it.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

noodler wrote: »

How did they phrase their power shower question? Did they say there was an issue with the old one or just that they want one?

why should he consider getting one ? He rented it fine as it was. Just because they have decided they want one isn't a reason to buy one. Renting out a property is a business you to spend money on unneeded items would be foolish.

if he has a vacant rental and cant fill it then maybe but that's not the case. They are taking the piss and no way should he change either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭petersburg2002

If it was something essential like a broken washing machine or broken light, then yes no problem. But they are chancing their arm. Tell them where to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Telling them no will also cause problems. If I get that from a landlord, I
    Would be far less likley to fix anything myself. How much is the rent? That is a factor too.
    Landlords that dont invest im their property lose tenants. If you go halves, who owns it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Conmar

As long as they don't get the idea to "make them faulty".....I agree with previous posts, they knew there wasn't a power shower before they moved in, so I wouldn't change it for them

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

It really wouldnt be an issue for most people. Id love to have one in my current place, but its not a dealbreaker. I think the OP would be foolish to spend what will most likely work out to be a fair bit of money on something that they are not obliged to replace, and will most likely add little/no value to the rental property.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I cannot see how a microwave not having a defrost option is a reason to buy a new one!

As for the power shower, loads of properties do not have facility. I have rented four homes, I only had one in 1 of them!

Sounds like they are being contrary.

Lots of apartment blocks don't need powershowers as there is tonnes of water pressure in the system anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

I think its very telling that not a single poster here backed your tenants to any degree . The reason is simple they haven't got a leg to stand on !!!!! As another poster has stated do not even mention the word faulty - you are almost encouraging them to say the shower or microwave are .

(As an aside - there really is no such thing as a "defrost " function on a microwave . If you set to to 30% power it is just the right strength to defrost but I digress ! )

Ask them in a very suprised voice are they trying to say "there was a different shower or microwave there when they came to view ?" . KEEP ASKING THE QUESTION until you get a no . "Well then" you can say "they form part of your contract" . You could be really smart and say " the flat is in Rathmines would you like me to change that too ? " but that's last resort !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

desbrook wrote: »

(As an aside - there really is no such thing as a "defrost " function on a microwave . If you set to to 30% power it is just the right strength to defrost but I digress ! )
    [\QUOTE]

No there is. You put in the weight and it calculates the time tells you to turn it starts again.

It is no way a deal breaker and is one of the most bizarre requests I have heard of.

The shower is a major expense and is just plain ridiculous. Such showers are really not good for renting as they always get broken. Every single one I have had in a rented places is now gone for that very reason. People seem to love to turn the knobs the wrong way for some reason.

People suggesting going half on this stuff are at least partially saying it is ok to ask. There is absolutely no reason to do what they asked.

Politely say they saw the place before hand and that you find their requests unreasonable.

Advertisement