Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power profiles

Options
  • 25-04-2013 2:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭

So what types do we have on here, sprinters, all rounders, climber or tt demons? Or do people even pay any attention to their power profiles at all?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

So what types do we have on here, sprinters, all rounders, climber or tt demons? Or do people even pay any attention to their power profiles at all?

WKO+ just laughed at my data. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

WKO+ just laughed at my data. :o

I am shocked it even registered and accepted the data in the first place:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

Mines relatively flat, excusing 1 min power, I don't have much data for that as most training/racing is shorter or much longer efforts.
    5 s	15.71 w/kg
    1 min	 6.25 w/kg
    5 min	 4.42 w/kg
    FT	 3.68 w/kg

It puts me in upper end of A4/lower end of A3. If the course was hilly I'd say it'd be reasonable, but anything flat and I'd be out the back and I weigh less than most of the girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I am shocked it even registered and accepted the data in the first place:pac:

Its a polar power meter, so its all based off his HR numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Just checked mine. It said I obviously don't own any bikes.

• Advertisement

tunney wrote: »
    Its a polar power meter, so its all based off his HR numbers

Ahh! Thats why my FTP is so low!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

I dont know what you mean. I have a few rides done using trainerroad, what do I do next to answer your question?

BTH wrote: »
    I dont know what you mean. I have a few rides done using trainerroad, what do I do next to answer your question?

What is your 5sec, 1min, 5min, FTP best power outputs? Divide by weight to get w/kg. then look at this http://home.trainingpeaks.com/media/69406/powerprofiling_v4.xls

A very crude way to look at what you are strong/weak on and the type of rider you are....very loosely based although mine stacks up to what I had imagined.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

What is your 5sec, 1min, 5min, FTP best power outputs? Divide by weight to get w/kg. then look at this http://home.trainingpeaks.com/media/69406/powerprofiling_v4.xls

A very crude way to look at what you are strong/weak on and the type of rider you are....very loosely based although mine stacks up to what I had imagined.

Cheers for that, I have actually seen that table before but never really looked at it.

Before you all laugh, this is coming from very limited data and no FTP testing (using 20min vest instead, which was one of three 20min reps steady)

Anyway, 5sec has me below untrained as does 1min best :o
    5min has me at the top of Cat3/bottom of Cat2 and 20min comfortably in Cat2.

Very very limited data, only used trainerroad for 9 turbos and a lot of those were easy as I've been on and off sick the last 2 months. *excuses excuses*

What a load of rubbish!! There's at least 20 lines missing off the bottom of that spreadsheet! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

d4r3n wrote: »
    Mines relatively flat, excusing 1 min power, I don't have much data for that as most training/racing is shorter or much longer efforts.
    5 s	15.71 w/kg
    1 min	 6.25 w/kg
    5 min	 4.42 w/kg
    FT	 3.68 w/kg

It puts me in upper end of A4/lower end of A3. If the course was hilly I'd say it'd be reasonable, but anything flat and I'd be out the back and I weigh less than most of the girls.

If you are to fully trust the numbers you would be seen as an all rounder:)
    BTH wrote: »
    Cheers for that, I have actually seen that table before but never really looked at it.

Before you all laugh, this is coming from very limited data and no FTP testing (using 20min vest instead, which was one of three 20min reps steady)

Anyway, 5sec has me below untrained as does 1min best :o
    5min has me at the top of Cat3/bottom of Cat2 and 20min comfortably in Cat2.

Very very limited data, only used trainerroad for 9 turbos and a lot of those were easy as I've been on and off sick the last 2 months. *excuses excuses*

You would have a similar profile to myself so, time trialist/steady state rider (you will be grand when you move to IM distance:)) I am bottom of cat4 on 5sec, untrained on 1min, Cat 2 on 5min power and bridging into Cat 1 on FTP. Now it could be noted i have never targeted the lower end but ut would not shift that much.
    Whilst power profile can be helpful it should not be looked at in isolation, fatigue profile also plays a part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

I am bottom of cat4 on 5sec, untrained on 1min, Cat 2 on 5min power and bridging into Cat 1 on FTP.

:O
    (Insert exaggeration by a whole category here) :D

You mean bridging into cat 2 according to latest on power thread right?

Perhaps a slight misread of the table.
    4.7 w/kg would be bottom of Cat 1/upper Cat 2.
    4.18 bottom of Cat 2/upper Cat 3.
    Etc.

I'm mid/upper cat 2 according to that and last power test in Feb (FTP).
    Profile very much weaker the shorter tests from Cat 5 upwards as expected.

Fazz wrote: »
    :O
    (Insert exaggeration by a whole category here) :D

You mean bridging into cat 2 according to latest on power thread right?

Perhaps a slight misread of the table.
    4.7 w/kg would be bottom of Cat 1/upper Cat 2.
    4.18 bottom of Cat 2/upper Cat 3.
    Etc.

I'm mid/upper cat 2 according to that and last power test in Feb (FTP).
    Profile very much weaker the shorter tests from Cat 5 upwards as expected.

Woops typo there alright, I wish :). I would need to have the FTP around 320w for that or lose about 9kg in weight;). I suppose why power profiles came into my head is how my current phase of "messing" (bike racing) really requires high power output for shorter efforts to deal with the constant surges, coming out of corners, closing gaps and making/catching breaks. Really the power profile of an individual should match what you have been training for or at least ifdentify the weaknesses they need to work on.

Advertisement