Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC idiot needing help with Wifi and Bluetooth

Options
  • 25-04-2013 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi.

I know this is going to sound stupid to a whole lot of you guys but I am building my first gaming pc and how do I make sure that my PC has both Wifi and Bluetooth?

I am obviously going to need them for downloading games and mods and also connecting different devices.

Do I need to purchase a specific motherboard with those capabilities, buy an adapter or do those features just come as part of the package nowadays?

If anyone can help without making me feel too stupid that would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Just about every modern motherboard will have an Ethernet connection on it. For wireless you can get a pci card or a usb wireless dongle. You can also get usb Bluetooth adapters.

For major downloading and gaming forget about wireless particularly if you live in an urban area.

Wireless is convenient and great for casual browsing not when you need a solid connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

SICO94 wrote: »
    Hi.

I know this is going to sound stupid to a whole lot of you guys but I am building my first gaming pc and how do I make sure that my PC has both Wifi and Bluetooth?

I am obviously going to need them for downloading games and mods and also connecting different devices.

Do I need to purchase a specific motherboard with those capabilities, buy an adapter or do those features just come as part of the package nowadays?

If anyone can help without making me feel too stupid that would be great!

You can get motherboards with all that built in, http://www.hardwareversand.de/DDR3/67261/Gigabyte+GA-Z77N-Wifi%2C+Intel+Z77%2C+ITX.article

• Registered Users Posts: 26 SICO94

Cool thanks.

Where I am now though my Wifi connection is very good so can anyone recommend some good choices for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Unless you wanna use a bluetooth ,keyboard,or connection to a mobile phone,by bluetooth.
    there,s not much point in getting bluetooth on a pc.

ITS easier to use a usb keyboard on a pc.
    I transfer data to my phone using a 16gig sd micro card,
    using a 2 euro sd card reader ,
    Bought from dealz ,2 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

riclad wrote: »
    Unless you wanna use a bluetooth ,keyboard,or connection to a mobile phone,by bluetooth.
    there,s not much point in getting bluetooth on a pc.

ITS easier to use a usb keyboard on a pc.
    I transfer data to my phone using a 16gig sd micro card,
    using a 2 euro sd card reader ,
    Bought from dealz ,2 euro.

This is true and, if you game you're better off with a wired connection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 SICO94

Thanks for all the help everybody
    It really helps my understanding of this.

Advertisement