Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new plans ahead...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭roseybear

Tested my deadlift yesterday - 95kg, up 10kg frm my last test and up 2kg from my heaviest ever so was a good test week for me :) had the gym night out last night, not feeling so hot this morn but went out to do some 200 reps on the track. My dad who coaches my sis has some formula that when u type in your times it works out what u should be running for speed/aet/lactic sessions. So did 8x200 with 35sec recover. Prob need to do 10-12 reps in future as was very well recovered after the session. Went inside to mess around a bit and did my first handstand push-up!! :)

decided to take the plunge and have asked my dad to do up a 400mtr focused training plan for me. it will give me something to do while im in the uk and i always thought it was ridiculous i never went under 60sec for a 400 so thats the goal. hopefully be doing a timetrial this weekend to see where i am at

went out for a jog and decided to do a few sprints - just 5x60mtrs after a good warm up. am in the gym later but was sick of sitting around studying. have stopped bringing out a watch or garmin with me (i really am turning in to a sprinter) and enjoying going out for a run much more - much less pressure to hit a certain pace/time/distance. dunno where Im going to do runs over in Middlesbrough, cause its quite a built up place but will work it out. dad says he has a rough draft done out for me so will look at it later

Did an easy 40mins xmas eve with himself and a very very easy 20mins xmas morning, body was very tired. Doing a time trial tomorrow morning in santry so will take it easy today, just a walk or a lap around the block to get warm or something! It's gonna be sooo cold tomorrow

time trial done this morning, my god my lungs burned!! coughing as if i smoke 20 a day now. did a 600m and a 200m a little after. did 1min50 for the 600 which was better than i expected but loadsa room for improvement. i felt really strong just need a bit more speed. target will be sub 1.40 intially then 1.35. the 200 was 31 sec, which was slower than i targeted but dad said i looked strong just dont have the speed. also said i dont lift my knees high enough so gotta work on that too. He's gonna give me 3 key run sessions a week and then i'll do 2 gym sessions and 1 bodyweight sessions. that's the plan anyways. Dunno if i'll get to train next weekend cause i'll fly over sat morn and then will need to find my way, so will get my sessions done during the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Nice going! Pity there's not a 200m on the 10 round numbers table...

Dubgal72 wrote: »

thanks! i reckon i'll hit 29 secs by easter for the 200, and maybe 5-6 secs off the 600. hit a 62 400 maybe? all depends on if i stick to the programme though lol

roseybear wrote: »
    thanks! i reckon i'll hit 29 secs by easter for the 200, and maybe 5-6 secs off the 600. hit a 62 400 maybe? all depends on if i stick to the programme though lol
    I'm far from an expert but I imagine work on your form along with strength and speed work will reap huge dividends, maybe even more than you're predicting. Good luck, I'll be following with interest! :)

I'm far from an expert but I imagine work on your form along with strength and speed work will reap huge dividends, maybe even more than you're predicting. Good luck, I'll be following with interest! :)

its a diff kinda fitness than im used to aswell. i have genetics on my side though, dad did 400 mam did 800 :)

Ahhh that makes sense. You've got nearly a lifetime too of running to fall back on, your body remembers. Just keep the pressure off yourself, enjoy it first and everything falls into place after that. Trust me...been there, got the t shirt :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

We can put it on!

We can put it on!
    Go on then :) Should put a smile on them sprinters :D

So started following the guide dad gave me today. Was to be 7x200 at 37-38 sec pace with minute off in between. Ended up doing them all at 36 but was such a savage day for running. Aim was for HR to be 160ish and I'd say it was, took my pulse 1 min after I finished and it was back down to 125. Will head the gym this eve I think

Did my 600 session today, aim is to keep hr up but not to build up lactic. Hr should be in the 155 mark so it's just steady running with 2min30 recovery. Did them at the polo grounds, 4x600 (r what I think was 600, mighta been 50mtrs short will measure it later) all in 2.15 with hr maybe a little too high, I took it for a minute as soon as I finished each rep and it was 155 after a min so might have been up around 160 when I was running. Felt good though, kinda comfortably uncomfortable if that makes sense. 2.30 was plenty of recovery too. Tomoro will be the gym and maybe an easy jog, thurs may have to be a rest day, depends on nye shenanigans.

moving in the morning to middlesbourgh. i know i may aswell be going to cork or galway its that easy to get to but i still feel ill :/

Best of luck. Stay calm and enjoy what Middlesbrough has to throw at you :) Keep us posted, ok?!

Did my last gym session in Revfit for a while last night, helped calm me down big time but did manage to rip a callous off my hand using a kettle bell.. It HURTS. Not so much doing it, I didn't even notice but afterwards :/ will gt to have a look round Middlesbrough later today, know there's a track about a mile Away so if it's not raining il walk down there for a look. Will join the gym for tomoro anyways.

have settled into campus residents here, only 2 of the other 5 ppl are here the rest arrive tomoro, seem pretty ok. i thought they were really young but no theres only a couple of yrs between us.they are 1st yrs though so we'll see lol. i met 2 of the girls from my class and my god do they know their stuff! im now terrified im outta my depth but i just gtta be prepared and get the head down. wasn't too impressed when i saw my room at first infact i started looking up my next flight hoe to have something to look forward to (my own bed) but now all my stuff is in its not so bad. one good thing is it has a notice board and a white board! so was able to stick my photos on the board and will be buying a white board marker tomorrow! also the park beside me has a 5k loop marked out so i'll head there tomorrow (gym isnt open apparantly but i will investigate that too).

went down to the park this morning and just did a rekkie run around it to get to know my way (30mins incl journey there and back) will map it out on googlemaps later as i didnt bring my garmin cause my charger is broken. nice little park, think i have an ideal place to do my 600s in the far corner of the park. the college running club have circut training tomoro, dont think il do it cause i wanna get back in the gym but i'll call in to say hello and find out their training schedule or any other non-uni clubs that might be around. off to town today to get a uk phone number, few bits for my room and a few bits for my cupboards

• Advertisement

joined the gym today, was unsure of what to do session wise so im going back to the density block i did before but working off my new max lifts. unfortunately there are no safety racks in the gym so i gotta be careful. or have a spot.

squat 4x5 @70%

SLDL x8 w 55kg
    push upx12
    5 rounds

split squat x10
    skullz x12
    4 rounds

barbell curls x10
    overhead press x15
    4 rounds

felt like i hadnt trained in weeks! but in fairness i havent done anything heavy in a while! going to do my 600s tomorrow hopefully. Bumped in to the guy who runs the powerlifting club so will link in with him a bit more hopefully regarding the weight training anyways.

did my 600s (or what i roughly gauged as 600). was harder than the last time but think i mighta been going a little quicker, hr was higher anyways. 4 this week and will up it to 5 next week.

in the gym last night for a bench session, have asked my dad to do out a weights programme for me as it's hard to catch the powerlifting lads and their training times are too long (minimum 90mins, i need to get in and get out!). did what was roughly 200s this morning before college, when the evenings get brighter i can train after college but mon and tues morns will need to be running sessions for a couple of weeks. wed am off at 12 so thats ok. if im staying around i can run fridays cause im off but on some occasions i will be going home on thurs eves. gym suits better to go later as its quite busy. have to go to the hospital tommorrow for an occ health appointment and apparantly theres a track beside it so going to suss that out when im down there.

when im here i feel like im in work mode. i can relax and wind down but it's all business. makes me look forward to going home to my creature comforts, i'll still have work to do but i can be minded for a bit. wasn't eating enough the first couple of days but have that managed now.

did a gym session this eve, and hopefully going the track tomoro. all the house mates are going out tonight and it's making me really miss my home comforts this eve :( library closed at 8 so i couldn't go over there after the gym to hide out. gonna c about maybe going for dinner tomoro eve cause think they may be going out again tomoro.

made my way to the track this morning, was much further than i thought but i know now :) walked the 4k there then did my lactic session - 450x1 350 x1 250x1 and a 150x1. was really windy!! felt really good on the 450 and 350, other 2 i wasn't moving as well but still under the target. 450 was 80sec, 350 67 sec, 250 37sec and 150 24sec. passed these on to the boss who suggested we be less conservative and aim a bit higher so will review when im home next weekend. jogged the 4k home, usually hate doing that with a bag on my back but managed pretty well. might get out for a little 5k tomoro and will deffo head the gym for a lightish mess around style session

did my mess around session today, didnt get out for my jog but have done 3 good sessions this week so will leave it at that. will be home next weekend so will get my hills done finally, there are abso no hills in this place!! also my dad sent me a gym programme so did a little bitta tweeking to it.. i wanna get strong but i also wanna look good :P starting lectures properly tomoro but am looking forward to flying home thurs eve for a long weekend - im off at 12 thurs until 10am mon so may even fly back to the college mon morn, will see! even though im training i feel like ive gone a bit soft or lost some definition or something. my diet hasn't been bad so am a little bit of a loss, but it could be just the cortisol from the stress of moving floating around a bit longer. will give it another week or 2. spose to be very windy tomoro, was going to do my 200s before lectures but tues is spose to be much better. i might just get up and do them, putting them off isnt going to make them any easier :D

• Advertisement

didn't feel great yesterday, very overwhelmed all day, finally settled down about 9pm so needless to say i didnt train. went out and did my 200s this morn (8x200 with 1min recover). felt very heavy legged and just meh so just got on with them. was early when i did them which might explain the heaviness. 30secs after i did number 8 my pulse was 152 and after the min it was 125 so was getting enough recovery between them. heading the gym this eve to catch up on sessions and may have someone roped in to do the 600s 2moro. will be meeting them in the park so it means i can't back outta doing them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭ECOLII

Play it smart with the 6s if you are planning back to back sessions, especially if you have had a hectic few days.

ECOLII wrote: »
    Play it smart with the 6s if you are planning back to back sessions, especially if you have had a hectic few days.

i know it's not really ideal but it's just the way i'll have to do it this week. the 6s arent too bad and il prob take thurs off cause am flying home for some home comforts (yay!!)

got myself a partner in crime today - an ex - 400mtr runner :) so he joined me for the 600s. of course that meant i had to put the foot down a bit...stupid competitiveness. so they were all too fast but comfortable at the same time and i was recovered within the time too. they were 2.04, 2.10, 2.12, 2.10 and 2.06 with 2.40 between each. was nice!! will try get a gym sesh done tomoro before my train and flight home :D

gym session done before i left for the airport, didn't sleep a wink last night for some reason (and it defo wasn't excitment about coming home, it was like an anxious/dread type feeling). oh well, home to my own bed tonight :). finding the weights easy at the mo cause am using a pyramid type training programme and the base of the pyramid is only 60% of my max up to 75% which feels quite light. no doubt it will get heavy pretty quick (up 5% every week) but right now it's very easy

• Advertisement

deadlifted today and think i'll jog later too cause i have not stopped eating since ive come home. seriously, since 8.30 last night and now id say have had 3000cals. and going out to dinner with himself tomoro so gotta reel it in or i wont fit in anything :O

Hi, you're doing some good sessions there. Just curious, are you not logging your aerobic runs or do you not do any?

Hi, you're doing some good sessions there. Just curious, are you not logging your aerobic runs or do you not do any?

Don't do any! 600s are meant to be aerobic. I might go for the odd one for mental health reasons but other than that I won't be doing any runs

Did my lactic session in santry, a 150, 250, 350 and 450. Took shorter recoveries (between 5-10mins instead of 10-15) and still went quicker than I shoulda done based on my time trial a few weeks back so we're gonna adjust all my times. Did the 150 in 22secs, 250 in 39sec, 350 in 59 sec and 450 in 1.19. The 350 and 450 always seem the easiest, the pure speed ones are the ones that get me lol. Going out for dinner tonight so might do an easy 30mins with himself beforehand to loosen up

Don't do any! 600s are meant to be aerobic. I might go for the odd one for mental health reasons but other than that I won't be doing any runs
    Ah ok, thanks. Sorry, shorter distance training is foreign territory :). I just assumed 'everybody' did 'runs' :D I see where you're coming from tho about runs sorting the head out.Enjoy dinner!

Ah ok, thanks. Sorry, shorter distance training is foreign territory :). I just assumed 'everybody' did 'runs' :D I see where you're coming from tho about runs sorting the head out.Enjoy dinner!

I know, it's weird for me too coming from a mileage background but I'm not getting fat and my times are good so il stick with it!! Dinner was delish, the resturant in the residents on Stephens green is a must

Did my hills today, just 3x3 as was my first time doing them. Can c what my dad means when he says I don't lift my knees, certainly needed to start lifting them on the hills! Back to the boro (Middlesbrough) this eve

got off my morning lectures a little early so went to do a session - kinda wanted to do my 200s, but it had snowed last night and the ground was still a bit dodge so off to do some squats. this week the weather will dictate training a good bit. am also going for a repeat ecg on wed as one i had done before was a little off so my gp over here wanted a repeat (shes not convinced the original one was correct). will aim to do a session wed after the ecg as im off early and it's nice to get it outta the way. am all about time saving now so whenever i can i will get sessions done. have also started doing my food shop online to save me having to go to the shops to get it :) a two week shop (roughly) is costing me 30£ including delivery (just remebered i forgot to get coffee :()

took a turn last night, my mood, stress levels, everything just went bat s**t crazy. was in tears after talking to the bf. i won't get home for a few weeks this time round and it really got to me - i knew id have to do a longer stint at some point just didn think itd be this soon! so got very emotional about it, still am but i'll b home in just over a fortnight so i just gotta suck it up. Didnt get outta bed this morn was very very tired for some reason. texted my dad about how i had felt yesterday eve and he said get out and go for a run or the gym. it was an order not a suggestion. went for a run around the outside of the park, was actually quite nice (was dark so park was closed). bumped into a few runners along the way, was roughly 4miles (did 2 loops around) so feel better for it now (he knows me too well my dad.. we're very alike). some of my classmates are suggesting a hike/walk on sunday which im all for, its exactly what i need. one thing that's affecting me which i didnt think it would so soon after just coming back is the lack of affection over here - i need my cat :( had a confusing day of lectures yesterday and today so maybe the stress just makes me want to be minded. I just need to get to friday and i can kinda take a breath and sort myself out a bit! have already decided im getting pix'n'mix at the weekend as a treat. doing my 200s tomor i think, have my partner in crime again this week. will do my 600s friday or sunday, and off to the track on sat.

+1 to your dad's advice, get out and run when you feel like that, not for training...for a 'head clear'. Natural medicine :) The hike sounds like a good plan too. Not easy what you're doing, but it will get better. Promise.

• Advertisement

+1 to your dad's advice, get out and run when you feel like that, not for training...for a 'head clear'. Natural medicine :) The hike sounds like a good plan too. Not easy what you're doing, but it will get better. Promise.

yeh its the lack of control too, when things feel like they're spiraling it freaks me out, but after today i realised im still on top of things so no need to panic. these moments of madness just happen sometimes and i gotta just let them happen, forget about them and move on. the loop i ran tonight is a nice one so now i know somewhere i can run after dark or even walk im happy out

just weights today, nothing to special. mapped out that loop around the park i did last night and it turns out each side is 600mtr! perfect for my 600s, so it means i don't have to get them done on a certain day now i can do them after dark! so gonna do them tomor, in lectures fromo 9-12, then 1-5 so my brain will be too fired to do much work, a nice session will get me going :)

managed to get off a lecture 10mins early so decided to do my 200s during lunch and get them outta the way. felt ok doing them, gave myself the full 1min recovery and was ready to go after each, pulse was down to 137 1min after the last one. all about the same pace as previous weeks but focused on knees up. dropping down to 45sec recovery next week! track is still a go sat morn and the walk/hike is going ahead sunday as long as its not lashing. may or may not do my 600s this week might just take a run about the park and do the 600s as a fartlek.

just did a quick gym sesh tonight, some deadlifts and close grip bench, just to get outta my room and give the head a break, been feeling very slow and tired all day but feel btr now. off to the track in the morning

stayed up too late last night watching nothing of real importance so was feeling very sluggish heading off to the track. was surprised how it went based on how i was feeling, 450 - 1.17, 350 - 57, 250 - 39 and 150- 23. tried to focus on from again and knees up but the only one i managed it for was the 150 and it did feel different - felt more glute activation and felt that i looked more like a 400mtr runner :D felt a bit more power too. Really need to get some hills in somehow, one the lads here suggested i go to the beach, the sand would provide the resistance and its only 5 mins on the train. might even have some dunes to run up so will look in to that.

went out for a jog there this morn just to get up and going. didn't really know what pace i was doing but mapped it out after and it was about 5.5miles and took me 42mins so am pretty happy with that! thought my longer fitness might have started to die out but obv not. might go the gym after the library this eve just to do something to help me unwind and loosen out a bit.

gym today for some squats and military press! squats starting to feel a bit heavy now but could be just general tiredness too. using my dads pyramid training programme so today was from 70-85% of max and then back down to 70%. 200s tommorrow, hopefully in the morning but may go after lectures, finished at 3 and its not darkish til 4.30 so have time if i can't get outta the bed

went out for a jog there this morn just to get up and going. didn't really know what pace i was doing but mapped it out after and it was about 5.5miles and took me 42mins so am pretty happy with that! thought my longer fitness might have started to die out but obv not. might go the gym after the library this eve just to do something to help me unwind and loosen out a bit.
    No harm to keep the aerobic fitness going, never know when you might need it :)

No harm to keep the aerobic fitness going, never know when you might need it :)

especially in "the boro" (middlesbrough)!!

• Advertisement

Just went for a little jog around the block this eve, couldn't get outta the bed this morn to do my 2s. will do one of the run sessions tomoro either the 2s or the 6s, if the weather is good will do the 6s! think i need to start going for a few walks during the week, spend a lotta time sitting when u live so close to campus and the library :O

Advertisement