Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new plans ahead...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭roseybear

Did 600s yesterday, was a bit hesitant after the erg the night before and the weather was horrible so the first couple were a bit slow. Picked them up and got back to target pace.

Recovery still 1.50, think it drops next week

150s done today as might be doing a water session tomoro, numbers depending.

was actually 155s that i did which made sense as i was feeling light and quick yet was only getting 22sec, so was deffo hitting 21 or maybe quicker for 150

4x150 4 mins between each
    10min recovery
    4x80mtr, 30sec recovery

home

:D

nice rowing session today, was feeling a bit stressed so needed something tough but mentally easy to day.

4x200 1min recovery, 4x400 1min recovery 4x600 1min recover, 4x800 2min recovery, 2x600 2min recovery 2x400 2 min recovery 2x200 1min recovery

followed by 1min hard

ran down to the prk to do my hills - you know you're settling in to an area when u start recognising ppl or being recognised when u go out running. iv been spotted twice in the past week and have seen a couple of ppl i recognise. Felt good on the hills, will go the gym for a light circuit later and one the lads said hed show me some olympic lifts after :D

200s today was feeling my little circuit from yesterday and have being staying up late watching ****e on netflix so was harder than it needed to be. also very blustery. 8x200 45sec recovery, goal pace 33-34.

35, 33, 34, 33, 34, 33, 35, 32

150s and 80s today, was cold and windy but felt good. going home tomoro :)

Had a rough couple of days, had to wear a 24hr ecg last week which meant I couldn't have a full shower and ended up with a dose :( I had an exam this morning then and am really not happy with how it went. I know it's not the end of the world but am pissed cause I had time to go in to more detail leading up to the exam but I didn't.sooo annoyed with myself.

Did my 600s, first session after being off sick for a few days - 2.02, 2.02, 2.04, 2.05, 2.02, 1.58. 1.50 between each

having a bad week outside of training this week, still getting over my dose, exam went badly and now man trouble - they say it comes in 3s :(

back to my 150-450 session on the track this morn

felt horrific doing it but looked back at my old times and was the same or quicker, in particular for the 150. and my dad told me my 250 and 350 were the same times my sis did this week and shes fast :)

150 21sec 4min recov
    250 38sec 8 min recov
    350 56 sec 10min recov
    450 75sec

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Hi Roseybear,

I never realised this was a track log. Great to see another track log here. :D I'll definitely be following with interest.

What distances are you targeting? What are your PBs, and times you are targeting? You planning much racing over the summer? I assume you are with a club.

Best of luck.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Hi Roseybear,

I never realised this was a track log. Great to see another track log here. :D I'll definitely be following with interest.

What distances are you targeting? What are your PBs, and times you are targeting? You planning much racing over the summer? I assume you are with a club.

Best of luck.

if u have a read back a little you'll see why i may or may not be racing, so no races planned really. prob do 400s as im only training since jan and have done no mileage at all (although i do have a history of mileage so i might end up doing longer than 4s). yeh im with a club but havent trained with them in yrs - i don't train with them at all now as i live in the uk. My family runs the club so even if not training/competing i'll forever be with the club lol :P at the minute the aim is just to see what i can do. so to begin with it's to get sub 60sec for a 400 and see from there. my pbs are all from when i was 16-18yrs old so would like to update them (im 25 now) but also gotta be realistic, i start placement in 3 weeks and that might mess everything up.

• Advertisement

rest week is killing me.. im stressed with exams and with bf trouble and i just wanna eat crap, which i am but am not doing the training to burn it off :( tested my 1rm this week, squat is down to 77, deadlift down to 90, bench up to 57.5 and push press up slightly to 45. have a viral infection thats hanging around so that would prob explain the deadlift and squat. reckon i'll have a bodyweight bench by the end of the summer though :D

had a crappy couple of weeks - got a cold, had a down week to test my 1rm, had some conversations with the bf about the future which was not good for me in anyway (still dont know where i stand) and it got in to my head a bit, my anxiety flared up, had exams the next week, flew home, found out i failed one of my exams, didnt really feel like training and that mood continued until this weekend. Am back in the boro now as i start placement in the morning, so plan is to try and keep the training up (might be tricky with being in work so will just try my best), start doing revision for this re-sit exam and any prep work required for placement. Theres a couple of league 400s in the next few weeks so if im not feeling wrecked after placement i may do them.. will see. Main goal - keep the chin up :)

monday i did a quick weights session but it did hit the legs as the next day my hamstrings were giving out. tues eve i really didnt want to train so decided id run down to the track and race the 400 that was on instead! prob not ideal to race a 400 the day after doing squats and run a few miles to get to the track but i did it anyways and really enjoyed it. died a death after 100mtrs, just felt really ****e in the legs but oh well. am pretty tired now im back working mon-fri too but will carry on. was to be homeless in 10days but managed to get that sorted (at a price) and my bf has landed an interview over here next week so hes gonna come over for a long weekend.

didnt think id be up for any run sessions this week but managed to get myself together - did the 200s last night, first time in a while and it was painful. did my 600s this morn and it too was the first time in about 4 weeks and it too hurt! was windy and legs were tired and sore from yesterday but got through them - much slower than they shoulda been but at the same time i didnt push them as i just wanted to get through them! felt like such an accomplishment, and my little radio i usually run with has gone dead and iv left the charger in dublin so was even more of an accomplishment for me :D feeling a bit better about getting training done while on placement now, was gonna be a bit of an issue travel wise and that but have found a gym beside the hospital that is open before work so gonna go there some of the mornings so less stress in the eves and i can do some reading for placement

So a lot has happened since I last posted....where to start...

I started the last stretch of my college work in sept 2015, so was just doing the odd bit of running, nothing major. Then the new year hit, in Jan 2016 I started my 6months of clinical practice, my mum was diagnosed with breast cancer (she's fine now, 6months all clear) and then in the summer I got home from England and have been here in Dublin on and off, doing my research and going for job interviews.

Running wise I got back into it the start of September and have been going surprisingly well. I ran the Leinster novice xcountry as a training run (regretted deadlifting the day before a little but wasn't sacrificing training for the race) finishing 12th and am hoping to do the national novice in a couple of weeks! Haven't had the best of weeks as I got a nasty cold after the Leinster novice, then was back in England for job interviews so missed a few weeks of consistency but still happy with how am going.

Goals are to get my 800 time down to at least 2.16 or under and get my 1500 down to 4.40ish at least. Indoors will probably be my best shot cause il be moving to Birmingham in Feb/march to start my first job as a Physio and will be working full time and doing on call shifts so it might be a bit of getting used to. Hoping to join birchfield harriers when I'm there so that's a good group to be in with! Still lifting steel 3 times a week, running wise doing 5 sessions over 2 weeks, which includes 1200reps, hills, 2mile reps and a tempo run. Long run is up to between 10-12miles (depending who is with me) and then fitting in 1-2 easy 40mins a week. Really enjoying running ATM which is the important thing with me.

Because I'm back with the running, my rowing has taken a back seat - I had taken it up when I moved to the uk, won the north east regions and competed in national intervarsity with a very novice crew. I started training with commercial rowing club when I came home but I'm not sure if I can commit now and not sure if they'll want me if I'm leaving in Feb/March.

So that's where I'm at! Did an easy 9miles today as I've been off running since Sunday due to being over in Birmingham (interviews are very draining, and you only notice it after!). Will have either hills or 2mile reps this sat with a long run Sunday. Might look at introducing track soon as the indoor leagues start in about 6 weeks and would like to be a bit sharper for them

Deadlifting on friday went well, 6x4 reps at 85% (which for me is 85kg) and all the accessory stuff got done too. Little bit stiff this morning because of it but knew i'd warm up quick enough.

Off to the magazine hills this morning as jingle bells interrupted our Mary's hospital hill loop. We do a half mile loop at the magazine, starting over at the "castle", up and down the dips, right down the hill towards the carpark taking a sharp right up the humpback hill before you get to the carpark, down and left towards the carpark again, taking a left back to the bottom of the humpback hill, up it again, down, then straight up the hill in front of you back to the castle.

Aim is to run every 6 mins, so was roughly 3 mins on 3 mins off. Last time i did them i was hitting around 3.10 for them, this week i was averaging 3 mins so progress has been made. HR was going up to the 170s during it but after 90sec recovery i was back down to the 120s, getting down to about 115 before i started again. My legs felt fine during it (the gym helps with hills a lot) but my lungs got a good burn in them. I was recovering well between and was keeping them consistent so it was still within my capabilities.

Long run tommorrow, aiming for between 10-12miles. Next week won't be too taxing with the national novice on Sunday, so will do 6x1200 on tues then just some easy runs and get my weights done early in the week so i can just do a recovery jog friday and maybe a very very easy 30mins on sat before novice.

Went for an easy 5 miles with the bf sat eve, then today did a very very easy 10miles. Only got 3 days running this week, but still hitting the 30mile/week which I've made my minimum mileage per week. Was tired this morning when I got up so had to force myself a little bit to get out the door but it was a lovely morning so couldn't not go out.

Couldn't face doing the 6x1200 by myself today so ended up doing a 5k tempo, keeping the HR under 170, which I did except for the last 800 or so it was up around 173/174. Pace was averaging about 4.25/km I think, will have to have a look at the garmin. First km or 2 were slower, the 2nd half pace was around 4.15 or below. Heading down the country to do a few nights with the grandparents so will try squeeze an easy jog in tomoro then get back to do weights +/- a run thurs eve, run with weights Friday, off or a very easy 3miles sat then race Sunday.

Just a walk around the block today, down the country minding my granda and last night he was up every half hour so I got no sleep at all. Hopefully he doesn't sleep too much today and he sleeps tonight!!!

• Advertisement

Didn't have the best of week leading in to the novice this weekend, very little sleep, time of the month approaching and just feeling very meh. But I went up to Dundalk anyways to do it.

The course was not something that suited me, was too flat. Was a pretty quick pace throughout which would not suit where I'm at either but I got round and caught a few in the last stretch. Finished 36th individual and our team was 4th. That was frustrating as had we our full team 3rd was in our grasp but now one of our ladies is outta novice due to the Dublin team finishing first. Felt strong in the race but my lungs weren't able for it! So I have the power I just need some more endurance and more importantly speed endurance.

I had to take a quick trip back to England on Monday so Monday morning I did a very very easy 40mins-ish, then did a deadlift session that I missed last week on Monday night (main set was 5x5 at 80%).

Tuesday I was still in England so I did a bench sessions (6x4 at 85% for the main set) and flew home late Tuesday night.

This afternoon I did a squat session (6X4 at 85%) and tonight did a very easy hour, about 7miles or so. Going to either do a tempo or a long run tomoro and try make a boot camp class tomorrow eve cause I haven't been in ages and need to discuss our plans for the gym night out this weekend! Trying to catch up on some sleep (which isn't going well judging by what time it is now, and I'm up at 6.30ish) but maybe tomorrow night will be better.

Changing it up now for the next few weeks, I've got out my mums training plans from 1985 and going to do it for the next little while, leading in to indoors.

This morning was to do reps of the triangle at Mary's hospital in the park, which is 800m (775m if we're trying to be picky). Had thought maybe I'd aim for 2.50, running every 5 mins, and aim for 5. Was a trial and error type session, just getting a feel for things. One of the dads offered to do them with me, he's an experienced marathoner, and was great to train with. whenever he was pulling away he slowed down so that I was always within a stride or 2 of him and he pulled me along.

First rep was too fast so felt it on the 3rd rep but was a good session.
    2.44, 2.50, 2.53, 2.48, 2.46. Was recovering well between them, felt strong just will take another session to get used to the pace. Going to do the same next week, them up it to 6. Will try and keep them at 2.50 or less. Aim will be to get them all at 2.40, if it was earlier in the year I'd prob work up to 8 but time might be against me. Will see.

Was extremely hungover from my gym night out Saturday so Sunday was a complete right off, didn't get out of bed (and that's not an exaggeration).

Monday was in the gym, should have gone for a run too but was gently easing in after the hangover. Weights were 4x6 @80% for squats (60kg, 63kg bw) and they felt good.

Went for a very very easy 30mins earlier today to shake the cobwebs off. Have had a tickle in my throats all day so wasn't sure how training would go but went down this eve anyways. Others were coming off a break so were just doing 4-5 reps but said I'd stick to the usual 6x1200, 1min recovery, do the first 2 by myself and the last 4 with the others.

Did the first far too quick so felt it by rep 5 but got through them and felt ok, had another in me anyways:
    4.35, 4.47, 4.48, 4.50, 4.48, 4.47.

Last time I did these they were all 5mins, so was good to kick it up a notch. Might try for 4.45 steady for all of them next week if we're doing the same.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Good to see you back logging - just spotted your log there again yesterday. Good result in National Novice - big field this year

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mulberry

roseybear wrote: »

Did the first far too quick so felt it by rep 5 but got through them and felt ok, had another in me anyways:
    4.35, 4.47, 4.48, 4.50, 4.48, 4.47.

Last time I did these they were all 5mins, so was good to kick it up a notch. Might try for 4.45 steady for all of them next week if we're doing the same.

I'm a master, I train with masters and I think a lot of people on boards are masters (especially the women) so reading your times for those reps makes my eyes water! Feelings of complete inadequacy are quickly brushed away as I remind myself you're about 20 years younger than me, thank god :p

Your log is just fascinating to read - keep it up roseybear!

• Advertisement

Good to see you back logging - just spotted your log there again yesterday. Good result in National Novice - big field this year

Yeah was huge, one of our girls was in the 30s last year and was back in the 60s this year, tough enough standard this year! Ended up sick for a few days after it so I was probably brewing something at the time but was happy enough all the same. :)

Mulberry wrote: »
    I'm a master, I train with masters and I think a lot of people on boards are masters (especially the women) so reading your times for those reps makes my eyes water! Feelings of complete inadequacy are quickly brushed away as I remind myself you're about 20 years younger than me, thank god :p

Your log is just fascinating to read - keep it up roseybear!

Lol, there's plenty of masters who would kick my ass I'm sure! Definitely over xcountry and on the road anyways!! :D

Should have listened to my body on tues and just took it easy but I didn't and have been dosed ever since. Took wed and thurs off completely, hoping to do an easy 40mins and / or a gym session later today, prob give the session a miss tomorrow and just do an easy run, then hopefully a long run Sunday and back to normal Monday. Am doing the shot putt in the indoor leagues (as a result of my weight training I'm pretty strong now) so gotta get out to santry for a bit of practice :D

Managed 30mins easy yesterday and felt loads better, went down to the gym just to do the main sets of bench and deadlift to keep me on track and felt good, them I lay down to go to sleep and it all started again :mad: coughed all night.

Walked the dog today and left it at that cause I really want to do a few miles tomoro! Feel better again so hoping it stays this way! Going to have an early night for the first time in a while and see how I am in the morning.

Xmas day did just shy of 9 miles And today I did 8miles easy. Back to sessions tomorrow morning, am taking it easy for the rest of today cause am still a bit chesty, have been invited out to the traditionally McGowan's Stephens night with all the girls from school but think it's more important for me to go to sleep at a reasonable hour.

• Advertisement

Was still feeling a bit iffy tues so just did my gym session and a very easy 30 mins. Wed did my bench session and yesterday did my first hills session since before the novice (oops).

The group are at the stage now where if you miss a couple of sessions you've started loosing ground so gotta make sure I don't miss any. Went to Mary's hospital to do our usual hill loop, it's roughly 900m. Usually do 6 running every 6.5mins but I called it a day at 5 as the times started to drop and was feeling pretty cooked anyways. Times were quicker than the last time I did it so was happy enough - 3.54, 3.54, 3.55, 3.55, 4.00. Usually do them around 4.08-4.10 so definite improvement.

Did my deadlifts that evening as I've to go down the country for the day, have my gear with me so might get an easy trot in, if not il try squeeze in 40mins when I get home tonight.

Was out in santry this morning for an intro back to the track, just did 10x200'with a minute recovery, just fast strides, keeping them between 35-37 sec. felt grand, gonna do a run this eve to keep the miles up. Looking forward to hitting the track hard in the coming weeks.

Went for an easy long run on Sunday, about 9miles or so. Legs were in ribbons from the track on Saturday so plodded around.

Monday was in the gym, we're starting to peak now as we're testing our lifts in a couple of weeks so it was 3x85%, 2x90% and 1x95% for squats with the usual assistive stuff.

Today it was back to the zoo corner for our usual 1200s and trying to avoid the traffic from the civil service runners... I get very agro when ppl keep getting in the way when they're doing a cool down on the same path as you and your in the middle of a session.... but no major incidents to report lol. Down in numbers this week so did all the reps by myself, did 6x1200 with min recovery again. Reps were 4.52, 4.48, 4.50, 4.50, 4.48, 4.45. Did a long warm up (just over 5k) cause we thought it'd be cold but it was actually grand! Means I got a fair few miles in, but I seriously pigged out today so no harm. (My dissertation is due on Monday!! So comfort eating has been key today).

Going to head to the track for a fast session this week, haven't decided which day yet, probably Saturday! And might get a tempo in during the week if I'm feeling all good :)

Easy 5 miles yesterday eve and easy 10k this morn. My legs were knackered!! So really plodded around. I'm trying to up my mileage to 40 a week, so think il go for 35 this week and next week and then up to 40 by the end of the month. Sitting at roughly 35k (just over 20miles I think) so far, will do 8-10 on Sunday and 5 Saturday so I'm up to date and will take tomorrow off from running and just do my gym session.

Today's gym session was Benching, 1x95% 1x2x90% 2x3x85%. Felt good, was happy with how it was. Deadlifting tomorrow then track Saturday :D

Out in santry to try out a new session. 3 sets of 200, 400, 200, 30sec between the 2 and 4 and 1min between the 4 and 2, 5mins between sets. Aim was to do about 34-35 for the 200 and 74ish for the 400.

Set 1 34, 74, 35
    Set 2 33, 75, 35
    Set 3 33, 75, 35.

Felt strong but not used to speed at all yet!! Could have probably pushed through the pain to do another set but times would have dropped. In hindsight I should probably have taken 45sec and 90sec for the recovery and got them faster, but had never done it before so was a bit of a trial and error session.

Sunday was an easy 8ish miles.

Monday was in the gym, did 2x1 at 97.5% in squats, failed the 3rd set and then 1x3 @85%, plus a little assist work.

Today was back out in santry to do the first 3x3x200, 30 sec recovery session of the season. This session used to be my staple session around track season, but haven't done it in a year or so now. Was very windy for the 2nd 200 in each set and went too hard for the very first rep, but again I felt strong just not used to going fast.

set 1 31, 34, 33
    set 2 33, 33, 34
    set 3 33, 35, 34

Could probably have done another set and still been ok with times, but would most definitely have puked. Took 5 mins between sets and did 3x60 sprints after to get rid of the lactic.

my mileage will be down this week due to doing this session instead of the 1200s, and due to running an 800 this sat in the first of the indoor leagues. I had been hoping for around 2.20 in that, but would be happy with sub 2.25 at this time. Am doing a night shift tomorrow so that'll reduce the mileage further so going to try get out for about 8 tomorrow and maybe another 8 thurs so then if i do 5 sat eve after the race and 10 on sunday i should be up around the 32ish miles this week. Which is ok due to whats going on this week.

Just ran the easiest 800 race I've ever done!! But I'll get to that.

On Wednesday I got called to work a night shift so I slept all day, didn't train and went in to work. Thursday I was in the gym deadlifting up to 95% my max, Friday did nothing and then today had the first of the indoor leagues.

I was down to do the 800 and was advised to go tactical and just get the points for the team. Went through the 1st 200 in about 32-33, 400 split was 70, not sure what the next one was but the next 400 was 72 giving a total of 2.22 and 3rd place. I felt soooo strong. Easily knock 5 seconds off that, I just had no confidence in my strength. With 300 left I was tempted to push on, and again at 150 I was considering just going for it but I didn't know how my body would react to that so didn't. People were coming up to me after saying they thought I'd have won it but was a confidence builder for sure feeling so comfortable. Could have done a session shortly after I felt that good.

Looking forward to the 1500 the next weekend, I reckon there's a low 4.50 in there if it's the right race for me.

Easy 90mins today. I had very low mileage and movement in general this week and wasn't sticking to good foods, and was feeling it a bit. Was looking at some of the pics from racing yesterday and felt I looked unfit, stepped on the scales to see today and I'm down almost a kg since I checked last. Not sure what is going on with my body but I'd say it's stress related.

My goal when I came home in July/august was to get down to 9.5 stone (I'm 61.7kg so slightly over 9.5 stone) and I'm pretty much there now. I didn't think it was realistic to go any lower than that as I've put muscle on since I used to race but I think I could be looking at getting down to what my race weight used to be, which is 58kg ish. I need to get back to prepping my meals this week as I feel that I'm not getting enough good food (eating a lot of convieniance stuff this past couple of weeks, I need my vitamins and more importantly some iron!!)

Did an easy 5miles yesterday to get me out of the house and keep the mileage up. Great session tonight down at the zoo corner, was by myself for all the reps but had other runners to chase down.

Wore my hr monitor just to check in on where I was, hadn't worn it in a while. Again it was 6x1200, 1min recovery. Hr was about 170 after all except the last was 176, was back in the 130s and falling when it was time to run again.

Reps were 4.47, 4.49, 4.48, 4.45, 4.48, 4.38. Happy with that! Did a long cool down after.

Haven't got any gym sessions yet but I think I'll be testing my max lifts this week so not in any rush to get there, might try get in tomorrow.

Tested in the gym yesterday, squat was up to 77.5kg, prob was more in the tank but didn't want to shag myself for the rest of the week.

Bench I bypassed 60kg (my previous max) as 57.5 was a bit ropey and said I may as well save my energy and go for 62.5kg which I failed, so body weight bench will have to wait.

Easy 10k today to just get some miles in.

• Advertisement

Out to santry today!!

New type of session, 3min recovery between each run and the reps were 2x400, 2x200, 2x400, 2x200. Was supposed to be 1500m pace which would be 74/75 for the 400 and 34/35 for the 200 but after 3 min recovery was well able to go faster. Aim will be to bring the times down but keep the recovery at 3 mins.

Times were 70, 74, 35, 33, 70, 72, 34, 33. Felt very comfortable and strong. Looks like I'm doing the 1500 in the league race based off this weeks training, as if someone goes out hard I could prob latch on and hang in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Impressive stuff. You look well setup to have a cracking year. Well done on the 8 too.

El Caballo wrote: »
    Impressive stuff. You look well setup to have a cracking year. Well done on the 8 too.

Thanks! I'm making the most of it before I move to the UK and start a new job, I'm hoping if I get a good grounding done now that if things are messey when I move over even if I have to put running on the back burner for a few weeks I can get it back easily enough.

Also genetics is a great thing :D

Easy 10miles this morning, might look at increasing that run in the coming weeks.

Forgot to say, I tried out the long jump when I was out in santry yesterday as we need someone for the indoor leagues. Haven't done it since I was 14 or 15 but came back to me pretty easily, should clear 4m pretty handy as I jumped at least that post track session yesterday. Going to try the shot putt soon too to see can I beat 8m as that's what my sister threw and she's the other contender. We need someone for the triple jump too, don't know if I might get ask to do that if my shot putt isn't too good but will see.

Monday I was in the gym doing high volume squats. Was on nights mon and tues so didn't do anything tues.

Today I just did a very very easy 30 mins, stiff as a board from the weights Monday and then being on nights. Hopefully feel back to myself tomorrow to do some fast runs over 120-150m and a long cool down before the race Saturday

Easy jog to the park to do a few sprints today and jog home. Just trying to wake the legs up again, slept right through my alarm today, still recovering from nights!!

Bit disappointed after that 1500, but it was a learning curve.

Was advised to go tactical again, so I hung on to the shoulder of the front 2.. me and all the rest! Was too quick for me at this stage, first 400 was 75 next was 76, was grand until 1000 then the legs gave up. Not used to using my elbows either, I let 2 ppl just go through me rather than fight over position, yes they were both flying and I'd no chance of staying with them and the risk of falling was growing with each second but in hindsight I should have just held position rather than be bullied out.

Finished in 5th or 6th, time was 4.56 which is ok-ish but a bit disappointed all the same. It's especially annoying when ppl who you cruise by in training run a faster time because they were in the guest race. But as I keep being reminded, I was chasing points and not times.

Don't know if I'm racing next weekend and if so don't know if I'm doing the 8 or 15... I may be doing the long jump and triple jump too. Will find out this week.

Bit dramatic but had one of those days where I had to remind myself why I do what I do. I didn't enjoy anything about yesterday's race. I didn't do it for me, I was doing it for the team and I felt I didn't perform and let the team down - this is one of the reasons I couldn't hack competing, I get very hard on myself. When I do it for myself and for my own goals it's not as bad, but when the pressures on i just become an a**hole to myself when it doesn't meet my expectations.

Got out for a run eventually this eve and did a nice hour with one of the lads, voiced things out with him and felt better for it. League team has been decided and I'll be doing the 800 in it. so I'm not doing any night shifts this week, getting my weights done early in the week and going to try to get to bed on time - haven't been getting to sleep before 1am much the past 2-3 weeks. This day next week il be in the uk preparing to present the final part of my masters!! Can't believe it's finally here :D all going well, I should be finished and passed on the 16th Feb... feeling dodge about my written assessment but fingers crossed I'm just over reacting.

Did my squats yesterday, and feeling it a bit today but got on with it.

One of the coaches in the gym is trying to get fit for hurling so I brought him over to Mary's hospital and then to the magazine hills to show him the loops I do, jogged one of each so he knows them and headed home - easy easy 9k in total.

This evening had the club session, knew it was going to be slightly less 1200s due to the races this weekend so didn't mind doing the easy mileage earlier today. Was supposed to do some hill sprints after, but I'm happy to go out to santry to do some fast strides on the track tomorrow which some ppl weren't up for so I skipped them and headed on home.

4x1200s, 1 min recovery. Was alone again with ppl to chase after so times were a little all over the place. Legs still feeling the squats so might arrange a massage this week. Times were 4.41, 4.38, 4.44, 4.34. Really felt the last one at the 800 mark but concentrated on easing the breathing and relaxing the shoulders and got comfortable again.

• Advertisement

Wednesday jogged to the park and did some fast strides, yesterday did an easy 4 miles (the weather was horrible) and today I'm just going to go for a walk before the race tomorro.

Advertisement