Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new plans ahead...

123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭roseybear

800 went well today, time wasn't anything to phone home about (2.23) but the race was very good, and I finished 2nd getting the team some needed points!

We won the team event overall, with everyone performing to their best (besides a DQ in the sprint, but luckily we had enough points to protect us).

Probably won't get a run in tomorrow as I'm heading to the uk, next race is hopefully Leinster indoors at the end of the month so may change things up a bit in the coming weeks.

At the zoo corner tonight, change in session this week, the rest of the group had been alternating between 1200s one week and 3 sets of 1200/400/800 each week but I kept missing the 1200/400/800 session so was a bit of trial and error for me tonight.

Watch was acting up, so estimated some of the reps. 1min between reps with 5 mins between sets.
    Set 1: 4.33, 85 sec, 3mins
    Set 2: 4.36, 87sec, 3mins
    Set 3, 4.44, 80, 2.56

The last set was the only one that was 100% accurate, my 1200s are accurate in all sets but estimated a little for the 400 and 800 in set 1 and 2. Need to do the 4 and 8 quicker, I tended to keep it similar pace to the 1200, so it might mean taking the 1200 down a notch - the last set was prob the way they all should be. Felt good though

Wednesday I took the day off as was sick, Thursday gymed, Friday did an easy 5k then flew to London to see the other half.

Saturday did a 5k tempo with 8 hill sprints and a gym session.
    Sunday did 10miles easy in London.

Monday was back in the gym again, this morning I did an easy 6miles and then tonight we are heading to the new indoor track to do some speed stuff!

I'm not doing the nationals this weekend but will be doing the leinsters the following weekend so wouldn't mind a "balls to the wall" type session. Due to bookings on the track were not training til 8pm which might be a shock to the system running that late, but were booking a morning slot next week as its midterm so will get a pukey session then if I don't get one tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mulberry

roseybear wrote: »
    tonight we are heading to the new indoor track to do some speed stuff!

Snap! We're also booked in for 8pm. Come say hi! You'll see me warming up on the 110m sprint track over to the side from 7.30 or so.

(My real name is Roisin, sshhhhh :cool:)

Mulberry wrote: »
    Snap! We're also booked in for 8pm. Come say hi! You'll see me warming up on the 110m sprint track over to the side from 7.30 or so.

Oh yeah I remember now reading you were a Dunboyne athlete! Tallaght got the 7pm slot so we're sharing with you guys! Il be the one with the short blonde hair and glasses (Susie). :)

• Advertisement

Something about the indoor track just makes you run so much quicker. Had a bit of a disagreement with the coach over what way to run the session so I just did what I felt I needed to do and started at the back of the group to avoid messing up the flow of the whole group.

Session was 2x400, 2x200, 2x400 2x200, 3 mins between reps.

Died on the 2nd round of 400s but pulled it back together after taking it easy for one of the reps. Still have a lactic headache now but loved going fast again.

Times were 65, 65, 31, 31, 67 (the lactic wall hit me) 72) ran with the rest of the group so was more reserved and felt good) 32, 32.

Love that track. So easy to run on. Briefly met Mulberry up there (nice to put a face to the name) and bumped into someone I knew from my childhood days (her aunt who was an excellent runner is a very dear friend of my mums and we all used to holiday together, hadn't seen her in at least 9 years!! But knew who she was straight away). Might meet up with her for some easy jogs in the coming weeks, be good to have company in getting the mileage up before I move to Birmingham.

Sorry didn't get to chat too much, between chatting to Emer and trying not to vomit there wasn't much room for anything else!!! Nice to meet you though! how did you find the track?

Sorry didn't get to chat too much, between chatting to Emer and trying not to vomit there wasn't much room for anything else!!! Nice to meet you though! how did you find the track?

I LOVE that track. It's even fun running the banks. Fast fun! We just did time trials last night so not too much running, 60m and 200m. I'm not quite where I want to be just yet but am hoping it will all come together in time for the Leinsters - and the national masters the following week.

Brilliant to be able to go along to the NIA though, whenever we want really - it's an amazing facility to have on our doorstep.

Was that amazing hurdler in your club? The one doing reps on the 60 stretch? I could have sat and watched her all day, she was so strong and fluid and fast!

Well done on your session btw, looked gruelling!

Was that amazing hurdler in your club? The one doing reps on the 60 stretch? I could have sat and watched her all day, she was so strong and fluid and fast!

Well done on your session btw, looked gruelling!

the one in black with the hair tied up in 2 buns? That would be my sister, my dad is her coach, he was the one doing the drills with all the group in the shot putt area. She's going really really well this year, has got a pb in the 60 hurdles, the 200 and the 400 so far which is brill as she had a really horrid year with injury last year. She's racing in the athlone Grand Prix tonight, the seniors this weekend and the Leinsters so you'll prob see a lot of her in the coming weeks haha.

If you think she's impressive over 60 hurdles you should see her in a 200!!!!!! :O

the one in black with the hair tied up in 2 buns? That would be my sister, my dad is her coach, he was the one doing the drills with all the group in the shot putt area. She's going really really well this year, has got a pb in the 60 hurdles, the 200 and the 400 so far which is brill as she had a really horrid year with injury last year. She's racing in the athlone Grand Prix tonight, the seniors this weekend and the Leinsters so you'll prob see a lot of her in the coming weeks haha.

If you think she's impressive over 60 hurdles you should see her in a 200!!!!!! :O

Ha! No way! A very talented family obviously. Keep forgetting to ask - what's your club? And what's your sister's name? I will keep an eye out for her.

• Advertisement

Ha! No way! A very talented family obviously. Keep forgetting to ask - what's your club? And what's your sister's name? I will keep an eye out for her.

Club is DCH, Catherine McManus is her name :)

Wednesday I was at the gym, thurs did an easy 5k in Monaghan and Friday I took off.

Saturday I did hills, 3x1 lap (4min runs) and then on the last run I combined 2 laps (8.30mins) as I just wanted to get home.

Sunday did 8miles easy.

Monday I took off as feeling a little off and had work to do.

This morning I was up at abbotstown again for something fast before Leinster, aim was to do 6x200 with 3 min off but legs were goosed after 3, managed another 1 then did 2x150s instead.
    Times were 28 (oops), 30, 30, 32 and the 150s were 21 and 21. Jogged home which is just shy of 4 miles.

Back to bed for the day as I'm on nights the next 2 nights!

Just did weights wed and thurs, and am pretty sore after Wednesday's ones!

After 2 years, I got the results, I've finally reached the end of my masters and am now a qualified Physio. Still doesn't seem real, am relieved to be finished but still feel like a nurse so looking forward to going to Birmingham and starting work!

Congratulations on your masters! Must feel amazing to have it in the bag after two years. No more studying!

Congratulations on your masters! Must feel amazing to have it in the bag after two years. No more studying!

It hasn't really sunk in yet but am relieved for sure :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Club is DCH, Catherine McManus is her name :)

Damn, you weren't kidding when you said genetics are a great thing:D

Congrats on the masters.

El Caballo wrote: »
    Damn, you weren't kidding when you said genetics are a great thing:D

Congrats on the masters.

Haha yeah it definitely helps when it's in the blood!! Now if we were to use my mums maiden name we'd really have some big shoes to fill!!!

Thanks a mil :)

Friday did some easy strides and felt ****.

Saturday did an easy run, was looking to do 45/50mins, 8 miles later I arrived home but felt soooooo much better after.

Today had the Leinster indoors, was hoping to try and get a good time in the 800 but the way the race went it was a fight for position from gun to tape so not ideal for times!! The elbows were out in force!!!! Finished 4th, with 2.21 as my time but was soooo strong over the last 150, and really held my own within the group. Really enjoyed it, not happy with the time, but really good fun.

Monday did an easy 15/20mins then got on the plane to Birmingham.

Tuesday I went to meet birchfield harriers where I am hoping to join when I move. I met the vice chair of coaching who said one of the coaches was interested in taking me on so that meant I could join the club. He didn't know if the coach would be there or not, but low and behold, just as I was about to leave in he walked.

Was initially a very intimidating conversation - asked me what i wanted and told him the times I wanted to hit, want a senior medal, and he said "no, I'm gonna tell you what the answer to that question is and it's you want to be the best". So that told me. Weather was absolutely awful so he planned an improvised session for indoors (25m, 50, 75, 110, 110, 75, 50, 25, x2). Has a junior and a senior group but only the juniors were there so jumped in with them. Wasn't expecting to train but sure I was there. After the first couple of runs he told me I run like a sprinter which he says is better than running like a jogger, so that was ok. Gave me some tips like move my arms more and relax my shoulders but then also told me I have potential so that helped me relax a bit.

Had a little chat after, advised that I get my weight under 60kg, which it was usually when I raced previously, take iron as my O2 sats were a bit down and very very gradually work up to 60miles a week, increasing my long run to 12miles and do a park run every week. Was happy that I carried on with my own gym stuff a couple of times a week as he said I looked strong with no obvious weaknesses when I ran. Said we'll give it 6 weeks, see how things go and either continue on or he will find me a coach in or outside the club. Said he'd tell it how it is, and I believe him!!!! Remembers my mum from years ago too lol.

Bloody hell that sounds like a job interview! Or worse! I've never heard anything like that about an athletic club, but I guess they do have a fantastic image to maintain. Best of luck with it, how cool it'll be to train there!

• Advertisement

Wednesday I took off, was wrecked after travelling!! Thursday did an easy job, Friday I took off, Saturday did an easy 8ish miles and Sunday did an easy 9miles.

I'm dosed with a cold (what's new) so taking it easy this week and hope to start bringing back in gym sessions. Yesterday did an easy 40 in the morning and an easy 45 in the evening without my orthotics and feel grand today so the weaning off process is ok so far! And managed to do just shy of 10miles between the 2 runs without too much stress on the body, actually really enjoyed them.

I'm now a registered Physio and have to tell my new employer, but at the same time I don't want to as it brings the move closer! I'm looking forward to it but it is a bit nerve wracking.

Took tues wed and thurs off as my cold was still lingering and had stuff to do anyways!

Fri did an easy 9miles, Saturday an easy 5miles and sun an easy 5miles.

Mon I was back in the gym and just did something easy to ease back in to it - and was still bloody sore after it!!

Tonight I was back at the zoo corner but cause I haven't done a session since the Leinster I said I'd aim for 4 instead of 6 and see how it went. I did them too quick for a first session back but felt good. Called it at 4 as I could have done more but the lactic had kicked in, which wasn't the purpose of the session.

Times were 4.36, 4.38, 4.38, 4.50 (woops), 1 min recovery. Felt good, definitely felt like I hadn't done them in a while but strong at the same time. I'm prob a little heavier ATM as I've been pigging out a little which prob wouldn't help, but that'll go quick.

Wed I did an easy jog and a bench session in the gym.

Thurs was deadlifts and started feeling a cold brewing AGAIN!?!?

Friday did an easy 70mins.

Sorting out things for when I move away!! T-3 days now!!

Saturday was short fast hills (almost puked but didn't) and today was an easy 10miles - really plodded round but got there!

Monday eve I just did an easy 30mins, was busy packing up all day as moving day has finally arrived! Moving to Birmingham today, so will probably take today and tomorrow off, then will be easy jogs and gym work the rest of the week u til I get my bearings.

Had a lovely evening in the Lord Mayors residence last night, we were invited for a little reception to celebrate winning the women's title in the national indoor league.

Haven't had access to boards in a while due to my broadband in my place in Birmingham, home in Dublin this weekend!! Jumped into the AAI games while I was here and did the 800, 2.21.03, annoyed I didn't dip into the 2.20 or under some but today was just a guide, to see where I was at.

So I moved to Birmingham and started working at the QE hospital. I was on a neurosurgery ward until the official rotations started so 3 weeks ago I joined the rotational scheme and I'm now in the outpatient gym. I joined birchfield harriers, so have a new coach with them. Goals ATM are to get fitter, up mileage and lose some weight. Will do some races to see where I'm at and assess what I need to do, but main race aims are next year (2.10 for 800, sub 4.40 for 1500).

I'm up to 40miles a week, one track session a week and a fartlek every other week. Have done 4 weeks of this and Going good so far, I'm comfortably running 30sec 200s and 67/68 for my 400s. Another 6 weeks of it and will see where I'm at then. Will be moving up to 60 miles/week gradually after the summer.

I can see a trend occurring of me posting whenever I'm back in Ireland.

Couple of races in the UK, a 2.20 a few weeks back and a 2.17 last weekend which I was delighted about. Another 2.20 tues which I was not happy about and 2.19 today in the national seniors, which again I was not happy about - was far too much left in the tank.

I've moved up to 2 sessions a week the past few weeks, still at 40miles, this Monday it goes up to 2 sessions and 45miles and my s+c which had been dropped to 1 session a week will go back to 2. So after a few weeks of racing it's time to up the pressure again. Have another race the 5th august and then that will be it for a while! May or may not be doing xcountry, will do it for a team bt not as an individual. I'm really really enjoying racing which I never used to, so long may that continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Well done. (from a position of no expertise) those are great times to be running and can only imagine they'll improve. No harm to be training with Birchfield harriers either :).

UPDATE

Been a while since I've looked at this. The rest of August went by uneventful, took 2 weeks off at the start of sept which was desperately needed from a mental point of view rather than a physical point of view. Started back 2nd week of sept at 30miles a week, working up week by week to 50miles for 4 weeks and have now dropped back down. I did the first of the road relays in the UK, the open x-country in abbotstown, the first of the x-country relays in the uk and the first of the midlands x-country leagues. All went ok, feels strange not doing heavy hill work, i've been on the track since the start of october! sessions are 200s, 300s, 400s or a pyramid, also do a fartlek and sometimes a tempo. Physically it's feeling easier now the miles are down but mentally I could do with a week off!!! Work is mental atm too which isn't helping. 

Had some aches and pains in the knees and calf when the mileage was high so have a physio appointment next month with the Sports and Exercise Medicine service in the hospital. Hoping to get on top of any weaknesses before the miles go up again. After x-mas they will creep back up and will be looking at hitting 60/week. Will do the national indoors at home and maybe the leagues and a few BMC ones. And then off to altitude for the first time end of March!!! Which I'm very excited about.

• Advertisement

Did jingle bells when I was home at the weekend, 18.14 for a 30sec pb. And I thought I was fit when I ran it the last time, good sign for the track season!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Did jingle bells when I was home at the weekend, 18.14 for a 30sec pb. And I thought I was fit when I ran it the last time, good sign for the track season!! :D

Great going shows good bit of strength work out in over the winter. Will definitely stand to you

Great going shows good bit of strength work out in over the winter. Will definitely stand to you

Thanks! Was a bit unsure of how I was going to be as it was a very different winter season than I’m used to, but it’s obviously doing the trick!

Home for New Years!!

So had a very busy few weeks, working football games at the weekend, working my first on call shift, working over Xmas, lots of snow in Brumm but finally got home.

Miles are down, as was planned, track sessions quicker though. Went to the indoor arena in abbotstown thurs for150s (all about 22 sec, 2 min recovery) and today went to santry to do 300 (2x3x300, 3 min between reps, 8 between sets) and did 50,51,50,49,51,51. Very windy and by myself so am happy with those times.

Have started going to Physio, had a few niggles when my mileage had gone up that I wanted looked at so we have a few things to sort. I had what was either sciatica or a hamstring prob this week out of the blue so will have to get that looked at during my appointment next week. Mileage goes back up next week, so will enjoy this last easy week before the madness starts again!! It’s hard to fit 50miles in when you work full time!!

Have had an ongoing sore throat/sinus infection, that I first got back in Nov and it keeps reappearing every few weeks! This time it’s not going away so I think I’ll finally have to go get antibiotics. Since New Years it just hasn’t shifted! I’m supposed to be at the end of week 2 of my training cycle but I’ve had to push it back so am on week one still. Had a Physio appointment last week Nd was black and blue after it, advised not to run for a few days. Said I’ve extremely tight claves and tight in the lats and around my ribs so she tried to work it out..which hurt..but felt better for it. Back again in a few weeks to see her.

Still crazy busy, covered some extra football shifts and an on-call shift so I’m pushing the boundary a bit! On for 45 miles this week even with all that, have to do 11miles tomorrow to get the 45 and fit a gym session in - hoping I don’t get a call from the hospital tonight! I’m home the weeeknd of the 2nd indoor league but I’m getting laser eye surgery that week so don’t think I’ll be recovered enough for it, I’ll still be home for the final and the AAI games so hoping I can run at least one of them.

Really looking forward to being home as I’m exhausted but really anxious too about getting my eyes down! I’m really anxious in general the past week, I think it’s due to that I’ve started a new rotation in work, my boyfriend has moved over and moved in with me and I get worried about the kids I look after in football in case I missed something - I’m not used to football yet and panic when they head the ball or tackle head and there was a lot of that today!

Got my antibiotics last weekend, finished them on Thursday and the lead that was attached to my legs the past few weeks is finally gone!! Still have a bit of the sniffles and that but at least my tonsils have stopped swelling and I can move again!

Did a 300m session on the track during the week and wasn’t quite at pre-Xmas levels but wasn’t awful either. Don’t think the indoors will go as planned with the recent illness interruptions and the high mileage im coming in to (50miles this coming week) but it’s a long time til august and plenty of races between now and then. 5 sleeps til I go home!! Can’t wait to be looked after for a little while

• Advertisement

Came home on Thursday and got laser eye surgery Friday and was told to go easy for a few days so I am laid up for another day or so 😩 have entered the AAI games anyways, won’t do me any harm. Eyes still pretty uncomfortable but should ease in the coming days

Have been ticking away past couple of months! Had a nice break away in Portugal, training away on the track, ran the regional UK road relays a few weeks back and went well, have the nationals this weekend and then the Irish nationals the following weekend. Really busy with work but my next rotation will be based at a hydrotherapy unit so will be a lot slower and relaxed which will be nice! Could do with a break from the stress of an acute hospital!

Just about to start phase 5 of training, miles going down and quality going up! Am about where I was in July of last year so it’s nice to be ahead going in to the outdoor season. Speed hasn’t clicked in yet but strength and fitness is definitely there. Looking forward to hopefully getting the qualifier for the BMC this season which will increase my eligibility for races massively!

Diet was much improved due to lent, so need to get back on that now I’ve enjoyed a couple of weeks of the things I’d given up! Also need to focus on my sleep more as I haven’t been sleeping well the past few weeks!

Advertisement