Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Appeal process for Road traffic fine

• 25-04-2013 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi,
    I have received a phone call on last saturday from garda station telling me that they have an warrant on my name for a traffic fine for not having road tax on a car that I owned in November 15, 2011. She told me I have an option to pay a fine of 180 euro or go to prison. I asked her for the details of the car regitration and address of the fine was sent to. I could confirm that I owned that car that time and it probably went due on road tax for a month or two which I could not recall. ( I was not stopped by Garda that is why I was not aware of the possible fines. I only took the car few times to the garage to get it fixed for NCT, didn't really driving around. But I know that is not an excuse)

I have moved out from my previous address in May 2011. That car registration address was not updated after I have moved in to my current address. I sold the car to garage as I was having a hard time t fix it for NCT. Apparently the fine notice was sent to my old address, so were the court notifications and final summons. I only heard about the whole thing after I received the phone call from the garda. I called in to the garda station for more details. Garda on the desk adviced me that I could go to District Court for a rehearing date.
    Went to District court and the Clerk told me that a summon has been served me(to my old address, which I never received). and it could not be re-heared. She gave me a for to apply for an extension of time to appeal. Went on court two days later and Judge give 14 days time to appeal. He also add €250 recongnisance which I do not understand. I was given apeal form which are also farily complicated for me. I don't have a solicitor and cannot afford one to be honest.
    What should I with this case? Should just pay the fine €180 or proceed with appeal? What will be the outcome of the appeal?
    I would very much like to get cleared my name fromm the court convictions as the whole thing went ahead of me not knowing of it. If I have had recieved the fine notice I would have paid it right away.
    Any advice would be highly appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

You said yourself that you had no tax. So why appeal at all. You admitted you were wrong. Just pay the fine and I think. Especially if you are going to court without a solicitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,753 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

You're not allowed to seek legal advice in this forum. Please read the forum Charter before posting here again.

I'm leaving the replies there because they're not legal advice but they are good advice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement