Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brownlee to run straight 10km

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭king size mars bar

he will prob do 40/50km on the bike for a warm up!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

I read somewhere that he's hoping to do the 10km at the next Commonwealth games. Interested to see how he does here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Payton Jordan is always a wicked fast race and usually used by many to hit A standards for that seasons championships

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

His 10k time in Olympic Tri would have placed him pretty well in in 10k track final if I remember correct?

Clearly not quite the same thing, but it will be really interesting to see what he can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 enzeder

griffin100 wrote: »
    I read somewhere that he's hoping to do the 10km at the next Commonwealth games. Interested to see how he does here.

I heard that too. Would not be surprised to see him on a trainer at the side of the track to warm up on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭delboyfagan

I talked to a top middle distance runner about Brownlee and he just absolutely broke his **** laughing at the fact that some triathletes even considered that he could fight it out with Mo over a 10km race.

I talked to a top middle distance runner about Brownlee and he just absolutely broke his **** laughing at the fact that some triathletes even considered that he could fight it out with Mo over a 10km race.

Really? Seems a little unusual. Brownlee's time at the Olympics was ca. 29.05. Farah's PB on the the road is 27.44. I know a minute and twenty seconds is a lot but not inconceivable to make up if he hadn't busted his balls swimming 1,500m and 43km on the bike. Presumably Brownlee will train a little more specifically for run-only event than he would have done for the Olympic Triathlon.

I for one am excited about the prospect of seeing him race run-only events. I think his running form is a thing of beauty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

In fairness, if someone from an entirely different sport can waft in and qualify for a major international event like the Commonwealth Games, it doesn't say much for the quality or depth in athletics.

(Anyway I'd love to see him do it, but I'm predicting he'll get injured trying)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I don't know a minute and 20 is an awful lot at their standard - I would guess with guys at Brownlees level there wouldn't be much difference between straight runs and brick runs.

Would an even paced 10k suit him better - i would imagine a slow tactical run race with a big burst of pace towards the end wouldn't suit him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

MrCreosote wrote: »
    (Anyway I'd love to see him do it, but I'm predicting he'll get injured trying)

I was just about to say this! If he goes heavy on the running he has a fair chance of ending up injured as has been seen before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

enzeder wrote: »
    Really? Seems a little unusual. Brownlee's time at the Olympics was ca. 29.05. Farah's PB on the the road is 27.44. I know a minute and twenty seconds is a lot but not inconceivable to make up if he hadn't busted his balls swimming 1,500m and 43km on the bike. Presumably Brownlee will train a little more specifically for run-only event than he would have done for the Olympic Triathlon.

I for one am excited about the prospect of seeing him race run-only events. I think his running form is a thing of beauty.

ok i thought that hardly any triathlete would think that ALI could run with MO
    mo could run sub 26.30 ali is prob going to run 28.15 in top peak shape maybe just sub 28 but that would suprise me if he was in peak shape, 9 month after the olympics .IF Ali was to quit triathlon I would not bet against him to become a top european runner by 2016.it would be a much later change than craig mottran but i think he made it to 5000 meter bronze medal in the world champs from being a top junior triathlete.

enzeder wrote: »

He has done this before

He was 48th in Euro Junior cross in 2009 in Dublin and was 6th man for GB. Personally I think a 28.30 would be an exceptional run but realistically I am thinking closer to 28.45

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

To automatically qualify for England he'll need to run 27:50. Failing that the 'B' standard is 28:10 and if he beats than then he may be considered.

My feeling is he'll be there but doing the Triathlon.

If he could represent Scotland he'd only need to run 29:00 to qualify...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

tunney wrote: »

Am looking forward to racing him. Will let you know how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Best of luck Bryan :D

I reckon Alistair runs around 28:47 myself but who knows.
    Mid 28 maybe even if its a fast course?

It may give an insight as to how accurate ITU Tri's are as he even said he thought San Diego was short.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Fazz wrote: »
    Best of luck Bryan :D

I reckon Alistair runs around 28:47 myself but who knows.
    Mid 28 maybe even if its a fast course?

It may give an insight as to how accurate ITU Tri's are as he even said he thought San Diego was short.

Tracks are usual fairly fast alright!

Give em hell giggsy!!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭ASIMON0V

ecoli wrote: »
    He has done this before

He was 48th in Euro Junior cross in 2009 in Dublin and was 6th man for GB. Personally I think a 28.30 would be an exceptional run but realistically I am thinking closer to 28.45

That sounds about right - the kind of time Mutai would drop for a 10k split in the latter half of the marathon.

BTH wrote: »
    Tracks are usual fairly fast alright!

Give em hell giggsy!!! :pac:

Must be running the wrong ones myself

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRgpUFExxvJCCO1aEzC8nfw8D_1f4YwEThbF4HUTKsG-fbdZlBr2Q

peter kern wrote: »
    ok i thought that hardly any triathlete would think that ALI could run with MO
    mo could run sub 26.30 ali is prob going to run 28.15 in top peak shape maybe just sub 28 but that would suprise me if he was in peak shape, 9 month after the olympics .IF Ali was to quit triathlon I would not bet against him to become a top european runner by 2016.it would be a much later change than craig mottran but i think he made it to 5000 meter bronze medal in the world champs from being a top junior triathlete.

Maybe I'm looking at him with a little too much of a rose tint in my specs alright but I think sub-28 would be possible for him on the track with other runners.

And Mo has never run sub-26.30. There's still only three men that have ever done that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Thing is though he says he only had 6 weeks good running done before San Diego so i cant imagine he's in his best shape or anything near it. I reckon 28:45.49

• Advertisement

Bambaata wrote: »
    Thing is though he says he only had 6 weeks good running done before San Diego so i cant imagine he's in his best shape or anything near it. I reckon 28:45.49

according to his coach he had 8 really tough runs before the olympics.

they are smart people in leeds and know their running ( both coaches have running as their forte ) they want to go to the comonwealth games they select a fast race and they know the qualification times .... hardly ever to the brownlees do serious race when they dodnt think they can achive what they want.( and 9 out of 10 times alister achieves the goal )
    will they achieve in the first try is another question but I am sure they would not announce to aim for the commowealth games if they did not believe they have the b standart at some stage

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

28:32

Race started off with lots of slags by commentator "will he wear a visor?"

he had shut the fvck up by the end. second I think overall and only just behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭ASIMON0V

tunney wrote: »
    28:32

Race started off with lots of slags by commentator "will he wear a visor?"

he had shut the fvck up by the end. second I think overall and only just behind.

good running; results here...
    http://www.rtspt.com/events/stanford/pjc13/130428F022.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Is this online to view anywhere?

Screw Brownlee, I don't see your name in the results Giggsy. You pull a DNS??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

BTH wrote: »
    Screw Brownlee, I don't see your name in the results Giggsy. You pull a DNS??

I opted for Joey Hannon instead Eugene and a new pb in the swim ;)

I opted for Joey Hannon instead Eugene and a new pb in the swim ;)

Nice to see all those Friday evenings paying off :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

He seems to have lined up in the 'B' race....I thought he was going up against the 27min boys. 28:32 is impressive considering he wasn't really pushed looking at results...he'd have to had to front run the whole race to go any faster.

Is this online to view anywhere?

http://www.run247.com/articles/article-3720-.html

pity they slowed down after 6 k as he had more in him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

He ran the B race. If he ran the A, his time would've been good enough for 17th.

http://www.rtspt.com/events/stanford/pjc13/130428F021.htm

Still, impressive stuff

Advertisement