Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BTEA SUSI Part time work.

Options
  • 25-04-2013 5:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭

I have applied to go back to college full time to do a degree in Psychology or Trinty's Access course.
    I was getting JB for 6 months, went to Canada and worked for 4 months and am home now getting JB since Sept 2012, recently been switched to JA I believe.
    I have been offered a part time job, starting in a weeks time 3 days a week until the end of Sept, which would be perfect if I get a college place.
    I'm pretty sure I can still apply for BTEA if I work no more then 3 days a week?
    Is there any limit on the number of hrs I can work a day for these 3 days?
    How do I check have the right number of days on JB and JA to qualify for BTEA?
    I really only know about the BTEA what is SUSI? Are there any other grants etc I could look into to make going back to college easier money wise?
    Or any hints, tips, and advice in general?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

To get BTEA for a college course you need 234 signing days built up and be on a DSP payment before applying for the Allowance. DSP can go back over your signing history and can combine signing on periods as long as there are no gaps of longer than a year.

If you get BTEA you can't get the Maintenance grant from SUSI but you can apply for the Fee grant to cover the college student contribution which is €2500 in Sept.

If you have applied to do TAP in Trinity and not through one of the Further Ed colleges you might not get BTEA so you need to check that out with DSP. Clodagh in the TAP office can also give you some info on this.

Once you are on BTEA you can work as many hours as you like as long as it doesn't affect your full-time student status.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭abceire

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 NOELER

abceire wrote: »
    I have applied to go back to college full time to do a degree in Psychology or Trinty's Access course.
    I was getting JB for 6 months, went to Canada and worked for 4 months and am home now getting JB since Sept 2012, recently been switched to JA I believe.
    I have been offered a part time job, starting in a weeks time 3 days a week until the end of Sept, which would be perfect if I get a college place.
    I'm pretty sure I can still apply for BTEA if I work no more then 3 days a week?
    Is there any limit on the number of hrs I can work a day for these 3 days?
    How do I check have the right number of days on JB and JA to qualify for BTEA?
    I really only know about the BTEA what is SUSI? Are there any other grants etc I could look into to make going back to college easier money wise?
    Or any hints, tips, and advice in general?
    You will get BTEA for TAP as it's f/t in liberties or TCD,you will need 8 distinctions and especially do very well in TAP statistics module.If you have the days then it's straight fw, if you short even one day they will refuse you so plan the next few months carefully. paperclip right, you can work as much as you like AFTER you get btea. Get either your offer for the TAP or psy itself then put in your BTEA application. Its very straight forward then.The 5 yrs will fly:)best of luck its a great course if you are into the psy, but try and develop a love of statistics as it will be a major part of your life till 3rd/4th yr in that tcd course if you choose single honours, joint honours also psy accredited so you can do joing degree in psych + economics or english or whatever you like and still be eligible for pg training.

Cheers, one of my friends nicknamed me stato as a kid, I just find stats interesting.

If you are working 3 days and only getting UA for 3 days, that is the amount of BTEA you will get, as far as I know. You would want to check that out too. Good Luck!

• Advertisement

Well it's just a seasonal job, so I'll be back out of work by time college starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

abceire wrote: »
    Well it's just a seasonal job, so I'll be back out of work by time college starts.

Yes but maryanne84 is correct - if for example you are receiving 100 for JSB or JSA just before you begin BTEA you might only get 100 euro per week on BTEA. This is a new rule that was bought in in budget 2013.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Well I'm probably going to be let go end of August when people have had their summer holidays and it's less hectic growth wise. I don't get any JSB or JSA now as I've some savings, so by what you're saying I'd get nothing if I applied for BTEA while working 3 days a week. Fingers crossed I get a college place. I'm still giving in weekly the sheet that says what days I've worked each week.

Advertisement