Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How does a blu ray work

• 25-04-2013 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,666 ✭✭✭

Pardon my ignorance. I dont know anything about blu ray, ive just heard the name a bit but dont actually know what it is.

So I understand blu ray is a way better picture than DVD

And then you have a blu ray player which I understand is just a box like a DVD player.

a blu ray player is just a box that you insert the blu ray disc in to

When you rent a CD at xtra vision or whatever, does it cost extra to rent a blu ray one or do they even supply blu ray ones ?

What else does a blu ray player do ?
    Does it play normal DVD's ?

The above comments may not be correct so apologies if wrong

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭Merl1n

blu ray is the next step from dvd higher quality picture and better sound
    you can rent blu ray discs from xtra vision
    blu ray players will play dvd as well as blu ray

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 224 ✭✭tmull

A Blu-ray player is an upgraded dvd player and plays blu-ray discs and dvd discs.All aspects of the blu-ray system are more expensive than their dvd equivalent. That is at the buying stage and the renting stage.You are paying for better picture and sound quality.That quality usually requires a HD tv and decent sound system to get the real benifits.TMULL

• Registered Users Posts: 5,666 ✭✭✭obi604

right, thanks.

So essentially a blu ray player just plays blu ray discs and also DVD's

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

DVD is cheaper because it's old tech. There's nothing intrinsically expensive about bluray, there are players available for less than €100.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

obi604 wrote: »
    right, thanks.

So essentially a blu ray player just plays blu ray discs and also DVD's
    Yes thats basically it, its just blu-ray discs have a mch higher quality picture and sound, but you need a decent sized hd tv to get the best out of the picture, and the better the sound system you own the better the sound will be.

• Advertisement

And can these blu rays connect to the Internet ?

Thought I heard someone mention blu ray and net flix before.

And can these blu rays connect to the Internet ?

Thought I heard someone mention blu ray and net flix before.
    Some players can be connected to internet via an ethernet cable or wifi, each player is different so you will need to check its functions before purchasing.
    Yes netflix is accessable on some of the players, you may need to do some research into this before purchasing.
    Also be aware if they connect to the internet via wifi the speed not be great for watching stuff on netflix etc.

Some players can be connected to internet via an ethernet cable or wifi, each player is different so you will need to check its functions before purchasing.
    Yes netflix is accessable on some of the players, you may need to do some research into this before purchasing.
    Also be aware if they connect to the internet via wifi the speed not be great for watching stuff on netflix etc.

Thanks. I have a net flix account so be handy for that. Would the picture from Netflix via the blu ray be in 1080 p ?

Thanks. I have a net flix account so be handy for that. Would the picture from Netflix via the blu ray be in 1080 p ?
    From doing some research online what i can see is this, and i do stand open to correction here.

Netflix does have the ability to stream at 1080p , however as far as i know netflix will adjust the quality depending on the bandwidth you have available and other factors such as the original quality filmed etc.

It wont be any better cause your streaming through a blu-ray player, dont expect the blu-ray player to improve the picture in that scenario.

I am a proponent of blu-rays, and some of the classic movies look so good on blu-ray on a high quality big tv its unreal.
    Im not messing when i say the one of the best quality movies i have seen on blu-ray is ALIEN, a movie made in the late 70s i think restored lovingly its amazing.

From doing some research online what i can see is this, and i do stand open to correction here.

Netflix does have the ability to stream at 1080p , however as far as i know netflix will adjust the quality depending on the bandwidth you have available and other factors such as the original quality filmed etc.

It wont be any better cause your streaming through a blu-ray player, dont expect the blu-ray player to improve the picture in that scenario.

I am a proponent of blu-rays, and some of the classic movies look so good on blu-ray on a high quality big tv its unreal.
    Im not messing when i say the one of the best quality movies i have seen on blu-ray is ALIEN, a movie made in the late 70s i think restored lovingly its amazing.

Thank you again

Could anyone recommend a blu ray player that has Netflix ?

Or

Are there other things out there that do the same as blu ray ?

I hear of people with PS3s, apple tvs etc. but don't know what the dirrerences are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,487 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Thank you again

Could anyone recommend a blu ray player that has Netflix ?

Or

Are there other things out there that do the same as blu ray ?

I hear of people with PS3s, apple tvs etc. but don't know what the dirrerences are.

A PS3 will play blu-ray discs but you're paying for it's gaming capability (powerful processer and lots of memory) so unless you're going to buy PS3 games you should forget about it. An Apple TV can't play discs of any kind, it's an appliance which you attach to a broadband router via Ethernet cable and you can access various Video on Demand (VoD) services, including NetFlix.

The 2012 and later Sony Blu-Ray players can all access NetFlix. Be careful about buying an older second-hand unit, not all Blu-Ray players with network connectivity will run NetFlix.

Thanks for that coylemj

Can you recommend and specific models ?

And actually I don't need a wifi one as my modem is under the tv.

Advertisement