Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best garage in Limerick to buy a cheap family MPV car?

• 25-04-2013 6:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭

Our current MPV (Hyundia Trajet) needs a new clutch etc will cost about 1K, its a 2002 reg so is not worth much. We cant afford a new car (who can) but if it made sense to trade the current car in against a 07/08 reg we might think about it. Needs to be am MPV as we are a big family so that would be the likes of the Ford Galaxy, Hyundia trajet etc.
    Which garage would be best to try for good prices for second hand MPVs or are they all pretty much the same?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Oh wow, as a moderator this thread gives me palpitations, but that's mainly cause I know nothing about cars and threads where people get into flame wars about businesses can be a nightmare

IMVHO, as someone who knows NOTHING about cars, it's always best to go with a reputable garage, word of mouth can be great, I'm a firm believer in warranty as well, so if possible get a car with a bit of the manufactures warranty left with a completed log book.

My sister bought a car from Leonard's a few years ago, hasn't had a days problem with it and she has recommended them to a few more people, I haven't heard any bad stories back, that's all I know, personally I drive a 6 year old Avensis that I bought in Hogan's back in the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

€1k for a new clutch? Is that a quote from a main dealer or a mechanic? Is it just a new clutch or does the car need a new flywheel also? Is the Trajet diesel or petrol? If it's petrol or only for the clutch itself then I'd be getting a price from another garage as it could be cheaper than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

bazz26 wrote: »
    €1k for a new clutch? Is that a quote from a main dealer or a mechanic? Is it just a new clutch or does the car need a new flywheel also? Is the Trajet diesel or petrol? If it's petrol or only for the clutch itself then I'd be getting a price from another garage as it could be cheaper than that.

theres a whole lot of other stuff, shocks, brakes etc plus a full service for the NCT, its a fair price, I know the guy, I dont want this post to turn into a discussion on mechanics etc, but about what garage has a reputation for providing a good range of 2nd hand MPVs in Limerick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

My two cents

I don't believe there is such a thing as "Which garage would be best to try for good prices for second hand" , get up early Saturday morning and get out there and hit them all . Try and find the car you are looking for around your price range and if you are lucky and do , then get a mechanic to check it out also . When I do this I even make a run as far as Charleville and one out to Ennis as both places have their garages fairly close to each other . The less you limit yourself the better your chance of getting what you are looking for , also by doing this you get a good feel for the prices . A bit of online research goes a long way too .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Every garage will have different vehicles so the best garage might not even have MPV's.

Take the new Opel dealer on the Ennis road, most of his stock is actually in Garryspillane. Limerick Motor Centre have lots of MPVs, Lyons tend to only have 1-2 yr old stock. It's hit and miss.

As said already, get out on a Saturday morning and go sniffing for the vehicle you want and be prepared to travel. Get onto cbg.ie or carzone.ie and see what is in Cork/Galway/Clonmel/Athlone etc.(All reasonable driving distances for such a big purchase).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

check out done deal, inquire of the grease heads on the bangernomics fourm,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

you can get new clutch cheaper than that,find a mechanic

Advertisement