Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Page Redesign

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

seamus wrote: »
    Then a week later everyone has gotten used to it and has stopped complaining, but for the designer the criticism must still burn just a little bit.

More people realise that feck all will be done to change it despite what they post. Now here, it'll probably because there's a dozen other projects that were cut on time to get this done and going back and making massive changes isn't realistic without again cutting back on time available for other key features but still, it's annoying when these changes are "one-way."

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

See the attachment to see what I see for "My Threads"... so totally useless as I was kinda hoping for recent threads?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

To be fair, "My Threads" shows threads that you're following, and has done for a long time now :)

I wonder how hard it would be to add a customisable tab, where users could specify what they want to see based on a short list of criteria, e.g.

"Show all <posts> by <me> in <forum> which have been thanked, ordered by <recent first>"

Another user might prefer the custom tab to

"Show all <threads> in <my favourite forums> created <today>"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Boards.ie has a fine tradition of ignoring the user base, who, like people through time see no reason to change anything that's seen to be working perfectly well.

Of course we don't see what's going on under the bonnet. If a change can be justified on grounds of loads/response times etc than fine we'll have to live with it but when a change is foisted upon us as someone simply thought the place was due a new coat of paint then you piss people off.

This is that coat of paint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭homer911

I always land on the "My Forums" page and miss the ability to quickly home in on a particular forum, as this is no longer a specific column. Could you consider changing the "All Topics" drop down to list the specific forums a user is subscribed to?

Also limiting this to a screen of 12 posts (with additional pages) is really annoying - have a care for us users on Android!

Polls taken immediately after a layout change are meaningless.

Every time facebook changes its layout you see some site running a "What do you think of the new facebook layout" poll, with an overwhelming "I preferred the old layout" response.

Then a year later it changes again, same poll again and everyone says, "I preferred the old layout".

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I won't be worried about that, neither would the head office.
    Those threads come with any change.
    There probably was one about DeVore's hair at some point too.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭peterjmaxwell

Small issue i know but there used to be a "view first unread post icon on My Threads, now when i go to My Threads I have to click into the first page of a thread and then click the link. I know it's only one extra click but it's very annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Well its quite simply that they MUST listen to the posters on this site rather then focusing on a new user base.

If it wasnt for the long running users on this site who post daily on keep the threads flowing you would have millions of 1 or 2 post threads.

That FACT is you will always have much more unregistered users viewing boards than registered users logged in as most people would be viewers rather than posters.

This whole sight should revolve around people who contribute to the site.

This design does NOT take into accountregular users as 99% of the posts reject this format.

This can not be 1 persons idea and everyone has to follow. Whay not have a Announcement on the home page of how the users would like to see the site rather than just creating it and see how it goes as im sure time is wasted that way in Man hours.

Danny/ Nicola No offence but with your snappy answers just shows a disconnect with the regular posters here as we have all learned for our posts to flow.

The Users , Mods, as Admins and Dav post in a conciderate way so may i suggest to personally review this as its looks intimidating when we are supplying feedback as requested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Just 2 other things ive noticed from using the site the last 24 hours
    • when im scrolling through my 5 pages of 12 threads in My Forms, I scroll down page 1, click the forward button to go to page 2, and the screen stays at the bottom of the page 2. So I scroll up page 2 to see those threads, and there's no arrows to go to page 3 up there, so i have to scroll all the way to the bottom again. doing this once a minute is getting irritating! Think jumping back to the top of the page would be easy to implement.
    • you say part of the redesign was to promote Talk to..... I didnt undersatand as Id never seen it. You see I have ad blocker, so that section on the home page must be coming up as an ad space. Im not sure if this was intended to be so, as its part of the website, but just letting you know it gets blocked so anyone new coming to the site with an adblocker will never see it

You put words in capitals letters and bold font. That immediately activates my Daily Mail filter and I didn't read your post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

how did you know I posted

Every time facebook changes its layout you see some site running a "What do you think of the new facebook layout" poll, with an overwhelming "I preferred the old layout" response.

Then a year later it changes again, same poll again and everyone says, "I preferred the old layout".

That merely indicates a further drop in quality not necessarily people liking the old layout. Really, I didn't like the previous homepage much at all, it's just this one is worse for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

how is it change for the sake of change?

From me using the new home page, it feels a hell of a lot nippier, i guess that's just change for the sake of change yeh?

I've been a boards user for 12 years, the home page hadn't changed much in that time period but the way we as people consume info has, the web has. everything has changed it's time to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Small issue i know but there used to be a "view first unread post icon on My Threads, now when i go to My Threads I have to click into the first page of a thread and then click the link. I know it's only one extra click but it's very annoying.

If you go to My Threads, then click the number of posts on the right hand side it takes you to the newest unread post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

how is it change for the sake of change?

From me using the new home page, it feels a hell of a lot nippier, i guess that's just change for the sake of change yeh?

I've been a boards user for 12 years, the home page hadn't changed much in that time period but the way we as people consume info has, the web has. everything has changed it's time to move on.

Nippier? Its got less than half the information on a given page. How is clicking through additional pages nippier?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,405 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Sorry, guys, but I prefer the old system with a proper grid of what was posted and in what forum and by who, rather than bunging it on the end of a sentence.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I dislike the new facebook timeline so much that I'm using a script to display the original one, and I dislike touch.boards so much I never use it.
    I don't like the blue and white glaring space and that applies to the new homepage too

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Do you really think they care? Looks like we're gonna be stuck with this crap, it's gonna be "if ya don't like it bugger off" message

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

mike65 wrote: »
    Nippier? Its got less than half the information on a given page. How is clicking through additional pages nippier?
    the initial page launch is quicker for me, that's what I was getting at.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Just tried it there on the iPad for the first time. It's not as bad as I thought it would be. You can still see most of the pertinent information you were able to see before and having to click through five lists is only a minor inconvenience. It would be nice if the list of posts had a checkered colour scheme but I'm sure that could be added easily enough.

To the poster saying what is the Thanks tab needed for. As part of my daily boards routine I always check the top thanked posts of the last 24 hours. It's a great way to find some of the best content from all over the site; similar to finding the random content people are talking about only with a weighting attached.

Maybe this layout doesn't work well on a full screen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

bluewolf wrote: »
    I dislike the new facebook timeline so much that I'm using a script to display the original one, and I dislike touch.boards so much I never use it.
    I don't like the blue and white glaring space and that applies to the new homepage too
    Ditto on boards touch, always use the full site on my phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Having used the touch site, well, most of the time when I'm on boards, I pulled up the desktop site this morning expecting to be horrrified after reading both this thread and the thread in AH.

I can see what other users are talking about alright with missing the 50 thread view and the random thread view, but for me personally - it's so clean, organised, no information overload, everything just nicely presented and functionality is in sync with the touch site.

It's a bit árse about face as the desktop site should always take priority over touch in terms of design, but for me, well, it's an inconsistency that in this case actually works.

I was actually pleasantly surprised tbh, oh and I'm subbed to a few of the talk to forums so having them easily and neatly availble there on the side, well that's just icing on cake really! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Actually yeah the checkered thing would help

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Earthhorse wrote: »
    To the poster saying what is the Thanks tab needed for. As part of my daily boards routine I always check the top thanked posts of the last 24 hours. It's a great way to find some of the best content from all over the site; similar to finding the random content people are talking about only with a weighting attached.

Maybe this layout doesn't work well on a full screen though.
    Yeah I like that the thanks tab has been taken out of where it was hidden and given a proper tab. I always find some real gems looking through it,

bluewolf wrote: »

The dark theme removes some of the pain. ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Thanks to Seamus for providing the new post search link (www.boards.ie/vbulletin/search.php?do=getnew) I've set this as my bookmark for Boards.ie and thankfully will be able to bypass the front page. Like others, I very much appreciate the ability to come across threads I wouldn't ordinarily read or forums I don't often venture into.

I'd be interested to see if traffic has been significantly reduced across the site as people either struggle to get to grips with the new layout or simply wander off to procrastinate on another site? But talk of building the site to grow the community feels like it's coming at the expense of the existing users.

Please give the great unwashed masses a 'new posts' option/tab on the home page (with 25-50 new posts available)...

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Thanks to Seamus for providing the new post search link (www.boards.ie/vbulletin/search.php?do=getnew) I've set this as my bookmark for Boards.ie and thankfully will be able to bypass the front page.

Bear in mind, that link will stop working at some point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Rabies wrote: »
    I won't be worried about that, neither would the head office.
    Those threads come with any change.
    There probably was one about DeVore's hair at some point too.

Yeah, because who cares what 82.62% of the community thinks?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement