Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Page Redesign

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Tallon wrote: »
    Yeah, because who cares what 82.62% of the community thinks?

The 17.38% that keep the site running for the 82.62% that use the site for free?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Czarcasm wrote: »
    The 17.38% that keep the site running for the 82.62% that use the site for free?
    Ah FFS, will you come off it

Everytime a feedback thread is started about the site, someone spews some Bullshít about money and advertisement

What the hell has a page layout change got to do with Money?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

82.62% of people have no idea what they actually want.

63.54% of all people know that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Hi,

I use the Cloud skin and the new home page is dark and hard to tell whats, what. I had to turn the brightness on my monitor up.

I'm all for improvements but the new homepage is too minimalist and lacks character in my humble opinion.

LoGiE.

seamus wrote: »
    82.62% of people have no idea what they actually want.

Is this you?

2.gif
    Ramsy: your food is not nice
    Amy: you don't know how to eat

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Tallon,
    we prefer constructive feedback in this forum.

If you cannot work within those perimeters, don't post.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Well to be fair, AH isn't boards and the poll was done on the first day of the new design but I agree it's unfair to ignore what the majority of feedback seems to be saying.

In fairness to the development team, the new look has been in place less than 24 hours. Let's give them a chance to change things.

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Tallon,

I'm providing constructive to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Is it just me or is it not working?
    Home page is empty. No latest threads etc.. Also the hover over the topics along the top no longer enables you to navigate to sub-categories!

I'm using chrome. Was it tested, or is it me??

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭nucker

To be honest, I'm not a fan of the new design

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Simple solution is to just bookmark http://www.boards.ie/? if you want to keep the original frontpage

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭nucker

P_1 wrote: »
    Simple solution is to just bookmark http://www.boards.ie/? if you want to keep the original frontpage

Huh? That led me to the new one

And can you see anything on the new one?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I'm providing constructive to be fair

You're not at all, you're taking pot shots at users and doing more to damage the side you want to be on on this than help it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Nicola

Thanks for the feedback - we appreciate all of the input and will consider every suggestion. We're going to investigate the following changes today.

For all users we'll look into changing the line of text under the thread title to: "DD-MMM HH:MM | Forum Name | Latest post by Member Name".

We need to put the time stamp first in order to get the times and forum names to align correctly; putting the forum name first would mean that the time stamps would be misaligned as forum names have varying lengths.

We're also going to look into pulling 75 results on loading the page, rather than current 60, and to display these on three pages of 25 results per page.

We'll post updates here when we have them.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Clicking on the number of posts used to pop up a window with who posted and a link to their posts in the thread. Why are you pretending this had always jumped to the last unread post?

nucker wrote: »
    Huh? That led me to the new one

Include the "/?"

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Clicking on the number of posts used to pop up a window with who posted and a link to their posts in the thread. Why are you pretending this had always jumped to the last unread post?

That's only from the forum index, from the homepage it goes to last unread

Thanks for the feedback - we appreciate all of the input and will consider every suggestion. We're going to investigate the following changes today.

For all users we'll look into changing the line of text under the thread title to: "DD-MMM HH:MM | Forum Name | Latest post by Member Name".

We need to put the time stamp first in order to get the times and forum names to align correctly; putting the forum name first would mean that the time stamps would be misaligned as forum names have varying lengths.

We're also going to look into pulling 75 results on loading the page, rather than current 60, and to display these on three pages of 25 results per page.

We'll post updates here when we have them.

Thanks. A point, the forum rather than the thread title is the first thing most people want to see because we all have many forums we will just skip past on the list. Having the forum name more prominent, perhaps before the thread title might work better for people scanning. Date doesn't have to be there before any other information, it just has to be visible, it in itself isn't key to whether one will look at the thread, it's something you check last. The second point, why persist with pagination? Are you trying to reduce the amount of information on-screen to make it more approachable for new people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

This may have been mentioned already, Could the default page heading be set to "my forums" when user is logged in rather than "latest posts"?

Also opening a thread used to bring you to the last unread post but only opens the first page of the thread now.

New design looks nice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Username99

I liked it better the way it was before, if it aint broken don't fix it that's what I always say. But what do I know...

Am I invisible? Is that why I can't see anything on the home page??

HELLO???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

I don't like the new design, it looks cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

bluewolf wrote: »
    That's only from the forum index, from the homepage it goes to last unread

Yeah but the same action should have the same function across the site. It just gets confusing if clicking on the number of posts on the home page has a totally different function to the same action on a different page.

And it's obvious from this thread that a lot of people haven't even realised that clicking on the number of posts brings you to the last read point in a thread. The arrow made much more sense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Yeah I prefer this
    And it doesn't show many new posts because everything is too big
    And if I click onto a thread I've read before it brings me to the OP instead of latest post

At least the old one keeps randomly popping up
    I would like the option to keep using it
    +1 and it seems your thanks to dav in the op might appear to have been a trifle premature :confused:

I liked the old one primarily because it worked well but it was also easy for my simple little mind to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Tallon,

To be fair to him, I was taking the piss with a Simpsons quote. Not exactly constructive either :)

A lot of the "they're not listening" stuff is very premature. Clearly they are listening, but it does take some time to

1. Filter out the noise into something cohesive
    2. Come up with a solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Ideally if you are logged in clicking on the thread title should bring you to your last read thread everywhere on the site. No need for the arrow button or clicking on post count. Personally I almost never go to the start of a thread after having read it once

mathepac wrote: »
    +1 and it seems your thanks to dav in the op might appear to have been a trifle premature :confused:

Eh?
    Zulu wrote: »
    Am I invisible? Is that why I can't see anything on the home page??

HELLO???

lol
    It's working for me anyway

lol
    It's working for me anyway
    Thanks, at least I've established I'm not invisible.

Now who do I need to talk to about possible bugs?

• Advertisement

Zulu wrote: »
    Thanks, at least I've established I'm not invisible.

Now who do I need to talk to about possible bugs?

In here I guess

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=228

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement