Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Page Redesign

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I much prefer the old layout. Just a personal opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

I prefer the old layout to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 15,037 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Please go back to the old layout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

Change "Trending" to "Most popular" or something.

Feckin' trending!

It makes me feel like a feckin school girl!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

On trending for me the 3rd one down is a thread last post in on the 12/06/2013 about the Ireland v Spain friendly football match played in America.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 molltrot

what happened to adverts.ie cant find it anymore, ps. I prefer the old system!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Prefer the last months not very old one by a long shot.
    I initially thought I was stuck in the mobile version, which I don't even like on a phone.

Doesn't look like our opinions are going to reverse the tide of developers so...
    A few major concerns - is this new format likely to be rolled out over the whole site? - you mentioned eol for v-bulletin.

Anything that makes it slower to absorb at a glance, like multiple pagination is going to lose people. I'm not a fan of how slow adverts is now compared to before, so I use it considerably less now.

Why so much spacing? People don't need FisherPrice versions as much as MS mistakenly thought.
    Newspapers don't doublespace everything, even the page3, so why do we (to the tune of Ebony and..;))

With the loss of the forum menu at top, most of the lesser known forums will be effectively orphaned from the home page.
    This is going to push even more traffic through AfterHours and the other busy forums at the expense of more relevant ones.
    If I didn't know of the existence of a forum, I probably wouldn't be easily able to happen upon it. This could be the death knell for lesser fora.
    The rollover menu from All Topics is less than useless.

What is with the tooltips and the redundant View thread xxxxx?
    Is this not meant to preview on hover.
    Actually, if you are going to use up acreage of screen space how about rollover previews of posts to at least make it worthwhile.

I realise you are trying to accommodate touch and phones and that's commendable but other than serving up different versions it's also up to new technology to deal with existing tech and not limit it.

Cheers and good luck sorting it and us all out:)

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Dude240502

Is there any way to revert back to the old system?

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Treora

A little difficult to browse for forum. Searching is easier but randomly coming across forum is more difficult

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Hunter Mahan

It's ok on a PC or laptop, but not so good on a tablet, in fact it's terrible.

I preferred the last layout, the new one does not simplify or excite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I'm still using the fancy Cloud skin and old homepage.

A few min ago I clicked the Cloud/Boards logo to return to the home page and I got sent to the new page :eek: Refreshed a few times and still the same.

Clicked back to the thread I was viewing, forum view went back to normal. Clicked home again, and all was back to normal.

Using chrome on mac.

Mini bug fart or something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Fuzz-chinned delveloper related to new boss wins big.

Old LUsers lose, but that's what the 'L' stands for, man.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Esel wrote: »
    Fuzz-chinned delveloper related to new boss wins big.

Old LUsers lose, but that's what the 'L' stands for, man.
    Has someone been drinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Seriously though. Who sanctioned this?

Maybe I am biased, as I would never normally use the homepage.

Is the intention to attract new users? Then OK, maybe.

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

spix wrote: »
    Agreed, there is too much space wasted. This is the kind of layout I'd prefer http://i.imgur.com/4GvEgmO.png threw it together in paint, that thumbs up might get them into trouble though :D

It's perfect!

All in one line, so I don't have to look here, there and over here too see details about one thread, not too much blank space and the table is discreet.

Tables might seem old fashioned but it's fundamental for clarity and order in a list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

With the "my Threads" tab, could only threads with new posts in it be highlighted? So it has the same functionality as the My Threads in the CP.

Also if you click on the post count number on the new homepage it takes you to the most recent unread post in the thread, if you click the same thing elsewhere on the site it shows you who has posted in the thread. Doing the same action should produce the same results across the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

Hi

How long do we have before this stops working?

http://www.boards.ie/?.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

I prefer the old way, much more user friendly and easier to read in my opinion.
    My eyes hurt looking at the new home page now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Is there any means in the control panel settings to retain the old home page?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

The new home page looks so ugly. If this is your way of moving away from Vbulletin, I may be moving away from boards :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

couldnt you just leave well enough alone.its actually putting me off boards.

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Esel wrote: »
    Seriously though. Who sanctioned this?

Maybe I am biased, as I would never normally use the homepage.

Is the intention to attract new users? Then OK, maybe.

if you don't normally use the homepage, why are you complaining about it? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭mattser

I think it should be clear by now that whoever is responsible for this should re-consider. Too many people, myself included, going to switch off otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

On the new home page, if i click the right arrow to go to page 2 of new posts the page changes ok but doesnt switch to the top, just stays at the bottom so i ve to scroll back up to the top to see all the newest posts . Hope you can follow my drift .

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Looking at the main site on my phone and u don't see any thread titles, just the forum name and poster.
    title is there and then removed by css based on resolution I guess.
    , I don't care who posted if I don't know the thread title.
    Can we have the title instead of the last poster please, there are lots of threads I don't care about, but now I have to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The new front page just isn't as information rich and as clear as the old page. Bring all the thread information back into one line, using a table structure. Tables exist for a reason - they convey information clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭blockedPaT

Not a fan of it. Why does each post need two lines? Unlike the old homepage where each had one line and was more clearer to read imo. Also as others have said I don't see the point of the thanks column.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

Maybe its just me but for some reason when I look at the my threads tab I get confused. It seems like I haven't read any of the threads yet... I think only the unread threads should be in bold...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

im getting the old style again. Has it been changed back?

Its changing back and forth?????? Depending on which button i press?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

seligehgit wrote: »
    Is there any means in the control panel settings to retain the old home page?

Use http://www.boards.ie/?

Nate

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement