Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Page Redesign

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

You can piece together some of the issues in a previous post I made here. If you want more information and specifics please start a thread in Site Development, it's rather in depth information that most people will tl;dr if I stick it in here and is also off topic :)

Danny

Sure just upgrade to vB 5, it'd be interesting. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭SVG

I have to echo most of the complaints here. I come here for the wall of text, not the clean white space.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭maryxyz

Much preferred old Boards layout

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Bambi wrote: »
    New style is a load of pants but I'll live with it

But what's the jaysus story with "the go to last unread" option? has it been pulled? and the last post being way over wonder on the right masquerading as a post count?

And is the actual time of the last post in a thread now gone too?

It almost like someone decided that there was far too much useful information on the home page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I don't like it.

It looks confusing and I am not seeing threads as easily as I used to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

I'll ask again, any chance of a reddit style scroll for more posts instead of pagination? I'd love that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

If you really have to include that ridiculous 'thanks' tab on the first page, would it not make more sense to count the thanks per thread as opposed to per post? It's hardly giving a lot of information if most of the ranked posts are from the same thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭mattser

maryxyz wrote: »
    Much preferred old Boards layout

Wasting your time like the rest of us. It appears they're not listening. Let it die a death, if that's what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

New layout is a disaster! We have the silly situation this morning where one thread is displayed in both trending and latest posts.
    When you get something wrong be man enough to admit it and fix it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

nesf wrote: »
    Can I finally ask why are you moving away from a table layout?
    Just wondering if this issue is being addressed? Several people have raised it in various ways, but I haven't seen a response. Not sure if it's being ignored or what.

FYI it's really ruined the functionality of the site for me, as the front page is how I mainly navigate it. It's like if Google made their search five times more awkward to use.

The current design is a fundamentally broken from a UI perspective. Here's why: the general way people read the front page is to be only interested in a small percentage of the posts. With the old design, when you weren't interested in a post, your eyes could skip cleanly onto the next post title. Now your eyes have to skip over that irrelevant line of text below, telling you what the poster/forum/date was for every post, even though you'd already determined you had no interest in the post.

This is what makes it much harder work to read. It's not a case of aesthetics, it's a broken UI design, because you're forcing people to read/skip a whole load of text that's irrelevant to them.

It's fixed by the previous table-style layout, where that info appears in different columns. For the small percentage of posts you are interested in, you could just scan your eyes across to get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ZETOR_IS_BETTER

Somebody broke the home page. :(
    Old layout much better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

hey mods or admin or whoever why not do a poll and just see how many people on boards want the home page changed back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

crazygeryy wrote: »
    hey mods or admin or whoever why not do a poll and just see how many people on boards want the home page changed back?

I would have suggested it earlier, but I suspect the change is due to operational requirements and changing back is not going to be easy/desirable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

If you really have to include that ridiculous 'thanks' tab on the first page, would it not make more sense to count the thanks per thread as opposed to per post? It's hardly giving a lot of information if most of the ranked posts are from the same thread

For whats it worth this tab was previously a page I had bookmarked (the now obsolete http://www.boards.ie/?filter=thanks used to do this) and I discovered many good posts and interesting debates on fora I don't frequent because of this page.

I'm sure I'm not the only one either, so it may be ridiculous to you but its useful to many of us.

Nor do I like your idea of sorting by most thanked posts on a thread instead, stuff like YLYL or Dental Plan would be almost always tops. Sending me to the first or last page of such a thread is pointless, whereas sending me to an exact post with 110 thanks is useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

crazygeryy wrote: »

Like all organisations, too much time, planning and money has been spent for anyone to admit they got it wrong and shelve it. It's here to stay

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Is there any chance you could you put the '< 1 of 3 >' link at the top of the latest posts list, as well as at the bottom?

Also, at the moment, when I have read the first 25 pages and hit >, it takes me to the bottom of page 2, so I have to scroll back up to see post 26. Could you change the settings so that hitting > takes me to the top of the next page?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Skid X wrote: »
    Is there any chance you could you put the '< 1 of 3 >' link at the top of the latest posts list, as well as at the bottom?

Also, at the moment, when I have read the first 25 pages and hit >, it takes me to the bottom of page 2, so I have to scroll back up to see post 26. Could you change the settings so that hitting > takes me to the top of the next page?

Can it please also be made bigger? There is oceans of space unused on the page and the arrow is 10X14? Its way too small.

Obviously I'd like it to be removed, pagination is a completely retrograde step but please make it bigger too.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Meh.

I have only recently used the homepage, as before that I sort of only went on it randomly. The changes don't bother me :D

Edit: The thing is is that the people that haven't had an issue or anything are probably not as likely to post here. Makes a poll sort of well biased of some description.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

Further to my earlier post - I've flitted in and out of the forum for the past few days and just can't be doing with it!

I used to like the fact that there was lots to scroll through on the opening page, and if I spotted a few posts I was interested in, I could come back out from one topic and pick one of the others - as the opening page was unchanged (at least in my iMac/Firefox setup). Now, if I come back to the opening page, there's a whole load of new stuff and I've probably lost track of other posts I was intending to read, grrrrrrh ... :mad:

Also find that I simply can't bothered to carry on to a second or third page (probably my loss and not yours!). I just want to do a quick general scan of 'what's going on' before moving to whatever I'm particularly 'into' on the day.

Please, at least, offer an alternative - too much wasted space to work through in the current format, as has already been voiced here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

With the new design it's not apparent in the My Threads tab which threads have unread posts as all titles appear in bold font. It's much handier when the threads that have no unread posts are in normal font.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

Pleeeease let us seasoned users keep www.boards.ie/? - I like change, but not bad change, and the old homepage is so much more functional/accessible.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭franman

New homepage actually hurts my eyes!! Finding it much more difficult to navigate! Anyway to provide an option to revert back to the old style homepage :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

*drops into thread to check if the home page is being reverted*

*leaves again*

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

As trivial a thing as it is... When I'm in the "My Threads" page, and I click "My Threads" tab it doesn't refresh as it used to, just shifts you down the page to view what's already there. It'd be nice if it refreshed again.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭coolabula

Bambi wrote: »
    New style is a load of pants but I'll live with it

But what's the jaysus story with "the go to last unread" option? has it been pulled? and the last post being way over wonder on the right masquerading as a post count?

Can someone answer this?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

maximoose wrote: »
    As trivial a thing as it is... When I'm in the "My Threads" page, and I click "My Threads" tab it doesn't refresh as it used to, just shifts you down the page to view what's already there. It'd be nice if it refreshed again.

This is being looked at.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

coolabula wrote: »
    Can someone answer this?

If you click on the post count number (on the right of the homepage) it brings you to the last unread post of the thread.

I still think that feature should be publicised, I wouldn't have known except for reading this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

I don't know if it's been mentioned but I'd prefer if the number of posts could be in brackets beside the thread titles as it once was. It's much easier to scan through and see what threads are popular (i.e. something you haven't seen before with 100+ posts), what's a new thread and what's a megathread (with 5,000+ posts). I prefer to do this at a glance rather than reading the thread titles and then scanning across some similarly coloured faint blue bars to line up the post count for the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before and I have no intention of reviewing this entire thread to check.

I would like if the 'Latest Post by [Username]' in the list on the home page was a pair of links to both the latest post and the profile of the poster respectively.

Of course, I am totally ignoring overhead and complexities of and extra DB hit and page load time while serving the content to what I preume at this stage to be many, many requests per second.

I know what a rocketjump is, give me what I want, rabble rabble etc.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Nicola

I'll ask again, any chance of a reddit style scroll for more posts instead of pagination? I'd love that

Infinite scroll has been mentioned, I'll add it to the feature list now. We obviously cannot implement every single thing on the list but where it is a viable suggestion or merits consideration, we will look into it.
    mattser wrote: »
    Wasting your time like the rest of us. It appears they're not listening. Let it die a death, if that's what they want.

We are listening, I can promise you that much. Every bit of feedback is being reviewed and where possible, implemented.
    padraig_f wrote: »
    Just wondering if this issue is being addressed? Several people have raised it in various ways, but I haven't seen a response. Not sure if it's being ignored or what.

Apologies, not being ignored-the move away from the table layout was done from a UI perspective, it was felt that the Excel style wall of text was just too much content. As I said earlier, we've seen there is a fine balance between 'not enough' content and 'usable'. We will hopefully get there.
    Skid X wrote: »

This has also been added to our list.

Thanks for all the feedback folks, we're still reviewing all suggestions and will be making more updates over the coming days; I'll keep you all posted here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement