Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Page Redesign

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but with the new layout I cant see the 'last page' link any more for threads - clicking the thread link only brings me to the first post - am I missing something here? (IE8, XP)

EDIT: Never mind, I've just seen a tooltip pop up telling me to click on the No. of posts link to go to the last post. Strange, but it will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

http://www.boards.ie/? isn't going anywhere, is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

In time it is going to go away.

Danny

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

I can see the homepage on that if thats what you mean :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Danny

Ok, isn't there a list of new posts somewhere that accomplished something similar? I understand the logic of a cleaner presentation for new or casual users, but there isn't enough info on the new page to suit me right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Danny

Right after you listen to the feedback and reverse the changes yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

I wish someone would explain, in plain English, how we are meant to see new threads!?

I'd also be very interested to see what the mods think of the change, considering most of the spam is going to have to be caught by them on their own....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Danny

In that case, in time, so am I.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

I'm not sure if it has been mentioned so far, but logging in from the new login section on the homepage always reports that I've either used an incorrect password or login name. The redirect page always allows a login though, as does the clickable login link close to the top right of the page.

entropi wrote: »
    I'm not sure if it has been mentioned so far, but logging in from the new login section on the homepage always reports that I've either used an incorrect password or login name. The redirect page always allows a login though, as does the clickable login link close to the top right of the page.

As does refreshing the page again before logging in :) It's something we're working on but is proving difficult to track down. There's a bug report over here.

Danny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

syklops wrote: »
    In that case, in time, so am I.
    They don't care, they'll have all their new, inexperienced users who think this is what an online forum is supposed to look like.

God help them if they ever venture further than "New Boards.ie" or Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭scoobydoobie

Thanks for the link, i've book marked it for as long as it may stay, it is so much easier to scan what forums i want to view having the forum title on the left, and when i go into a topic i can back out and the page has not moved on, with the new layout it is simply to much work for the eyes to look between txt to determine what forum the post is in, surley if we can have 3 pages instead of 5 then we can have just 1 page. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭mattser

Danny

Well done. Now go and find thousands to replace those who have left totally pi**ed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

When I go to boards.ie it brings me to the new layout. How do I stop this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Danny

Why?

Nate

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Click on this instead

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    When I go to boards.ie it brings me to the new layout. How do I stop this?

Only way to stop is go to www.boards.ie/?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Why?

Nate

I've said as much on this thread many times already; because vBulletin is going away. We cannot and will not maintain two sets of software for longer than necessary.

Danny

Is the space issue going to be resolved before its taken away? Honestly my eyes get irrirated looking over so much blank space just to check how many posts are in the thread. I find myself saying *why is it all the way over there????* The information should be as close as possible for easy reading.

It's pointless as most dekstop users these days have high resolution monitors. You shouldn't need to do this to cater for those with low resolution screens anyway as I've never seen this on any other forum. It really is terrible to use. Add to this the reduced density of listed threads ( 9 vs 15 with old design ) and the conclusion is that there's currently 0 benefit to this redesign.

I don't use the homepage often so doesn't bother me much but I can imagine how frustrating it would be for those that do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

spix wrote: »
    Is the space issue going to be resolved before its taken away? Honestly my eyes get irrirated looking over so much blank space just to check how many posts are in the thread. I find myself saying *why is it all the way over there????* The information should be as close as possible for easy reading.

Less information you see, more pages you visit and more adverts you bump onto. Capitalism.

zom wrote: »
    Less information you see, more pages you visit and more adverts you bump onto. Capitalism.

I use adblock ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

The people complaining about more adverts is even annoying me, can't imagine how the designers feel.

Also he wasn't complaining about less information, he was complaining about the layout.

spix wrote: »
    I use adblock ;)

You're Communist ;-)

Anyway - I'm not sure what's new features because I spent more time outdoor recently (glorious weather) and forget about internet a little. IS this sticked top panel new feature? I hate it! I use wide screen and it cuts 20% of website content! And unfortunately there are in facts 2 divs - "breadcrumb" and "header" so even if I know how to unfix their position (Firebug) it's too much hassle...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Schorpio

I understand the need to move away from vBulletin, but would it not be possible to redesign the former homepage in the exact same way as before but using API. Then make the new homepage the default for visitors/new users and provide the option in the settings to choose the old layout (albeit, the API version) for seasoned boardsies, for whom the old homepage was perfect.

I know it's been said before, but I really don't like the redesign. Too much space. The compactness of the old one was far superior and I could skim through my various lists much faster. Also, having the clickable post count right next to the thread title was far better than keeping them off to the right hand side as it is now. With it next to the thread title, I can have my mouse and the areas I'm going to want to click right in my field of vision. Now I keep having to flick over and back. It's a small thing I know, but it was better before.

Masked Man wrote: »
    The people complaining about more adverts is even annoying me, can't imagine how the designers feel.

I'm sure they would feel much better lying down in Thailand with beers in their hands and piles of sheckles growing on their accounts. Unfortunately they have to work...
    Masked Man wrote: »
    Also he wasn't complaining about less information, he was complaining about the layout.

Real facts are that all that layout is about money.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I've said as much on this thread many times already; because vBulletin is going away. We cannot and will not maintain two sets of software for longer than necessary.

Danny

You've not said however why the new homepage has to be different to the old one so this doesn't actually wash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

If I'm not logged in the username/password to the right of the post list never works. I've entered the right user name and password about six times and it always gives the 'cannot log you in' error. Then I can login fine with the username and password fields on that page.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

not a fan i'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

I don't know if these have been mentioned already as I must admit not having read the thread ... so, apologies if it is a repeat ... :)

Some observations :

- Overall, I find the page loading slower than with the vBulletin.
    - When going back to the previous page (#tabs-myforums for example) from a thread with Chrome, the page goes back to the top instead of where I was before, requiring me to scroll back down to continue reading through the threads I am interested in.
    - It'd be great if the time stamp of the last post was visible as it was before.
    - It'd also be great if there was a little icon beside the thread title to go to the last unread post rather than having to navigate the whole way across the window to click on the number of posts.

I find the layout clear and pleasant.
    Keep up the good work :)

V

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement