Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Page Redesign

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

GreeBo wrote: »
    Except now they wont, because unless they are paginating they only see 12 threads?

"Latest Posts" was how I ever ventured out of my own few fora, thats not happening for me at all anymore, which I think is a huge negative.

Whats annoying me is that new posts and new threads all look the same. If we have to use that awful homepage maybe it might help if we knew which threads are new!!!

Its like we're all supposed to stay in "our forums" and not venture out and maybe learn something new :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Ah ffs, I just noticed my Filter by Category bookmark no longer works.

There is something similar with the new front page but I have to subscribe to the forum. Even then the new layout doesn't show as many posts and the formatting is poor.

Who makes these decisions?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭Mech1

You, as in Boards.ie should get a grant, no a gift, worth millions from the government, due to your new home page causing a massive increase in productivity from employees right across the country. I'm positive that its gonna make a real change to the upcoming budget statement.

Oh, btw, if you don't get that gift, I am also positive you will go out business within a year or you will revert to the old layout of your forum that works. vbull or your new software I dont care, but revert to old layout asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

God, I'm no huge fan of the new homepage but I feel for the guys in the office. It costs nothing to be polite folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Mech1 wrote: »
    You, as in Boards.ie should get a grant, no a gift, worth millions from the government, due to your new home page causing a massive increase in productivity from employees right across the country. I'm positive that its gonna make a real change to the upcoming budget statement.

Oh, btw, if you don't get that gift, I am also positive you will go out business within a year or you will revert to the old layout of your forum that works. vbull or your new software I dont care, but revert to old layout asap.

Only another nearly 600,000 members to go then.

Honestly, some people.

• Advertisement

infinite scroll? http://nooooooooooooooo.com

How will we ever get to the beautiful team page link in the footer then?

That is the single greatest thing I've seen online in a long time.
    Mech1 wrote: »

Or what will likely happen is that only you will go for a few weeks, come back and get back to using the new layout.

I really don't see the hassle of it, but some people just like to complain for the sake of complaining.

Czarcasm wrote: »
    Only another nearly 600,000 members to go then.

Honestly, some people.

Your bold highlighting is taking a portion of my post out of context, let me clarify.

I don't care what software, what "new API" is used. All I want is a homepage that replicates as near as possible the old / last layout.

Honestly, some people are beyond themselves at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

To be honest, it's grown on me, I use it pretty much the same way as the last one.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,507 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

While some of the functionality seems to have been restored the waste of space is still really annoying.

Old page v New page
    261895.jpg261894.jpg

one new line takes up the same space as 2 and a quarter old ones. Compress it for the love of god so it provides a useful amount of text per screen.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The changes are necessary to increase revenue so boards can pay developers to make the changes...?

Seeing as the UI is the most visible change, would it not make sense for the UI expert to contribute to the thread instead of developers and marketing repeatedly stating it's not their area? Nobody has given clear explanation for the decision to waste all the space and make identifying forum names harder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

OSI wrote: »
    My god. Something I don't pay for has changed and I'm mildly inconvenienced as I don't understand the reasoning. And frankly, I'm outraged.

I do pay for it, can I be outraged? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Nicola

The changes are necessary to increase revenue so boards can pay developers to make the changes...?

Seeing as the UI is the most visible change, would it not make sense for the UI expert to contribute to the thread instead of developers and marketing repeatedly stating it's not their area? Nobody has given clear explanation for the decision to waste all the space and make identifying forum names harder.

I'm not sure where you've inferred that there was any statement from 'marketing' about this, we don't have a marketing department.

I'll reiterate what I have said before, the homepage changes were not made to increase revenue.

The intention was not to waste space or make identifying forum names more difficult, rather the opposite was the aim of the design.

This is an emotive but very subjective topic, it's impossible to please everyone all of the time but we're really not disregarding the sentiments expressed here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

quarryman wrote: »
    Ah ffs, I just noticed my Filter by Category bookmark no longer works.

There is something similar with the new front page but I have to subscribe to the forum. Even then the new layout doesn't show as many posts and the formatting is poor.

Who makes these decisions?!

Indeed I was going to despoil some virgin threads but I can't find them! The category filters were dead handy. Nothing about the new design fits that description.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Or what will likely happen is that only you will go for a few weeks, come back and get back to using the new layout.

I really don't see the hassle of it, but some people just like to complain for the sake of complaining.

So thats why there are 46 pages on this thread, because some people just like to complain?

Alot of people are very unhappy with the change, and also unhappy with why there has been no reason given for the change. On a Wednesday Boards.ie worked fine for me, on the Thursday it stopped working the way it used to and Ive been told to move on and get used to it. The only thing functioning as it used to is www.boards.ie/? which we have been told is disappearing soon as well. That poster is right, I certainly have used boards less in the last few days. Browsing the site is not as easy as it used to be. Stumbling on to threads on forums I wouldn't normally visit is not as easy as it was. I now have bookmarked my usual threads that i visit and I go directly to them and thats it.
    My god. Something I don't pay for has changed and I'm mildly inconvenienced as I don't understand the reasoning. And frankly, I'm outraged.

Oh so because I don't pay for it, I can't have an opinion? Considering this is a discussion forum thats just idiotic.

I'm not sure where you've inferred that there was any statement from 'marketing' about this, we don't have a marketing department.

I'll reiterate what I have said before, the homepage changes were not made to increase revenue.

The intention was not to waste space or make identifying forum names more difficult, rather the opposite was the aim of the design.

I think the poster was inferring that from the absence of a reason for the change. I know you say the intention was to not waste space, but the new UI wastes more space than the previous one did, which leaves one wondering if there is some other reason for the change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

Not a fan of the homepage, but kudos to the boards team for at least implementing some changes. All this has got to be hard to hear.
    OSI wrote: »

Yeah, because there's no such thing as ad revenue!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

LizT wrote: »
    God, I'm no huge fan of the new homepage but I feel for the guys in the office. It costs nothing to be polite folks.

They are far worse than both hitler and father fintan stack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Nicola

syklops wrote: »
    I think the poster was inferring that from the absence of a reason for the change. I know you say the intention was to not waste space, but the new UI wastes more space than the previous one did, which leaves one wondering if there is some other reason for the change.

Primary reasons behind the changes are here

And Danny explains the logic behind the UI here.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

Front page not showing any threads with:
    IE9 security setting to high, boards.ie & b-static.net within trusted sites.
    Tested security setting set to Medium-High and it works.

What am I missing? should I add another site to Trusted sites. Assume it's Java related

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Boards.ie: Rónán

Tomk1 wrote: »
    Front page not showing any threads with:
    IE9 security setting to high, boards.ie & b-static.net within trusted sites.
    Tested security setting set to Medium-High and it works.

What am I missing? should I add another site to Trusted sites. Assume it's Java related

Not familiar with IE9's security handling, will fire up the dev box here and take a look when i get a chance.

We serve jQuery via Google's CDN though, maybe try add ajax.googleapis.com to the trusted sites in the meantime, see if that helps.

If that doesn't work would you mind starting up a thread over in site development detailing your current setup and we'll take it from there. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭mlumley

I hate it, and go on boards less because of it. Why fix what aint broke?

logging out once more, this is site is getting old fast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭N64

"you can't please everybody" too bad the people who actually like the site are in the minority. The design is terrible - end of discussion. I really don't see the logic why you are just shovelling aside the feedback we are giving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

My final go at butchering up the homepage in paint. Managed to fit double the amount of threads in same screen space @ 1920x1080

Basically 2 homepages in 1 so can use multiple tabs at once :)

http://i.imgur.com/Wo73lqW.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

I've stopped going to boards on my pc.nothing has changed on my phone so i use that.
    ffs can't you just put it back the way it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

I've not read the 18 pages of comments..

Has anyone from the dev/design team replied ? .. Are they going to go back to the normal one ? .. it was way better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

crazygeryy wrote: »
    I've stopped going to boards on my pc.nothing has changed on my phone so i use that.
    ffs can't you just put it back the way it was.

This. Only browsing on my phone now, not the PC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Well I have taken the opportunity to find new and interesting websites.

I have discovered sites I never knew existed - so thanks boards.ie for making the place less palatable because it pushed me out of my comfort zone and towards what the internet is really about - cute pictures of cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Really starting to feel sorry for the Boards.ie reps now.

• Advertisement

Really starting to feel sorry for the Boards.ie reps now.

I feel sorry for them too because they didnt design the UI nor did they make the decision to make the change. Shame those people haven't the guts to come on here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement