Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New flower border preparation

• 25-04-2013 6:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭

So I am going to revive an old garden border thats grown over.
    Its now full of grass and weeks, including the dreaded ground elder

Ive started digging the whole thing out so it will be just mud and earth, but should I put new top soil on it, rotatvate it, or spray it?
    Its clay, but not heavy clay. and the plan is to plant it up with perinnals etc

Its about 15ft\20ft square and I plan putting a path down the middle of it
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Ugh, ground elder.

With sprays... could have sprayed it a with somthing systemic, like roundup. That would give it a chance to get into the roots.

Then, once the fliage was all dead, clear it and add a ground barrier, like groundclear, and leave the bed empty for a season to make sure the ground elder was gone.

Then dig it over, add soild improvers and plant it up.

Or, What you could also do, is the manual approach... Dig the crap out of it, plant vigorous large things that will block the light from the weeds, and keep a very close eye on it, pulling any shoots of it that you see. More work, but at least you can plant this year.

Advertisement