Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

presentations

Options
  • 25-04-2013 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

Would most third level courses require presentations during the year? i'm doing a Fetac course at the minute and would like to go to third level next year, but i hate/cant do presentations. They seem to just take over my life in the weeks leading up to them.

I'm thinking of doing nursing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭rob w

Im in an engineering course, so cant speak for nursing courses, but i think most third level degrees will incorporate presentations at some point during your studies. Everyone hates presentations, myself included, but all you can do is get on with it and they get easier after time, dont let something like that put you off! You'll be glad of the experience afterwards!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Have you thought of joining toastmasters?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ciderswigger

As mentioned above, don't let it put you off because they definitely do get easier with time. I was sure that I'd make a fool of myself/not supply the correct information/mess up my words and slides but after the first tutorial and seeing the rubbish the younger students passed off I felt much more at ease. :D

You're already thinking about it so you'll obviously put in the effort to make decent presentations. You'll only have a specific topic (I'm assuming, I'm not doing nursing) and most likely will have a time/slide limit so you won't be able to let it take over your life. All you have to do is relax and keep smiling.

Like the Salsa said, Toastmasters is great if public speaking isn't your bag.

Advertisement