Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tax advise for additional income for web developers

Options
  • 25-04-2013 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

Hi I'm.looking to get some info on what to claim as expense as webdeveloper. I have a full time roll but have additional income which has got to point that I would like to declare it before I.put it in personal account but question is what can I claim for before submitting additional income declaration.

I.have domain and hosting charges, software charges and hd purchases all of which were required for me to do my job, can I claim for all of these in total? what about business cards or advertising can I.claim any of this back? Also if I put some.into a pension would this save me money.

I will talk to account but thought you guys might have some experience.

Cheers B

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

swordsinfo wrote: »
    ... have additional income which has got to point that I would like to declare it before I.put it in personal account but question is what can I claim for before submitting additional income declaration.

Ahh, you don't have a choice about whether you would like to declare additional income or not: it is illegal not to declare income you receive, end of.

My guess is that yes, you can claim domain registrations and hosting and other costs directly associated with the income. If you work from home, you can probably claim a portion of your rent, heating etc too.

But really, you need professional advice, ie an accountant, not randoms on the interweb. Make sure that you get one who understands teh type of business model you have (income from developing for clients vs from advertising sales vs advertising program membership).

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭swordsinfo

Jebus - dont get me wrong - i ment the time of year i start to process the tax one lump sum or continually throughout the year. My questing was more of that the business model put I suppose a decent account will know the inside and out of most services. I jsut wanted to be more knowledgeable before going the funds over to the account and tell them to go for their best!

I have a pretty good record of what has come in and what has gone out so should be ok - I was just thinking along the lines of am I better to put an advert in the paper or put it into a pension fund rather than put it all in the tax lads hands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Be wary of conflict of interest with your employer now and your freelance work as declaring this will affect your tax credits so they'll know something is going on.

its already in the higher bracket so freelance work will be delt with at the higher end of the scale

• Advertisement
Advertisement