Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BANDSCAN THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Dipole Keith

That was the joke 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭JDxtra

So I have given "Now 90s" a little time to settle down and sort out their unexpected new direction before passing judgement.

Times up - and in my opinion, it's very poor. It's all over the place and serving no group of listeners. There are more reasons to turn off than tune in. Is it a general 90s station? Is it a dance station? I’ve no idea. It makes no sense.

I actually don't understand the crude change over from a dance to a 90s station in the first place. Yet, there are still some dance DJs on the odd evening as if nothing changed? When they finish, back to the 90s it is.

I thought I was hearing a lot of repetition and some odd playlist choices, so I recorded the station over a 2 hour period today. Below is what they played in the order played. The selection of music on the playlist is limited. They even played the same songs within minutes of each other in the exact same order! There was no sign of any imaging at all and no adverts were played. DJ Miko - What's Up was played 3 times in an hour. Unforgivable.

Wamdue Project - King of My Castle
    Alex Party - Don't Give Me Your Life
    Coolio - Gangsta's Paradise
    Blue Pearl - Naked In The Rain
    The Shamen - Ebeneezer Goode
    Fugees - Killing Me Softly
    Rozalla - Everybody's Free
    DJ Miko - What's Up
    Grace - Not Over Yet
    MC Sar & The Real McCoy - Run Away
    Blur - Song 2
    Chumbawamba - Tubthumping (I Get Knocked Down)
    Wheatus - Teenage Dirtbag
    DJ Miko - What's Up
    2 Unlimited - Get Ready For This
    The Supermen Lovers - Starlight
    Culture Beat - Mr. Vain
    Ace of Base - All That She Wants
    Simply Red - Fairground
    Olive - You're not Alone
    George Michael - Fastlove
    Blur - Song 2
    Chumbawamba - Tubthumping (I Get Knocked Down)
    Wheatus - Teenage Dirtbag
    DJ Miko - What's Up
    2 Unlimited - Get Ready For This
    Binary Finary - 1998
    Dr. Alban - It's My Life
    R.E.M. - Losing My Religion
    The Good Men - Give It Up
    PF Project - Choose Life
    Mark Morrison - Return of the Mack
    Sash! - Encore Une Fois
    Mystic - Ritmo De La Noche
    Fatman Scoop - Be Faitjful
    Heavy D - Now That We Found Love

After that, it went into a dance mix that has been played numerous times before. Very disappointing when there was potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭radioguru02

When I was in Dublin a few weeks ago Fresh’s playlisting system was the same: all over the place with a lot of reppetition
    Still not sure if it was a limited number of songs or if some just tended to be played very frequently somehow

Also worth mentioning is that no station should play songs like the explicit version of Outhere Brothers - Don't Stop (Wiggle Wiggle). I heard this on Now FM the other afternoon (and again this evening). It's really inapproriate for broadcast. Anyone with family in a car for example will just never listen to the station again if they heard that being played. Just a bit of cop on lads.

They were playing that very song about five minutes ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Sunnyboy11

JDxtra wrote: »
    Also worth mentioning is that no station should play songs like the explicit version of Outhere Brothers - Don't Stop (Wiggle Wiggle). I heard this on Now FM the other afternoon (and again this evening). It's really inapproriate for broadcast. Anyone with family in a car for example will just never listen to the station again if they heard that being played. Just a bit of cop on lads.
    I fully endorse what you commented on inappropriate music of any form should never be played on radio. I heard a song on Fresh FM a number of weeks ago I don’t know what the name of the song was but it was saying terrible things about the pope using the f word, not very nice particularly if children were listening to it. A bit of common sense would be the order of day from some of these guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Fresh dj

ALL THE BEST GOODBYE FROM ME NOT COMING BACK

EVERY ONE IS JUST MOANING MOANING MOANING MOANING

keep on truckin ladys....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

Fresh dj wrote: »
    ALL THE BEST GOODBYE FROM ME NOT COMING BACK

EVERY ONE IS JUST MOANING MOANING MOANING MOANING

keep on truckin ladys....
    I'm glad .Hopefully that means you are pulling the plug on the biscuit tin .And leaving it to people that know what there doing .

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Dublins anorak

Did a long recording of Now 90s today just to figure out what's happening.

Over the period, they played 142 songs - 91 of these were unique. There were 11 songs played 3 times each (Wamdue Project, Ebeneezer Goode, Return Of The Mack, Mambo Number 5, Dr. Alban, Mr. Vain etc.). One song was played 5 times (it was K-Klass and "Let Me Show You"). Multiple songs were played more than once in the same hour.

There was no imaging or adverts played.

Questionable music choices aside, it looks like a combination of limited tracks in the playlist and no rules in the playout system.
    Jesus JD in fairness to you haven't failed on your analysing of the now operation in the last while I would say nearly you are listener number one in my opinion to do the analysing you have done sounds to me you really don't like that operation in my opinion there is worse on the band that are not far away from 88 1 that you don't really seem to talk about just my opinion I have been watching for the last few days and have noticed your comments about that operation constantly seems to me you have a bee in your bonnet with them just my opinion JD don't get ratty......

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Dipole Keith

Now FM 88.1 off air since yesterday, The internet stream is still working.

• Advertisement

Now FM 88.1 off air since yesterday, The internet stream is still working.

Is the biscuit tin on 99.5 fm still operating?

I will retract my recent comments regarding Now 90s. I do genuinely try to point out helpful areas for improvement for most stations, but I accept that I was overly critical of one station. No harm was meant, and I wish the station and operators well and a quick return to FM.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭hustlergraham

Sunnyboy11 wrote: »
    Is the biscuit tin on 99.5 fm still operating?

It was last night when I checked. The night before it had very bad distortion. Another one who hasn't a clue what their at.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

i forgot to post this last night but now fm are off due to a power outage at their transmission site, according to their facebook.
    i believe dublin had bad lightening yesterday? presumably it's something to do with that.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Fisherman Sam

Now fm or 90's is pure tripe. Spents most of its time on silence and when it is playing music its the same 50 songs over n over. Waste of time and money from the owners better off shutting up shop at this stage it never took off now it's being killed by retronow and 1025kiss both much better stations

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭turbocab

Now fm or 90's is pure tripe. Spents most of its time on silence and when it is playing music its the same 50 songs over n over. Waste of time and money from the owners better off shutting up shop at this stage it never took off now it's being killed by retronow and 1025kiss both much better stations

you could say the same about 103.8fm about the 50 songs over and over

turbocab wrote: »
    you could say the same about 103.8fm about the 50 songs over and over

You could but when i turn that on at least its playing music. Now is sh1t

Great to hear Phever on FM during the day time across Dublin, and with live DJs.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭hustlergraham

You could but when i turn that on at least its playing music. Now is sh1t

Your right, sh*t station & sh*t djs. I think they thought that by changing their genre of music that it's gonna be huge and take off. Could have worked if they did it properly and had the right people on board.

It's not just Now FM, it's Hot FM too. Can't understand how they have lasted so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

speaking of shot fm, are there any djs on there now apart from fk?
    i give a look in now and then and i haven't heard any.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

speaking of shot fm, are there any djs on there now apart from fk?
    i give a look in now and then and i haven't heard any.

No regulars, the odd show here and there

Great to hear Phever on FM during the day time across Dublin, and with live DJs.

Yes superb I’m sure they’ll attract many listeners from when they were on 91.6 KEEP UP THE LIVE PROGRAMS AND I’M SURE YOU WILL GET PLENTY OF RESPONSE FROM MANY PEOPLE

Sad that between Maynooth and Carlow, aside from overspill from Dublin in parts of Kildare, there wasn’t a pirate to be had
    Nothing in Carlow and didn’t pick Flirt up either

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭hibits

i forgot to post this last night but now fm are off due to a power outage at their transmission site, according to their facebook.
    i believe dublin had bad lightening yesterday? presumably it's something to do with that.

Now is gone. Nobody would ever have guessed that Hot FM would outlast them.

hibits wrote: »
    Now is gone. Nobody would ever have guessed that Hot FM would outlast them.

Were did you see that

This evenings bandscan, from up in Liffey Valley car park...

88.8 Easy - 27dB
    91.0 Hot FM - 30dB
    94.3 Phever - 23dB
    98.9 All 80s (local only)
    99.5 Fresh 99 - 14dB
    102.5 Kiss - 36dB
    105.7 No. 1 FM (local only)
    107.1 RetroNow - 35dB

The Cube was on 93.2 earlier but was off when I did the scan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Not a lot of love for Now 90s ...they are stuck between a rock and a hard place - be too pro with 90s and risk a raid or keep a low profile by playing more dance.

In other news - Spirit are the only applicants for their licence renewal (hence it will be fast tracked ) while Q102 have competition for the renewal of their licence

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Dublins anorak

Were did you see that

Very good question they might have next week's lotto numbers as well but don't go with them 😉😉😉

Infoanon wrote: »
    Not a lot of love for Now 90s ...they are stuck between a rock and a hard place - be too pro with 90s and risk a raid or keep a low profile by playing more dance.

In other news - Spirit are the only applicants for their licence renewal (hence it will be fast tracked ) while Q102 have competition for the renewal of their licence

Too pro these lads can't even keep it playing music. More money than sense

• Advertisement

Now FM’s webstream is not working now either

Advertisement