Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BANDSCAN THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Xtreme - their site leaves a number of black spots (increasing power won't resolve this ).

Dublin bandscan / comments :

87.5 Unid - increased power , not the best frequency, risk of interference outside band II is high without good filters,good filters are not in use imho
    87.6 Chill FM - Suffering a lot of interference from the Unid above beyond Dublin South West. Good frequency.
    88.1 Pirate FM - new station with eclectic playlist. Strong signal. Good frequency but for a pirate only available for 11 months of the year .
    91.0fm long vacated by Hot FM, not a good frequency choice for any station.
    91.6fm Used by Pirates since the 80s but since late 18 a frequency that is one to be avoided by a pirate. A frequency that is clear and available for legal use.
    92.0 FM Retro FM - good signal predominantly South East. Clear Frequency, Retro only broadcast on Sundays these days
    93.2 FM was vacated by Easy to make way for Connect FM - Connect rarely make appearances on FM , the frequency suffers a lot of interference from RnaG
    94.3 Most recently used by Phever - the frequency is one of the two primarily used by Temps so is best avoided
    96.0 used by low power local in the past , used by a city centre pirate from time to time , BBC R4 can be received clearly in many parts of the city.
    8.4 90s Network - strongest on the Northside, clear Frequency but suffers interference from BBC R1 on 98.3
    99.0/99.1 Used by Pirates in the past but have been avoided since ITT year long experimental use a few years ago
    99.3 Relay of Energy AM - Energy have made clear that it is not them and it is not announced on air. Surprisingly good frequency (especially if 99.4 is not in use )
    99.5 Easy FM - most recently occupied by the now departed Fresh FM - clear Frequency and licenced for legal use in Dublin (?) But only available 11 months of the year
    101.2 Used by Connect FM a while back
    102.5 Kiss currently off air - frequency was used in the past but Lite FM in the day would not tolerate any pirate close to them
    104.0/.1 Used by Pirates in the past - the issue has been interference to Shannonside
    105.2 See 94.3
    105.7 The Beach (was The Vault ) on SE , RetroNow in SW , good frequency though NewsTalk have complained in the past allegedly
    107.1 Xtreme , very good frequency, xtreme site causes them some issues
    107.3 Licenced for use in Dublin. (Suffers significant interference from Newstalk however )
    107.8 Used occasionally for temps in Dublin
    108.0 Ocassionally used by a low power Unid pirate

1395 AM Energy AM - operating at reduced power of 400 watts afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 5,903 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Thanks for sharing the info, spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Dipole Keith

1025KISS back on in the last few minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Mr. MooYagi

1025KISS back on in the last few minutes

Who else? Not able to get every station on the banscan

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Apart from those already mentioned for today, Energy (Power) AM was back on 1395 kh Medium Wave.

• Advertisement

Someone was tuning a transmitter earlier, the blank carrier was switched between 99.5 & 88.8 & seems to have settled back on 99.5, I’m guessing it’s Easy Radio, I don’t know how a station is meant to gain listeners changing frequency all the time, On one minute off the next.

Someone was tuning a transmitter earlier, the blank carrier was switched between 99.5 & 88.8 & seems to have settled back on 99.5, I’m guessing it’s Easy Radio, I don’t know how a station is meant to gain listeners changing frequency all the time, On one minute off the next.

PI codes help a lot (though Easy have also changed this from time to time).

The carrier now on 99.5 is 20db down on the previous Easy transmissions. Easy where on 99.5 earlier in the day with programming.

In fairness to Easy I am sure they would love to have a frequency that they didn't have to move off every few months.

Infoanon wrote: »
    PI codes help a lot (though Easy have also changed this from time to time).

The carrier now on 99.5 is 20db down on the previous Easy transmissions. Easy where on 99.5 earlier in the day with programming.

In fairness to Easy I am sure they would love to have a frequency that they didn't have to move off every few months.

The average length of the stations on 107.1 seems to be six months and it never has been affected by temporary license runs. That's the one for Easy to keep an eye on, I think!

The average length of the stations on 107.1 seems to be six months and it never has been affected by temporary license runs. That's the one for Easy to keep an eye on, I think!

Newstalk would kick up regardless. 106 - 108 seen as their patch. Perhaps that is why nobody stays...

Trax on the frequency nearly 2 years

• Advertisement

You’ll find Trax we’re on that frequency for nearly 2 years

Okay, it just seemed like that. Never let the truth get in the way of a good story! Actually, it proves my point really about it being a frequency which is relatively untroubled by legal stations.

Okay, it just seemed like that. Never let the truth get in the way of a good story! Actually, it proves my point really about it being a frequency which is relatively untroubled by legal stations.

Thought Trax were on dab only

Thought Trax were on dab only

They were an FM pirate first. For about 10 years, there has been a succession of dance pirates on that frequency.

In fairness to Easy I am sure they would love to have a frequency that they didn't have to move off every few months.[/quote]

Plenty of frequencies now on the band in Dublin it’s gone fairly quite.

Tonik where on more than 2 years as well iirc, Non stop 90s lasted 10 months but their mainstream approach and airing of ads counted against them.

Trax came off fm in early 19

Infoanon wrote: »
    Tonik where on more than 2 years as well iirc, Non stop 90s lasted 10 months but their mainstream approach and airing of ads counted against them.

Trax came off fm in early 19

I forgot about Non Stop 90s, but they did have a sprinkling of dance tunes in their mix!

This is the recent history of 107.1 in Dublin for city wide coverage:

Non-Stop 90's - March 2016 to October 2016 (it started on 88.1 FM in late December 2015)
    Trax - April 2017 to March 2019
    RetroNow - April 2019 to August 2019 (also used afterwards before moving to current home of 105.7)
    Extreme - November 2019 - present

Before that, it was used by Tonik until early 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭kazoo106

And RINCE

JDxtra wrote: »

Non-Stop 90's - March 2016 to October 2016 (it started on 88.1 FM in late December 2015)
    RetroNow - April 2019 to August 2019 (also used afterwards before moving to current home of 105.7)

And before Tonik there was a dance pirate called Kiss on 107.1, one of many using that name! That would have been 2010.

kazoo106 wrote: »
    And RINCE

Rince used 94.3 initialy but was mostly on 88.1 until October 2016 if I remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

JDxtra wrote: »

it's been in use more or less since 2008, with tonik being the longest user.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

So, it seems like a good frequency to use when it is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

And before Tonik there was a dance pirate called Kiss on 107.1, one of many using that name! That would have been 2010.

kiss was on 107.9, originally it was on 94.6, it moved due to the coming of 4fm.
    the station previous to tonik on 107.1 was called crash fm, i think tonik was effectively a relaunch of it but i cannot confirm that for definite.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

I’d say much longer than 2008, I remember stations in the 90s using that frequency, The Vibe 107.1 comes to mind.

I’d say much longer than 2008, I remember stations in the 90s using that frequency, The Vibe 107.1 comes to mind.

Yes, it was used by Vibe (this was like a competitor to Club 106.4 back in the mid-90s). Years later Club FM renamed itself as The Vibe.

Alice's Restaurant November 91 iirc where on 107.1 (initially launched on 106.4).

Fantastic signal and audio later switching to 107.7 then 107.9 renamed as X FM

Later The Vibe launched on 107.1, the owner sadly passed away in a car crash and his wife sold the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Is there anywhere to read about pirate radio history from the 90s or is it all top secret? Like the way sunset fm became club then vibe. And kiss 101 became power 98.7 then went online.

I'm sure it would be an interesting read about these stations and the stories of the people involved.

Is there anywhere to read about pirate radio history from the 90s or is it all top secret? Like the way sunset fm became club then vibe. And kiss 101 became power 98.7 then went online.

I'm sure it would be an interesting read about these stations and the stories of the people involved.

Sunset FM did not become Club!

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Sunset FM did not become Club!

I stand corrected. In my memory lots of the same djs from sunset when it went off were on club. Same when kiss 101 went off air the same djs were on power 98.7 fm. Could be wrong about that one too.

• Advertisement

I stand corrected. In my memory lots of the same djs from sunset when it went off were on club. Same when kiss 101 went off air the same djs were on power 98.7 fm. Could be wrong about that one too.

Deejays did move around between dance stations alright. DJ Wicked, for example, went from Sunset to Club. But they were separate stations, coming from different locations and with different styles. Some of the deejays in Sunset were building up their radio experience rather than necessarily dance promotions.

Advertisement