Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BANDSCAN THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Further to previous post, Club FM started around March 1994 and Sunset finished in October 1994. Sunset FM was succeeded by Rhythm FM in November 1994. Rhythm FM was succeeded by Hot 107 in February 1995. Some time in 1996, Hot 107 was succeeded by Mix 106. At some point, there was a change of ownership in Mix 106 and some of the Club FM management got involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Further to previous post, Club FM started around March 1994 and Sunset finished in October 1994. Sunset FM was succeeded by Rhythm FM in November 1994. Rhythm FM was succeeded by Hot 107 in February 1995. Some time in 1996, Hot 107 was succeeded by Mix 106. At some point, there was a change of ownership in Mix 106 and some of the Club FM management got involved.

Tommy Stewart set up SuperQ 99.4 around 1998 if i'm correct ?

italodisco wrote: »
    Tommy Stewart set up SuperQ 99.4 around 1998 if i'm correct ?

First, there was Q95 around 1995 or 1996, which was set up by ex-Sunset and * ex-Kiss FM presenter Dave Lowe. I remember that, after Coast FM closed in February 1996, Q95 gained an extra frequency in 105.3/.4 by arrangement with Coast's owner Simon Maher. Ger Rowe, with Simon, continued their anorak hour on Sundays on that frequency, which had been on Coast FM! Q95 was rebranded as SuperQ at some stage, possibly 1998. Tommy Stewart was a presenter and may, for all I know, been the operator at that stage.

*Kiss103 - the chart station from 1993-1994, not any of the dance-specific pirates.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Regarding the pirates of the 90s there is no one definitive source of information - in the 80s Anoraks UK would provide good information, radio waves does have information and it's forum threads would probably provide a good time line - a few corrections from earlier posts :

The legendary Kiss 103 FM was on air from March 94 (after testing ) to October 94.

HOT 107 was based in Andy Prestons house - Andy got a job with FM104 - Hot was sold to Glenn Kelly.

The HOT v/o guy removed permission to use his jingles.

The station moved to Tracey Lees house iirc , for reasons unknown it stayed on 106.8 as new licenced local services where to commence - a last minute change of frequency did not avoid the inevitable and the station closed before it was raided.

Infoanon wrote: »
    Regarding the pirates of the 90s there is no one definitive source of information - in the 80s Anoraks UK would provide good information, radio waves does have information and it's forum threads would probably provide a good time line - a few corrections from earlier posts :

The legendary Kiss 103 FM was on air from March 94 (after testing ) to October 94.

HOT 107 was based in Andy Prestons house - Andy got a job with FM104 - Hot was sold to Glenn Kelly.

The HOT v/o guy removed permission to use his jingles.

The station moved to Tracey Lees house iirc , for reasons unknown it stayed on 106.8 as new licenced local services where to commence - a last minute change of frequency did not avoid the inevitable and the station closed before it was raided.

Is that when Mix106 took over from Hot107?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Dipole Keith

When you look back on it Sunset was a great station, if you go through the djs the majority of them went on to work in legal radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,903 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Fresh FM back on 99.5 in Dublin, RDS name is Fresh 99.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Mr. MooYagi

Fresh had carrier on. Very strong and very quiet. Haven't heard them on this afternoon as didn't get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Sunnyboy11

Fresh FM back on 99.5 today and sounding as usual as bad as ever, audio all over the place totally over modulated splashing like mad and in MONO. Crazy 😝 what’s coming from that dirty transmitter:😡

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Rock Solid

Is that when Mix106 took over from Hot107?

Some of the above is incorrect, Sunset closed and there was a short break, but a carrier holding the frequency for a few weeks remained on air, then the studio was moved from Gary's to Drimnagh, the station was renamed Hot 107 and was on air in 1995 until November or so, When Andy got into 104, then it was sold to Glen who owned Club, Gary sold it, it then moved to Tracy in Walkinstown, was still called Hot 107 but with no liners as the VO guy and several DJs didn't want to work with Glen, the station started in Dec 95 till early 96, then the frequency was licenced to Country Mix and a move to 105.7 was neesary and named Mix 106, which lasted till around September 96 or so, the frequency was then relaying Freedom 92 for awhile before being used by Club which were then on 105.7 and 106.4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭hibits

Sunnyboy11 wrote: »
    Fresh FM back on 99.5 today and sounding as usual as bad as ever, audio all over the place totally over modulated splashing like mad and in MONO. Crazy 😝 what’s coming from that dirty transmitter:😡

Playing dance classics like every other station. Seems pointless and poorly done.

Any one do a bandscan today?

Any one do a bandscan today?

87.6 Chill FM
    88.1 Blank carrier
    99.5 Fresh
    105.2 Easy
    105.7 RetroNow
    107.1 Xtreme

I personally can't pick up 87.5 or 98.4 but they may have active broadcasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

Was in Dublin today, Have noticed xtreme sounding a lot better although a bit patchy north of the M50.
    1025Kiss sounding as good as ever.
    Retro now on 105.7 sounds good.
    And unfortunately that rubbish is back on 99.5fm.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Rock Solid wrote: »
    Some of the above is incorrect, Sunset closed and there was a short break, but a carrier holding the frequency for a few weeks remained on air, then the studio was moved from Gary's to Drimnagh, the station was renamed Hot 107 and was on air in 1995 until November or so, When Andy got into 104, then it was sold to Glen who owned Club, Gary sold it, it then moved to Tracy in Walkinstown, was still called Hot 107 but with no liners as the VO guy and several DJs didn't want to work with Glen, the station started in Dec 95 till early 96, then the frequency was licenced to Country Mix and a move to 105.7 was neesary and named Mix 106, which lasted till around September 96 or so, the frequency was then relaying Freedom 92 for awhile before being used by Club which were then on 105.7 and 106.4

i thought country mix came on around 2000/1? launched as dublin's country?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,796 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Is it known in pirate circles who is behind fresh?

JDxtra wrote: »
    87.6 Chill FM
    88.1 Blank carrier
    99.5 Fresh
    105.2 Easy
    105.7 RetroNow
    107.1 Xtreme

I personally can't pick up 87.5 or 98.4 but they may have active broadcasts.

Easy are so unlucky with their frequencies! How many is that now?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Rock Solid

i thought country mix came on around 2000/1? launched as dublin's country?

You could be correct there, it was a Country station that came on air.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,128 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Rock Solid wrote: »

Some notes.

Rhythm FM was the follow on station after Sunset. It was a weekend only operation using somewhat lower TX specs than Sunset and musically played to a more niche audience. It closed abruptly one night, with Tim Hannigan (I think) being the last DJ on air. Hot FM followed some weeks later and was more of a group effort from many of the Sunset mainstays than Rhythm FM; it came on air in and around Easter 1995.

Hot107 was sold to Club FM in December 1995 which meant effective relaunch after virtually all of the former staff left, alongside the move of premises and new imaging voiceovers. The frequency moves of the two stations in 1996 hadn't anything to do with Dublin's Country; it wasn't on air until 2001 while Radio Ireland was a year away and the communuity stations weren't in the way either. There was a country temp on at some stage; is this what you are thinking of? I ought to remember but can't (I blame beer and harmonics :pac: ) as to what was what. I can certainly remember the hullabaloo at the time and both Club FM and Mix 106 were hours away from raid parties until they voluntarily came off air.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭Infoanon

The station that was launching iirc was 9/7/11 fm on the Monday evening and Hot where still on 106.8 on the Sunday (if not even later ) despite plenty of warnings.

When HOT ceased to avoid the raid - their farewell recording is around somewhere - an 80s station with IDS and VOS in Spanish briefly appeared on 105.7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

Sir Dosser wrote: »
    Is it known in pirate circles who is behind fresh?

I think its one person with no experience whatsoever , This must be the 3rd of 4th year of them testing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

You folks that are band-scanning, any particular radios you are using?

I've been looking at this style one for a while and thinking of picking one up soon!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/RADIWOW%C2%AE-Digital-Portable-Receiver-activities/dp/B07MNCQWWP/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=FM+%2FLW%2FSW%2FMW+%2FAIR%2FDSP&qid=1578502903&sr=8-3

Wish they could scan DAB bands too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Sunnyboy11

It’s a total rubbish setup a waste of time . It’s pollution on the airwaves 99.5 FM

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Oscarziggy

marcbrophy wrote: »
    You folks that are band-scanning, any particular radios you are using?

I've been looking at this style one for a while and thinking of picking one up soon!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/RADIWOW%C2%AE-Digital-Portable-Receiver-activities/dp/B07MNCQWWP/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=FM+%2FLW%2FSW%2FMW+%2FAIR%2FDSP&qid=1578502903&sr=8-3

Wish they could scan DAB bands too :D
    If it was me I'd be spending the extra few pounds/euros and get the XHDATA D-808 as it has SSB as well.

Oscarziggy wrote: »
    If it was me I'd be spending the extra few pounds/euros and get the XHDATA D-808 as it has SSB as well.
    Yes, have that and it's good. Not documented is the fact that the antenna input does also work for FM. Radio text only shows as upper case, but that's a minor gripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Oscarziggy wrote: »
    JDxtra wrote: »
    Yes, have that and it's good. Not documented is the fact that the antenna input does also work for FM. Radio text only shows as upper case, but that's a minor gripe.

Thanks, assume it's the one below? :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/XHDATA-Portable-Digital-External-Rechargeable/dp/B077Z2P28F/ref=pd_bxgy_23_3/258-5617396-9765767?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B077Z2P28F&pd_rd_r=9fe3dab7-ec6b-42fd-930e-b85b0e9404c6&pd_rd_w=fef2l&pd_rd_wg=KPPbq&pf_rd_p=6f720012-7a84-4e92-a268-5ba72c1e4b52&pf_rd_r=EH5W34W9RC6VPGNZSD00&psc=1&refRID=EH5W34W9RC6VPGNZSD00

I'll keep that in mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,128 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Pirate FM was on 88.1FM this evening, and churning out some SuperQ type music and sung jingles. Meanwhile 87.5FM appeared to have been on this evening as well, with it's regular dance music output bleeding away.

Sunnyboy11 wrote: »
    It’s a total rubbish setup a waste of time . It’s pollution on the airwaves 99.5 FM

It's complete muck. Horrendous audio. Over modulating, distorted and check out the spelling on their RDS. As someone said, waste of a good frequency. Seriously need somebody who knows what they're doing cause they don't. Not one to knock somebody trying but this isn't even trying.....

Carrier on 105.3 this morning I picked up enroute across toll bridge to city centre. Not xmas fm as they went off a day or two ago. Was quiet bit not very strong. Anybody else get it,,?

• Advertisement

Carrier on 105.3 this morning I picked up enroute across toll bridge to city centre. Not xmas fm as they went off a day or two ago. Was quiet bit not very strong. Anybody else get it,,?

Easy Radio has been on 105.2 this week. Maybe it's them.

Advertisement