Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BANDSCAN THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Mr. MooYagi

Anybody do full bandscan today?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Dublindj2020

I'm so sick of not being able to tune in to a dance station while on the road! The only station i could pick up was that fresh 99 muck! And as for 104, 98 and spin! Load of my balls. Same Ed sheeran song on the 3 stations at one time yesterday then a few hours later the same thing happened with a sam smith song! Really??? Wtf is going on its an absolute joke variety me bleedin hoop! They are all the same and all play the exact same tripe! Whoever is on 107.1 start playing something pleaaaase!!
    RANT OVER!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Infoanon wrote: »
    The Unid on 87.5 has re appeared coinciding with the commencement of the higher powered All 80s appearing on 94.3.
    At the moment All 80s is just playing 80s music with no IDS and gaps between tracks.

98.4 RDS has changed to the 60s are back

105.7 the Beach and 107.1 tbc are on a blank carrier at the moment.

Retro 92 & Energy unofficial relay on 99.3 are both on this weekend

I have heard All 80s intermittently over the weekend and it's mainly but not completely 80s music! For example, I heard Wonderwall by Oasis, from the 90s, and We Gotta Get Out of This Place by The Animals, from the 60s! Maybe the RDS is wrong.

Today I heard 5 different stations that are oldies-oriented, or mainly oldies-oriented (in the case of Easy): Energy Power AM, Pirate FM (88.1), All 80s, Retro FM (92.0) and Easy Radio (105.2). Then you have that other station on 98.4. That makes six.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭radioguru02

What are Fresh playing these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Mr. MooYagi

What are Fresh playing these days?

****e!

• Advertisement

****e of what nature? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Sunnyboy11

****e of what nature? :D

Your are wasting your time trying to put some sense into this guy with what he is dishing out on the radio. It’s just a one man show operating. For many years people who do know how to operate a radio station have put comments up on boards telling him what he is dishing out is rubbish but unfortunately he has decided to take no notice, so I think lads let him continue to play with his Fred Flinstone toy dishing out muck and let the right people do the right thing and bring this horrible episode to an end once and for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭hibits

91.0,91.6,93.2,101.2,102.5?,107.8 also come to mind - why they chose 87.5 is beyond me.

Re 1025 Kiss , we don't know how much damage was done to their aerial system,if the TX was also damaged and/or if the infamous letters have headed their way
    Kiss fm were off air at the start of January too remember. Seems like the dream was failing and then the wind then killed it off.

99.5 is a joke yes but it has been left alone by the powers that be. Its not a threat to licenced stations and there must be no reported cases of interference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Bandscan for today vs weekends

87.5 Unid - Dance music with no IDS, went off the air on Sunday afternoon
    87.6 Chill - on air 24/7
    88.1 Pirate FM - eclectic mix of music - now carrying ads - on air 24/7
    92.0 Retro - Sunday only station
    93.2 Was All 80s which has now moved to 94.3
    94.3 All 80s - 80s music (despite the very ocassional 60s track) , no IDS , gaps between tracks but good signal, good audio and some 'radio' favourites being played - whoever is behind this knows their music! (And has access to hard to get tracks).weekends only station
    98.4 Baby ! - non stop 60s - no IDS yet , excellent music from that era , on air Friday to Sunday
    99.3 Energy AM relay , weekends only
    99.5 Fresh - Dance music 24/7
    105.2 Easy FM , weekends and normally from 5pm in the evening time weekdays
    105.7 The Beach - currently off air, normally 24/7
    107.1 Blank Carrier - on air
    1395AM Energy , Friday to Sunday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭nikon1000

I'm hearing a decent signal on 1494khz here in Mayo since Sunday. Relay of Coast FM Tenerife. Sounds good during the day but not so good at night as you'd expect.

I don't say this lightly and I'm all for encouraging radio etc. Check out the latest RDS on Fresh 99.5. A completely ridiculous story as it can only be described. You'll need half a day to (A). fully read it (B). decipher the appalling spelling and grammar and (C). understand what they are actually trying to say. Needless to say if they xant even get any of that correct it speaks volumes about their ability to get anything right. Comreg do us all a favour etc etc.....

What's the bet that nothing happens on the 16th. He didn't mention which month or year I suppose.

FRESH 99
    DAYS FROM TODAY 16TH 100 TIMES
    BOOST ON 99.5 FM DUBLIN AND -
    SURROUNDING AREAS LIKE LOUTH
    BE PATIENT 20,20 BLAST OFF TIME.
    BROADCASTING FROM A FAR LAND
    ON FM AND SOON ONLINE 247/365

Bandscan for today vs weekends

87.5 Unid - Dance music with no IDS, went off the air on Sunday afternoon
    87.6 Chill - on air 24/7
    88.1 Pirate FM - eclectic mix of music - now carrying ads - on air 24/7
    92.0 Retro - Sunday only station
    93.2 Was All 80s which has now moved to 94.3
    94.3 All 80s - 80s music (despite the very ocassional 60s track) , no IDS , gaps between tracks but good signal, good audio and some 'radio' favourites being played - whoever is behind this knows their music! (And has access to hard to get tracks).weekends only station
    98.4 Baby ! - non stop 60s - no IDS yet , excellent music from that era , on air Friday to Sunday
    99.3 Energy AM relay , weekends only
    99.5 Fresh - Dance music 24/7
    105.2 Easy FM , weekends and normally from 5pm in the evening time weekdays
    105.7 The Beach - currently off air, normally 24/7
    107.1 Blank Carrier - on air
    1395AM Energy , Friday to Sunday

Are Chill full-time now? Excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

Dundalk DAB mix :
    ABC Dublin,
    Atlantis,
    CFM Canaries,
    Coast to Coast,
    ENERGY 106,
    HIT Music Radio,
    Kiss Cork,
    Nineties,
    Polish Radio IRL,
    Sovereign,
    Spektrum radio,
    Tele star 80s,
    Trance Pulse,
    Trax,
    Wild Country,
    Zenith Rock,

That's some selection, here's hoping they turn up the power as only parts of Dundalk covered

msg11 wrote: »
    If I have the time I will do full one

Dublin Pirates

North Dublin 22/04/2013

87.6 POLSKIE (LEGO) WEAK
    88.1 NRG (ENERGY) STRONG
    91.6 EASY91.6 (EASY) STRONG
    93.2 P.D.N (PLAY DANCE NETWORK) STRONG
    99.5 REAL80S (RELAY) WEAK
    107.1 ID RADIO (TONIC RADIO) STRONG

Nostalgia! :lol and easy still with us

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Dipole Keith

castle2012 wrote: »
    Dundalk DAB mix :
    ABC Dublin,
    Atlantis,
    CFM Canaries,
    Coast to Coast,
    ENERGY 106,
    HIT Music Radio,
    Kiss Cork,
    Nineties,
    Polish Radio IRL,
    Sovereign,
    Spektrum radio,
    Tele star 80s,
    Trance Pulse,
    Trax,
    Wild Country,
    Zenith Rock,

That's some selection, here's hoping they turn up the power as only parts of Dundalk covered

Is this a freedab operation or someone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,903 ✭✭✭JDxtra

It's one of the FreeDAB MUXs. They can carry different services.

Still wish FreeDAB would sort out the muxes they have, instead of always setting up new ones. What’s the point of any of it if hardly anyone can pick it up
    They claim to be broadcasting to all these places, reality is they’re not. I’m sorry

Yes it says on the rds Free Dab North East and Northern Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Still wish FreeDAB would sort out the muxes they have, instead of always setting up new ones. What’s the point of any of it if hardly anyone can pick it up
    They claim to be broadcasting to all these places, reality is they’re not. I’m sorry

just to check, you have been all around every single area they state they cover, have scanned and have checked, dab radio working fully, able to support dab and dab+, has up to date firmware if required?
    i know there are coverage issues due to postings on the thread, but from what i can see they don't seem to add up to the absolute blanket statement you have made.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

just to check, you have been all around every single area they state they cover, have scanned and have checked, dab radio working fully, able to support dab and dab+, has up to date firmware if required?
    i know there are coverage issues due to postings on the thread, but from what i can see they don't seem to add up to the absolute blanket statement you have made.

I travel extensively around Cork and have only received it twice, in one small area before it fades a mile or so later
    Sat in Waterford City Centre yesterday with a good DAB+ in-car receiver and...no luck.
    Another user in Sligo looking forward to it, comes on air and he gets nothing. It’s not yet covering Dundalk, which is not a huge area.
    At least they have admitted on Facebook that their Waterford mux is not massive scale
    Look, I love that it’s unique, always listen wherever I can pick it up and it’s carrying quality stations. I just feel that, to have any major impact, they should be focused on covering bigger (even if that means slightly fewer) areas. I’d much rather be able to recieve Trax all over Cork City than for 2km in Cork, a bit of West Dublin etc... at the moment anywhere I’ve been in Cork aside from that one area, it’s either not there or constantly fading in and out as I drive around. Unless I’m stuck in traffic in that one area, I’ll have it for a very short trip
    Great service, great stations, trying to expand way too quickly

Here's my opinion on it - an FM pirate using modest power can get pretty wide coverage. In weaker areas listeners just accept it's a pirate and suffer it fading in/out or a it being a bit "fuzzy".

DAB is different, it does have error correction - but it needs a certain level of signal to be able to listen to it. If it goes below that level you get nothing at all. So if you are in a weaker signal area, listener may need to put a little effort in to get a reliable signal.

I travel extensively around Cork and have only received it twice, in one small area before it fades a mile or so later
    Sat in Waterford City Centre yesterday with a good DAB+ in-car receiver and...no luck.
    Another user in Sligo looking forward to it, comes on air and he gets nothing. It’s not yet covering Dundalk, which is not a huge area.
    At least they have admitted on Facebook that their Waterford mux is not massive scale
    Look, I love that it’s unique, always listen wherever I can pick it up and it’s carrying quality stations. I just feel that, to have any major impact, they should be focused on covering bigger (even if that means slightly fewer) areas. I’d much rather be able to recieve Trax all over Cork City than for 2km in Cork, a bit of West Dublin etc... at the moment anywhere I’ve been in Cork aside from that one area, it’s either not there or constantly fading in and out as I drive around. Unless I’m stuck in traffic in that one area, I’ll have it for a very short trip
    Great service, great stations, trying to expand way too quickly
    I completely agree. It is great to have this new service. But they would be better off with 2-3 really good sites and pumping it out. For example I'm not sure where rté s DAB tx is, but it covers a huge amount of leinster including all of Dublin and works the whole way up the coast to Dundalk. Hope these guys get it right as I say it's a great service

RTE are probably putting out multiple Kw of ERP from Three Rock for DAB. Pirate DAB will never get a transmission site like that, and neither will they have the same power output.

Compare it to an FM pirate - if one was transmitting from a site like Three Rock with power to match the FM legals it simply wouldn't last a week!

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭kazoo106

I listened extensively to it all around Cork city last week while on a business trip - city centre, inside Jurys Hotel, in the car throughout and all the way to Little Island and beyond without any drops - Solid on Motorway north nearly to Toll - and came in for around a mile on the motorway just outside Mitchelstown.
    I can pick up the Dublin MUX on a level par with the low power tests from Dundalk in Forkhill and Crossmaglen in Co. Armagh. Those low power tests from Dundalk can be also heard clearly at Monasterboice, also on the N2 once you climb out of Ardee and in parts of Dunleer.

I find that if its raining my Car radio works much better - perhaps the antenna in the window is not properly tuned

RTE use an SFN on Three Rock, Kippure and Clermont Carn to my knowledge - Clermont Carn is very very directional - does not even reach Newry and it doesn't even make the Louth / Monaghan border

• Registered Users Posts: 49 fmfan

kazoo106 wrote: »
    I listened extensively to it all around Cork city last week while on a business trip - city centre, inside Jurys Hotel, in the car throughout and all the way to Little Island and beyond without any drops - Solid on Motorway north nearly to Toll - and came in for around a mile on the motorway just outside Mitchelstown.
    I can pick up the Dublin MUX on a level par with the low power tests from Dundalk in Forkhill and Crossmaglen in Co. Armagh. Those low power tests from Dundalk can be also heard clearly at Monasterboice, also on the N2 once you climb out of Ardee and in parts of Dunleer.

I find that if its raining my Car radio works much better - perhaps the antenna in the window is not properly tuned

RTE use an SFN on Three Rock, Kippure and Clermont Carn to my knowledge - Clermont Carn is very very directional - does not even reach Newry and it doesn't even make the Louth / Monaghan border

Could dab from Dundalk or the border area ever make an impact in Nothern Ireland. I seriously doubt it could reach Belfast. It would be nice to hear something new and fresh in the north again.

fmfan wrote: »
    Could dab from Dundalk or the border area ever make an impact in Nothern Ireland. I seriously doubt it could reach Belfast. It would be nice to hear something new and fresh in the north again.

If they got the right site yes. Back around 2003. There was a station beaming into Belfast from Dundalk called Kiss106, Unfortunately they interfered with radar in Belfast Airport, And northern Ireland authorities contacted irish authorities. The site was raided and closed and the owner of the land was subsequently charged. Its documented online

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

If they got the right site yes. Back around 2003. There was a station beaming into Belfast from Dundalk called Kiss106, Unfortunately they interfered with radar in Belfast Airport, And northern Ireland authorities contacted irish authorities. The site was raided and closed and the owner of the land was subsequently charged. Its documented online
    There was a large operation of high powered transmissions broadcasting various stations from Greagh (also known as Alien Mountain) in Co. Monaghan, purely directed at Belfast as the Irish authorities were more lax. The signals were highly directional and upto 1MW ERP in the direction of Belfast, being regularly heard on the UK mainland.

The modern day Spirit MW outlet near Carrickroe is nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Hi castle 20 12 , can you let me know where this is documented?,

The only station in 2003 that springs to mind is Energy .106 .

As Marno21 posted there was a site known as 'Alien Mountain ' (long story) which was originally the home of Kiss 103.7 from 87/88 - a border blaster.

By 2003 Magic 105 on 105.5,Energy 106.6 and Thunder 107.7. Energy was reportedly 6kw (a reconfigured ex Nova rig) into 16 5 element yagis directed at Belfast.

I do recall interference issues with Thunder but these where addressed. After Black Tuesday there where raids on the site , Energy came back as a weekend only station iirc but shortly afterwards a joint Irish and UK raiding team visited again and this time dismantled the antenna system.

It's many years ago now but I seem to recall UCB relay transmitters being left intact...

• Advertisement

Hi castle 20 12 , can you let me know where this is documented?,

The only station in 2003 that springs to mind is Energy .106 .

As Marno21 posted there was a site known as 'Alien Mountain ' (long story) which was originally the home of Kiss 103.7 from 87/88 - a border blaster.

By 2003 Magic 105 on 105.5,Energy 106.6 and Thunder 107.7. Energy was reportedly 6kw (a reconfigured ex Nova rig) into 16 5 element yagis directed at Belfast.

I do recall interference issues with Thunder but these where addressed. After Black Tuesday there where raids on the site , Energy came back as a weekend only station iirc but shortly afterwards a joint Irish and UK raiding team visited again and this time dismantled the antenna system.

It's many years ago now but I seem to recall UCB relay transmitters being left intact...

Here you go

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/argus/news/illegal-radio-signal-interfered-with-airport-landing-system-26901517.html

Advertisement