Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BANDSCAN THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭Infoanon

If raiding the freedab site, removing the transmission tower and not following precedent is the answer , what is the question?

DipoleKeith is correct, this is a warning shot and basically it's a freedab operation will not be toleranted.

Kazoo 106 and MooYagi are also correct - Radio in Ireland is in a mess - just don't tell anybody! Stop competition, cut costs and hope to get another 10 years out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Mr. MooYagi

Any saturday bandscan?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Franko87 wrote: »
    Today one of the FreedDAB sites have been hit. This was a heavy handed reckless raid with the removal of our 45 ft tower (legal criminal damage). Rest assured our second site is standing by and all services will continue soon.
    Don't let 'em keep you down, you're doing great work. I assume they took the tower and any unrelated items to frustrate your efforts at coming back but I don't know if this is standard practice with FM raids or not.
    ...DAB licencing is locked out to only BAI members only and Comreg wont licence a dab multiplex without the services that wish to be carried have a section 71 licence.
    Not true, the truth is worse than that.
    What I'm doing has merit and proves the concept that small scale stations can have access to the platform at an affordable cost while keeping the commercial stations un-challenged.and potentially keep fm pirate free.!!
    The concept was proven in the UK when Ofcom allowed a number of small-scale muxes to come on-air, on the whole the licencing regime run by Ofcom is far less ornery than here although I remain convinced that they were not entirely immune from 'loss of face' syndrome c.f. Radio Caroline.

The concept of an operational mini-mux; not spending tens of thousands on modulators, multiplexers and amplifiers; was proven here before the UK even embarked on the idea with the mini-mux that was operated by TotalBroadcast. Ofcom in the UK opened up licenses for low-power ~100W muxes and one of those was picked up by a Community Radio Station (Biggles FM).

The fact that it has been proven, the fact that such an operation would allow easy (read: in your car) access to stations other than the commercial operators, to me suggests they feel you are a threat by putting it into practice.
    Like everything in this country, we make a balls of it. We are a nation of fools. We never take note or inspiration from other countries as to how they do things. Look at the Scandinavian countries, they get most things right first go. But in Ireland we just cant. It comes down to someone's personal opinion, someone in authority who's decision making is ridiculous and has major impact on an industry, someone being influenced by someone else to prevent progress. Roads, housing, hospitals and healthcare, transport, RTE, Irish Water, BAI, Schools, need I go on. Just an example of everything that is a mess in this country. I don't understand why the BAI etc dont allow people to apply for a license to do what they feel will work as a broadcasting choice . The cream of the crop will survive and work. Its called competition. But no cause vested interests are pulling the strings.
    I've noticed this trend and its rampant across multiple sectors; sometimes we (badly) copy the UK and sometimes we just invent our own thing in complete ignorance to the lessons learned by other nations.

The BAI are funded (in part, if not entirely) by the Broadcasting Levy that they charge to all radio stations, including those on a temporary licence. While the charge is fixed (and includes VAT) for temp licence operators and community stations, as I understand it, the larger stations pay more. I strongly believe that this situation means that those very same stations carry an undue amount of influence over the BAI leading to a situation known as Regulatory Capture

The Broadcasting Act of 2009 places responsibility for licencing multiplex operators for Digital Broadcasting on the BAI, this was a fundamental mistake and should never have happened. The BAI should have no authority whatsoever over the service operators and should be confined to regulating the individual broadcasters based here and ensuring that those broadcasters have a Section 71 licence as appropriate - beyond that - a service provider should be able to apply for a licence if there's an available frequency for their intended service area - the cost of those may themselves be exorbitant but that's another discussion entirely.
    kazoo106 wrote: »
    This is the antipole of what is going on in Ireland at the moment, radio listenership is shrinking rapidly and if you don't believe me, ask anyone under 30. I completely disagree with what JNLR say about this.

I feel we may actually have reached the point of no return, helped only by a quango which thinks it is still 1995.
    If cars didn't come with radios, would anyone even know what a radio was these days? As passionate as I am about radio broadcasting and its fundamental place in society, I do agree with you and I believe that the commercial market is entirely to blame for its own gradual demise.

You'll know they're truly snookered when you hear noise about 'regulating' (or banning) radio streaming services or some such nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Dipole Keith

Was in Newry earlier and noticed 104.2 was back to -STORM- today. It Was Telstar yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭turbocab

kazoo106 wrote: »
    @Mr.MooYagi - I posted a very similar post over in the DAB thread. Sometimes the amount of red tape and cronyism involved in Ireland Inc would open one's eyes.
    I can absolutely guarantee you that the reason for what happened yesterday was not soley a breach of the Wireless Telegraphy Act.

Over the last year, through my own work, I have witnessed first hand, the stupidity, headstrongism, and downright arrogance of even the highest level of a certain government department. I have absolutely no doubt that similar issues are at play here.

Alas, incumbants and big business rule the roost and devise policy

Whomever in charge here should be actually helping radio and where possible promote the medium. Open up band III for Gods sake to a light licensing scheme and let the market decide what works and what doesnt.

This is the antipole of what is going on in Ireland at the moment, radio listenership is shrinking rapidly and if you don't believe me, ask anyone under 30. I completely disagree with what JNLR say about this.

I feel we may actually have reached the point of no return, helped only by a quango which thinks it is still 1995.

you couldn't have said it better,Iwork with all age groups and the younger age 18 to 30 say never listen to fm radio,even in there cars,its phones connected to Bluetooth ,If spin 98 and 104 went off air tomorrow nobody would bat an eyelid,as for the rest of the music fm stations sticking to there own same 200 songs everyday ,the writing is on the wall

• Advertisement

The difference in Ireland is that influence and interference from those feeling threatened by competition is that they get traction.They bring influence
    on decision making and policy. I might add, like a ton of government bodies BAI has mostly non radio people on their board. Enough said. Expect no change, see no change.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,903 ✭✭✭JDxtra

turbocab wrote: »
    you couldn't have said it better,Iwork with all age groups and the younger age 18 to 30 say never listen to fm radio,even in there cars,its phones connected to Bluetooth ,If spin 98 and 104 went off air tomorrow nobody would bat an eyelid,as for the rest of the music fm stations sticking to there own same 200 songs everyday ,the writing is on the wall

There is life left in FM (and DAB). Spotify/Android Auto/Apple Car Play/bluetooth etc. are what is in demand from yonger generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

JDxtra wrote: »
    There is life left in FM (and DAB). Spotify/Android Auto/Apple Car Play/bluetooth etc. are what is in demand from yonger generation.
    If Spotify/Android Auto/Apple Car Play/Bluetooth etc existed in the 1980s, commercial FM broadasting wouldn't exist; if anything, it would hold the position that Spotify et al hold today.

Some folk who pushed hard for a right to broadcast and provide choice to the listeners, now feel like they have an exclusive right to "do radio" and the law is on their side.

I can understand raiding a station that's causing interference to licensed operations or using spectrum that has a clear commercial value - that is - spectrum they could pay for but choose not to; however, with the exception of RTE and FreeDAB there are no licensed users of VHF Band III as allocated for DAB services.

I feel like this should be a case of "**** or get off the pot" - allow someone to make use of that radio space to provide a service for the public good rather than sitting on it because a minority are afraid that listeners might actually like what the alternatives are offering, that the mainstream are not.

Remember, the only reason we have Beat, iRadio etc is because in 1992 folks started ABC Power 104 and ran it in spite of two separate raids until 2002 and made the provision of a Youth-oriented radio service an election issue.

So what stations are on?

So what stations are on?
    88.1 Pirate FM
    91.0 Pulse
    93.2 Pure FM (new)
    94.3 Blank carrier
    99.5 Fresh 99
    102.5 RetroNow
    107.1 Club FM

Can't check 87.5, 98.4 or 105.7.

• Advertisement

88.1 Pirate FM
    91.0 Pulse
    93.2 Pure FM (new)
    94.3 Blank carrier
    99.5 Fresh 99
    102.5 RetroNow
    107.1 Club FM

Retro FM 92.0 & Easy 105.2 missing awhile now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

Pure Fm Dublin on Facebook. They mention their on a low power test at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Max Power 2010

Any saturday bandscan?

Must be your turn soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

88.1 Pirate FM
    91.0 Pulse
    93.2 Pure FM (new)
    94.3 Blank carrier
    99.5 Fresh 99
    102.5 RetroNow
    107.1 Club FM

Also during today:
    93.2 FM - Blank carrier (no RDS)
    94.3 FM - Unidentified playing dance music - could pick it up very weakly around Nutgrove - could be the same blank carrier later.
    99.3 FM - Relay of Energy Power AM.

1395 kh MW - Energy Power AM

Near Ballinteer I could actually pick up 99.3 and 99.5 (Fresh 99) quite clear, even though they are quite close in frequencies.

Must be your turn soon.

Would be except stuck down the country for work for next few weeks.

Would be except stuck down the country for work for next few weeks.

Give us a country bandscan then!

Give us a country bandscan then!

Kerry - Caherdaniel - Rte Rte Rte Today fm patchy, newstalk patchy and that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Retro FM 92.0 & Easy 105.2 missing awhile now

Retro have been off the last 2 Sundays - 16th and 23rd, while Easy have been off since early this week as in their own words they are 'under attack'

Apart from the stations already listed the 90s Network is on air this weekend on 98.4 and The Beach are sounding good on 105.7FM

Infoanon wrote: »
    Retro have been off the last 2 Sundays - 16th and 23rd, while Easy have been off since early this week as in their own words they are 'under attack'

Apart from the stations already listed the 90s Network is on air this weekend on 98.4 and The Beach are sounding good on 105.7FM

Easy were back on again this evening on 105.2. I also picked up an unidentified on 93.2 playing dance music.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

the station on 93.2 is called pure fm.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Max Power 2010

93.2 is Pure Fm Dublin i found out on social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Sunnyboy11

93.2 is Pure Fm Dublin i found out on social media.

Had an opportunity to listen to 93.2 this morning and I’m trying to make a positive statement on what I heard but I can’t The signal is very poor and for the audio what can I say it’s very poor also to say the least. It reminds me of that one man show on 99.5 Apologies for not been able to give you a more positive feedback.

Of the pirates this morning in Dublin :
    DAB still off air,
    88.1fm Pirate Fm,
    91.0 Pulse,
    93.2fm Pure Fm (No RDS)
    94.3fm Blank Carrier(No RDS)
    99.5fm Fresh 99,
    107.1 Club Fm.

Not just for Sundays, Retro FM is on 92.0 this evening.

Easy on 105.2 as well.

94.3fm now has RDS :All 80s. Sounds really good to

castle2012 wrote: »
    94.3fm now has RDS :All 80s. Sounds really good to

That's hardly the same station that was on 94.3 over the weekend playing dance music, with a very weak signal around Ballinteer and Nutgrove.

There are at least two stations operating on 94.3 at various times.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

This Evening -

91.0 MHz - Pulse RDS "HOT FM"

102.5 MHz - RetroNow Can pick it up on high ground

94.3 MHz - Dance Music no RDS

• Advertisement

Two transmitters on 94.3 FM in Dublin tonight, The strongest has a blank carrier, the other playing dance music, The dance station was winning out around Clondalkin

Advertisement